Rnes8: Run for President

RoddyVR

Veteran Board NESer
Background
The year is 2024. The US two party system has collapsed. The last elections were a complete mess rife with sabotage, cheating, recounts, bribes and even a murder. The end result was highly contested. The president of the last 4 years (who publicly split from his party the day after being sworn in as president) acomplished nothing except to expose that the two major american parties have been working as one for many decades and only showing a two sided face to the nation to keep up the appearance of democracy. The public has turned away from the major parties and now looks to the individual candidates of the new elections to pick a president from. For the first time in centuries the voter turnout is expected to reach over 95%. This makes most old truths about which state is conservative or liberal or prolife or prochoice or any other old defenition prety much mute, with so many new voters it is almost imposible to know how which state will lean.

The Candidate
You have a home state.
You have a core political folowing in your home state from which build your candidacy.
And you have the Million Dollars that the government handed you to help you start your campaign.
And you have your most important asset: Your Time.

Turns
Every turn, you can spend your time doing two things: Raising money for your campaign or Getting the people to Vote for you.
And you can also spend any amount of your saved up money on TV adds, Newspaper spreads/stories or any other way you can come up with to get the people of a state to vote for you.
Each turn will be two days, though i may skip some weekend updates (which would make it a monday-wednesday-friday update schedule), reguardless of sent and unsent orders. If you do not send orders, then I will use your orders from the turn before, and do the same thing again.

Voters
Every state has a pool of undecided voters that you need to convince to vote for you. And then there are ones that have already made up their mind who you can try to win over.

Orders
Every turn you have 16 hours of your time to spend (you sleep for 8) and you can spend as much of your accumulated campaign funds as you want. Please use your time in whole hours (no 10 minute campaign stops) so that i dont go insane trying to figure out fractions of hours. but money you can use in any dollar amounts you want (so you could win a state by 1 dollar theoreticaly)

for each hour spent fundraising in a state:
$5k per point in the state at start of turn
$25k for each point gained in the state this turn.

Candidate with most Time spent campaigning in a state this turn:
1st place = gain 12 points in that state
2nd place = gain 6 poins in that state
3rd place = gain 3 points in that state
These points are taken from "Undecided Voters" pool, unless there are no more undecideds left in the state, in which case the points are drawn in equal amounts from all other (non winning)candidates (each looses same # of points).

Money Spent in a state:
1st place = gain 30% of your current points in the state
2nd place = gain 15% of your current points in the state
taken from all categories fairly (each looses same fraction of their points)

Ties:
A tie in any category (time in state or money spent in state) will result in both candidates getting the "winning" spot. So if two people spend 3 hours each in California and a third person spends 1 hour there, then the two with 3 hours will both get 12 votes gain, and the 1 hour candidate will get 3 vote gain (noone gets the 6 vote gain).

Visiting a state that you already control doesnt give you much, but visiting one you dont have any following in will give you a good boost there.
Spending money in a state you do not have any followers in will get you nothing. Spending money in a state you have a good presense in will give you biggest value for you money.
Fundraising is best done in a state you have strong support in, and/or are gaining more support there this turn.

Debate Challanges
If the regular campaigning gets boring and you want ot take a more direct risk against a specific opponent, challenge him/her to a debate. This is a bet between two (or more) candidates, they agree on the terms (how many votes each wagers in which states) and I will randomly determine the winner who then wins all the votes wagered.
Remember that both candidates have to have the EXACT same terms listed in their orders or the debate wont happen, and ofcourse both have to agree to hold the debate so this cant be forced on anyone, and it cant be used to steal votes or anything. I just REALY like randomness and wanted to include it in some form.

electoral votes map will go here (which states give you more toward the win)

EDIT realized i can use this map for the actual game map which shows who is winning which state. (that saves it being a seperate map)

Attachments

• Rnes8-0.GIF
    Rnes8-0.GIF
    20.6 KB · Views: 164
a reference map for those of us sane enough not to know all the state names by heart ;)
thanks to enchantedlearning.com for the map

sorry need the map in the new game, cant attach same file to two posts.

Players:
Capulet:
Presidential Candidate: Governor Mark Rockefeller;
Home State: Pennsylvania
Color: Blue
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Governor Bill Clark; Home State: Florida
Party: The Coaliton for One America
Base Support: Suburban families, "NASCAR dads," Independent Voters, Business-types
Party Base:philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Warman17:
Presidential Candidate: Thomas Henry Roosevelt
Home State: New York
Color: Dark Turquoise
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Alfred Schuyler; Home State: Pennsylvania
Party: Bull Moose Party; Base: Albany, New York

Israelite9191:
Presidential Candidate: Mayor Patrick Daley
Home State: Illinois (Chicago rocks!)
Color: Dark Green
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Congressman Israel Resnik; Home State: Flordia
Party: Liberals For a Diverse America (aka Liberals); Base: Chicago, Illinois;
Base Support: Minorities, Gay and Lesbians/Gay and Lesbian Rights Activists, Immigrants;
Party Base: Chicago, Illinois

Tommy Toon:
Presidential Candidate: Joseph Parks
Home State: Massachussetts
Preferred Color: Green
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Mariya Atwal
Party Name: Fight For Your Rights (Civil Reformists)
Support: PFLAG, GLBTQQ, Naturalized Immigrants, Environmentalists, Progressive Reformists
Stances: Agree's with gay marriage, a balanced national budget, and individual freedoms/responsibilities. Believes we need to conserve our natural resources/beauty, increase partnerships with other countries, and have less government involvement in every day life.

Insane Panda:
Presidential Candidate: Senator Julien McClellan
Home State: California
Color: Dark Red
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Governor Maxwell Smart; Home State: New York
Party: Federalist Party of America
Party Base: San Francisco, California
Party Policies: Fiscally Conservative, Socially Liberal.

North King:
Candidate: Jacob Halcyon
Home State: Michigan
Color: Orange
VP: Adam Abbasi--Illinois
Independent
Pro-Environment, Pro-Abortion, Pro-Social Welfare, Pro-Free Market, Anti-Monopoly, Pro-Civil Liberties
Base of Support: Liberals... and Liberals... yep... Mainly in the Great Lakes region.

Erik Mesoy:
Candidate Name: Erik Mesoy
Home State: Minnesota
Color: Dark yellow
vice president candidate: still looking
Political standing: In Favor Of Cartoons

Captain2:
Candidate: General Ernest Dickson
Home State: Rhode Island
Color: Red
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Captain William Koster
Party: Fascist Party of America
Base Support: rich people, anti-semites, anti-Communists, unemployed
OOC: i'm not really Fascist, I just want to try to have a fascist party, in r/l i'm a left winger

Human-Slaughter:
Candidate: J.P. Washington
Home State: Texas
Color: Teal
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Governor William McKinley; Home State: Tennessee
Party Base: Dallas, Texas

Toteone:
Candidate: Harm Rabb
Home State: Arizona
Color: Dodger Blue
VP: John C.Y.S. Grønvold -- Norway
Independant
Anti-Environment (but only if it's up against a military base or say a bunker), Anti-Abortion, Pro-Free Market, Anti-Monopoly, Anti-Communist (Anti-China), Pro-Military (pro-navy (carriers)! pro air-force!!)
Base of Support: Top Gun Military Academy, Military Elite (dude, he can make fun of 5-star generals and get away with it), Fighter Pilots, spread across the states but the most intense support is found in Area 52 Arizona.

states with 3-9 electoral votes have 100 "vote points" each, so when you get 12 points for spending most time in the state for a turn, that's 12% of the states vote you just took.
states with 10-21 electoral votes have 150 "vote points" each,
the four largest states (california, texas, newyork and florida) have 200 "vote points" each.

so the bigger states will take a bit more work to have complete control over, but since all you realy need is more then the other players, it wont make a difference for quite a while.

and one more just in case i come up with something else that i cant think of now.

You can post now if you want.

for joining, i NEED the following info:
Candidate Name (can use your cfc name if you want, wont bug me)
Prefered Color (to use on map to show that you're winning a state)
Home State (you get some starting support there)
you can also include if you want:
vice president candidate
political party and/or standings (no dems or reps please, those 2 get booed and stoned whenever they show up)
and anything else you want to include that'll make you more in character.

Prefered Color: BLUE!

Note: perfered color - grrr, royal blue ;)

So we PM orders?

Rockefeller Launches Campaign, Lashes Out At D.C. Insiders

PHILADELPHIA - Pennsylvania Governor Mark Rockefeller began his campaign at the birthplace of the Declaration of Independence, Philadelphia. After months of speculation and preparation, Governor Rockefeller announced his candidacy surrounded by his family and supporters. Declaring that it was time to "unite the various political factions of America," he declared that he and his party's most important goal would be to unite America and end corruption. Lashing out at the "Washington D.C. establishment," he blamed the collapse of the two-party system on corruption that was rampant in Congress. Rockefeller, who before the Great Schism ran as a moderate Democrat, formed the Coalition for a Common America as a political action comittee two years ago. After slowly gaining support among moderate voters across the country, it formally registered as a national party last June.

Rockefeller Chooses Clark as VP

TAMPA - Bill Clark, the populist southern Governor who campaigned against the rising gap between the haves and have-nots in America has been chosen as the CFCA's vice-presidential candidate by Pennsylvania Governor and Presidential Candidate Governor Mark Rockefeller, launching "a new team for a new America".

Governor Rockefeller's decision to pick the Florida governor from a large field of candidates was leaked to the media shortly before he was scheduled to make the public announcement at a rally in Tampa, Florida.

While Governor Clark's' populist message worked well among some voters, especially African-Americans and low income earners, many opponents accused him slick cynicism. Governor Clark was known as a maverick Republican before the Great Schism, before switching his party affiliation to the CFCA after it went national. Governor Clark previously served two terms as Florida's Secretary of State, before winning a landslide victory against U.S. House Rep. Jim Floyd in last year's gubernatorial race.

Conferming the Liberals
Liberals For a Diverse America Have Anounced Candidate
Chicago mayor, Patrick Daley, has taken the reigns of the Liberals' party in the presidential race. A member of the Daley dynasty, he was brought up in an Irish-Catholic family during a time of increasing evegelical protestant pressure on minorities and Catholics. A long time friend of Israel Resnik, vice-presidential candidate, congressman, and former rabbi, founded the Liberals for a Diverse America party shortly after the collapse of the two party system. After Patrick Daley signed up the party's base was moved to Chicago. Basing their positions on a belief that America's glory lies in its diversity and a need to protect the minority while representing the majority, they seek the support of minorities, gays and lesbians, and former democrats. Daley is currently begining campaigning in the Great Lakes region of the mid west.

Presidential Candidate: Joseph Parks
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Mariya Atwal
Preferred Color: Green
Home State: Boston, Massachussetts
Party Name: Fight For Your Rights (Civil Reformists)
Support: PFLAG, GLBTQQ, Naturalized Immigrants, Environmentalists, Progressive Reformists
Stances: Agree's with gay marriage, a balanced national budget, and individual freedoms/responsibilities. Believes we need to conserve our natural resources/beauty, increase partnerships with other countries, and have less government involvement in every day life.

Is that enough?

You guys can't have my Democratic blue. :p

Just to clarify, Roddy, did you intend this as a board NES or a story NES, or a hybrid?

Jacob Halcyon--Michigan
Color--Orange
VP: Adam Abbasi--Illinois
Independent
Pro-Environment, Pro-Abortion, Pro-Social Welfare, Pro-Free Market, Anti-Monopoly, Pro-Civil Liberties
Base of Support: Liberals... and Liberals... yep... Mainly in the Great Lakes region.

I'm not a democratic party clone, that's a my political view clone... No Democrat would be so blatant as I am. :)

Candidate Name: Erik Mesoy *waves American passport*
Prefered Color Dark yellow
Home State: Minnesota (no, really)
you can also include if you want:
vice president candidate: still looking
Political standing: In Favor Of Cartoons

Warman17 said:
So we PM orders?
yes. if you post them on the thread, one of two things could happen. 1. people will beat your every move by one (hour or dollar) and then you get nothing. 2. i may not notice your orders, since most people seem prety set on posting stories in this game.

tommy toon said:
Is that enough?
more then so, yes. 1st, 3rd and 4th line is all i NEED, the rest is just extra flavour.
North King said:
Just to clarify, Roddy, did you intend this as a board NES or a story NES, or a hybrid?
I never intend story games, but this one seems to be headed in the direction of a lot of storytelling. no one will gain or lose anything because of any story though, so its a board game. strict rules, nothing left to the mod's decision and little left to chance.

Top Bottom