River mouth question

Woodreaux

Prince
As you can see, the city lies at the mouth of a river. I hate AI city placement. Whenever I raze an AI city, I usually blame the genocide on the AI for suboptimal placement. I'm kind of on the fence about this city I just zerged with archers.

I know river mouths provide the fresh water :health: bonus (or at least the lake immediately to the north does. What I don't know is whether or not this city, if allowed to stand, will be able to construct buildings like levees? It is an a rival's capitol, so it's in a good vicinity. But I'm not going to spare it if it cannot build levees.

Tiles whose corners are adjacent to river mouths have confused me for some time. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Cites placed diagonally at the Source of a river (touching the source of the river with a corner) do not count as riverside and don't get any of the benefits from it (no fresh water, trade connection and no river buildings like powerplants or levees).
The fresh water :health: in the city is from the lake.

Edit: However cities touching the River Delta with a corner do count as riverside and get the full benefits from it. Perhaps hence the confusion...

First off, thanks for 'splaining that.

Initially reading your response, I then got confused about whether that city was at the source or delta. For some reason I figured rivers would only start at glacier covered mountains... but then I followed the path of the river and notices it dumps out into the ocean.

Further review of the graphics showed the flow of the river, thus the city is clearly, as you pointed out at the source. Therefore, it is toast.
:ar15::cry:

Just out of curiosity, what game is the screen from? Is it from Civ 4 or from Civ 4 with the expansion pack? I am very new to the game(downloaded it from D2D last night) so I am trying to learn as much about it as I can. Thanks.

It's from Beyond the Sword and with some interface mod running - BUG or maybe the HoF mod.

I don't think this city could build a Levee.
But I would keep it for the 2 Cattle, Horse, and Elephant resources.

Welcome to the Forums dodgerphreak. :beer:

... how can you reach the 'phant from there? :p ... it's 3 places away :p

since none of the resouese is placed where a city 1s (that is ... noone shown) i'd maybe move my city there ... but it depends on if there is some wonders in the city and the like :p ...

I hate AI city placement. Whenever I raze an AI city, I usually blame the genocide on the AI for suboptimal placement.

Same here... I absolutely HATE AI city placement!! Absolutely fume over it!!! :gripe: :aargh: [pissed]

In most of my games, I'll end up keeping maybe 1 out of every 25 or 30 enemy cities. The rest get toasted. As for the poor citizens there? Sucks to be them.

since none of the resouese is placed where a city 1s (that is ... noone shown) i'd maybe move my city there ... but it depends on if there is some wonders in the city and the like :p ...

If I remember correctly, once you capture a city, after a certain number of moves, the border expands. That is how he would reach the elephant if i am not mistaken.

There is another Elephant 1 square to the NW.

Now that we've determined that the city is not riverside, I have a completely off-topic question:

What does the 2,4:strength: besides Roosevelts name mean?
I'm playing with this mod, but I've never figured out what this piece of is?
My guess is it's the strenght ratio between you and Roosevelt.. Correct?

What does the 2,4:strength: besides Roosevelts name mean?
I'm playing with this mod, but I've never figured out what this piece of is?
My guess is it's the strenght ratio between you and Roosevelt.. Correct?

Yep, its your power ratio relative to his... so basically the player's power rating is 2.4 that of Roosevelt's.

Top Bottom