Road To War - combat questions

Genghis Dhan

Chieftain
I'm having huge amounts of unexplained combat happening on a lot of my moves in the RTW Pacific War, 1936, historical events variant. It goes like this: I move some fleet of ships, carriers and planes, and in some cases landing craft carrying ground troops, next to some Japanese island or cluster of ships. I select one of my fighters and select "attack units" option. Suddenly this huge cluster of attacks and counterattacks takes places. The last time this happened I lost 10 P-51 fighters, that were not linked to the one I selected, and were sitting on the ground. They were attacked by Zeroes I can't even see. The ships were all atttacking each other. I wonder if this has something to do with all the "First Strike" promotions, like my fighter is attacking some unit with a first strike which strikes first against my cluster, against some unit which also has first strike and so on ad infinitum. But it's kind of disconcerting. I've played a lot of Civ IV and have no idea what's going to happen. Anyone know?

I also don't understand the power of the Zeroes. They are weaken than P-51s and have the same range, but I've seen them taking out reams of my Mustangs. I will say I should probably post more fighters to flying air cover and keep bombers out of the air entirely until Japanese fighter cover is worn down.

Top Bottom