Rising tide worth it?

fredrikslicer

Tailor
I bought CivBE a short while after it was released and now Im looking at the summer sale of the expansion and I wonder is it worth spending money on or should I save for later? (Already have civ 5 plus expansion)

I'd been holding off on getting BE until I knew there weren't going to be any more expansions (Civ VI's recent announcement confirmed that) and it went on a sub $30 sale (summer sale did that). I've played it quite a bit in the past couple days and I have to say I like it quite a lot. With the right mods I'm enjoying it far more than I ever enjoyed V, though it has so few and not many modders willing to work on it so I don't know how long that will last.

Overall I'd recommend it quite solidly at the ~$20 it's running during the sale.

I got rising tide for 1/2 off a few days ago.

As my BE purchase was already sunk, $15 (cdn) for what is fix to a lot of the issues in vanilla is a good price.

I would probably not buy into BE knowing what I know now, but I commend Firaxis for trying with BE rather than letting it die knowing it was their B-team or mostly young devs who worked on this. I hope the experience they gained with this allows them to do a proper Alpha Centauri sequel, based on the Civ6 engine.

I'd been holding off on getting BE until I knew there weren't going to be any more expansions (Civ VI's recent announcement confirmed that) and it went on a sub $30 sale (summer sale did that). I've played it quite a bit in the past couple days and I have to say I like it quite a lot. With the right mods I'm enjoying it far more than I ever enjoyed V, though it has so few and not many modders willing to work on it so I don't know how long that will last.

Overall I'd recommend it quite solidly at the ~$20 it's running during the sale.

This is actually an assumption, and I would say is probably incorrect. Again, I am not sure if you are aware of this, but BE and regular Civ are different dev teams, so one product coming out with a new version does not mean the other suddenly get discontinued. Second, I have personally tweeted at the developer asking for news on BE a few months back(After RT and patches and such), he said, and I quote "Just you wait". Take that as you will, but it means something is coming, i'm willing to bet a second expansion, because in an earlier Interview, which may or may not have been before rising Tide, the devs had been asked about support for BE and content. He said "A civ game isn't usually considered done until it has 2 expansions" (In both of these instances I am quote Will Miller, one of the lead developers)

I would say Rising Tide is probably worth it at a heavily discounted price, especially if you already have BE, and if you enjoy futuristic games. Will it blow you away? Probably not, but it has some entertainment value.

Should you expect more content? Yes, you should. How much? Not sure exactly, i'd guess 1 expansion and perhaps 1 or 2 dlc's.

Those are my best guesses have followed BE since it was announced.

I'd definitely say it's worth the $20 you have it down for. It's not exactly the best game ever but it's far from unplayable. I have recently returned to it and I'm actually having fun with it

Top Bottom