1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

River Movement Penatly

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 12agnar0k, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

Movement Effect
    A unit uses up all of its movement points when crossing a river. There is no additional cost for
    crossing a river if a road passes over the river and your civ has the Construction tech.

So unlike in Civ4 where the River only cost 2 movement point's to cross, much like entering forests or hills still take up in Civ5, they've adopted the embarkment cost of ending the movement after crossing.

I believe this hasn't been mentioned before.

2. Ultimate_Waffle

Ultimate_Waffle The soul devourer.

It's been mentioned in the live gameplay video from 2k last Monday.

3. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

Yeah I listend to that, but he didn't actually say crossing the river would end the units turn, I just assumed they worked as always reducing a units movement, as he was still afraid of horses taking out his general, which is what I was afraid of and posted the message to not forget to protect his general where he then mentioned the river movement penalty was mentioned.
    But to anyone who did not like I pick up on the fact that moving across the river finishes your movement, it does :).

4. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

In Civ4 a river costs 0 movement points to cross (you only spend movement points for the terrain that you're moving to). A movement cost for crossing river is one of the many things that I missed in Civ4.

5. Lancor

Lancor Prince

In one of the Civ games rivers even worked similiar like roads for some units, or I'm wrong with my memory? :x

6. Niptium

Niptium Warlord

+1:goodjob::goodjob:

7. pineaway

pineaway Chieftain

Yes it did Either civ I or call to power I dont remember

8. Oerdin

Oerdin Deity

CTP used rivers like roads which actually makes sense.

9. Lancor

Lancor Prince

Would be cool if scouts could use these as minor roads, like moving an extra tile if they follow the river. For other units it's not neccesarily realistic and maybe a bit imbalanced.

But the crossing penalty is both a nice balancing feature and somewhat logical... although they could really add a modern technology for modern day pioneers which reduce or eleminate this penalty...

oh so many things to mod! ;D

10. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

Actually on the 2 hour live stream he did in fact say that crossing rivers would have the side effect of ending a units turn during the 2nd part when he was playing a later game save as Japan. ;p

11. ipris

ipris Warlord

further he mentioned that it would not end a scout's (recon unit's) turn.

12. Wolle68

Wolle68 Warlord

So did Civ 2, but rivers in Civ 2 were in the tile instead of adjacent to it.