1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(Rising Tides) Effects of the Relationship Levels

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by TheMarshmallowBear, Sep 1, 2015.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

So, sadly there's so many videos I've watched that I don't really know where to begin with.

But I've been wondering exactly the effects of the Relationship Levels we can do in BERT. Namely Allied, Cooperative, Neutral, Sanctioned and War.

Did anyone manage to catch a glimpse of the tooltip text it said?

I'm curious if Sanctioned does anything specific.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I've been wondering if they affect trade route yields or allow open borders or something.

3. Gritf

Gritf Chieftain

I've never seen where can you do the usual trade between nations either. Open borders, EPT, flat energy and beakers/turn. Anyone has seen it?

4. Eagle Pursuit

Energy, science, resources, etc are shared between sponsors via trade routes now instead of diplomatic exchange. No idea about open border, cities, war and peace bribes, etc.

5. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Well we do know from the livestreams that the bonuses for agreements increase with relationships. "Neutral" gives you the base bonus, "cooperative" gives you a slightly better bonus and "allied" gives you the best bonus. For example, we can see in last week's firaxis livestream at the 45 minute mark, that the agreement "tax haven" gives 1 free trade route in capital when neutral, 2 free trade routes in capital when cooperating and 3 free trade routes in capital when allied. I also guess that trade routes are not allowed under "sanctioned" and "war".

6. TheMarshmallowBear

I think the healthier relationships (Coop, Allied) actually enable Open Borders.

War Scores are implemented to handle Peace Term Deals.

7. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I found the tooltip for cooperation from a previous firaxis live stream around the 6:58 mark.

Cooperative
    new agreements are available and previous agreements are more effective
    factions can trade basic yields and strategic resources
    factions share open borders

8. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Nice find! :goodjob:

9. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Thanks. I wish I could find the tootip for an alliance. Cooperation seems to give a lot so I am wondering what an alliance does, other than better agreements. I know in the 2K live stream, they mentioned that alliances do force players to join wars that their allies start. So if two opposing alliances form, you would get a domino effect leading to a world war if just one civ declares war.

10. TheMarshmallowBear

Thanks SupermacyKing2

Alliance was not seen so I don't know its benefits HOWEVER

COOPERATIVE - New Agreements are available, and previously available agreements are more effective. Factions can trade basic yields and Strategic Resources. Factions share open borders.

and

SANCTIONED - Trade between factions is suspended

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

12. Eagle Pursuit

So if you want another sponsor to share resources with you, you will have to allow open borders.

13. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Oh, I assumed Cooperative and up automatically start to share open borders.

EDIT: Oops, misread your post. :)

14. Eagle Pursuit

They do. They are also the only way to get strategic resources from other sponsors. So if you want their resources, you have to let them trample on your lawn.

15. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Diplomacy is a game of give and take. Gameplay wise, it is probably good for there to be a downside to getting strategic resources. It creates those "interesting choices", the devs are so fond of. :p

16. TheMarshmallowBear

I actually like this system, it's no longer the case of being selfish (I almost never open borders or even let other Civs take my resources, because I don't trust the AI to be good with them)

Having these options is better.

Now you have to decide, you want that +3 Trade Route in your capital, you must open borders and allow him to trade with you by being Allied.

17. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Oh, yes, it is a good system. I know in past games, I would just always ignore the AI's diplo overtures for open borders. Now, I have to consider that if I do, I am giving up a lot in terms of good agreement bonuses, and strategic resources. It gives me an incentive to actually DO diplomacy with the AI.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

Most likely both
    its a much better system indeed, i just ignore the AI in general last game i played i made ONE trade the whole game didnt even open the diplomacy screen after that.

19. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Yeah, me too, love it -- even the new war score method. I can't wait to try it all out. All these new methods are much more efficient, and it's just better design over the traditional open-table diplomacy system handling everything.

20. TheMarshmallowBear

I hope this system carries over to Civ 6 because I think it's way superior anyway, and removes plenty of exploits with the AI anyway.