[BTS] Road To War - Historical - 1.06

Yeah ... I am considering that impact quite seriously ... looking at reintroducing limits;

500 infantry divisions for nations, 1000 for teams, 3000 for the world

I have so far I have edited the strengths of the mega-units, so they will effectively be like over-strength divisions. However, I will probably need to give them all at least one respawn promotion and some will get two,

Calculations for cities have a much greater impact on performance than units I think. In the modmod I worked on for Modern Earth, I removed all of the settled great people, a bunch of buildings and units and this brought down turn one times to like 1.5-2 mins as America on my decrepit 2014 laptop. Granted, I did also remove about 1500 units, but most of those were immobile Machine Guns, and Terrorists who were either attacking or doing those Python missions throughout the first turn.

I have hit a road block. Only Germany, Italy and the USA is Playable, all other major nations lead to CTDs or defeated on start.

Weird as I play as Portugal, and the map loads and plays. So I am not sure why. As it is the same map.

This is probably silly to ask but did you make sure python exceptions are enabled in the BtS ini file?

Oh no. May need to re-enabled ... so out of touch

Well a couple of more interesting discoveries in playtesting. Divisions are created too fast, so will need to increase the costs. I will bases cost on how strong the unit is including initial promotions. This will take some research and correction. In addition, I will be reducing the number of promotions, on map units start with as well.

Considering Rock / Paper / Scissors analogy for Siege / Infantry / Armor, where each that gets a 50% combat bonus; e.g. Infantry gets a 50% versus Siege, Armor gets a 50% bonus versus Infantry and Siege gets a 50% bonus versus Armor.

Changes to 1.08 will be extensive

Restict units to religion being in cities
Remove Barracks and Military Academies from World Wonders
Reichstad to have Broadcast Tower, Check BBC and Eiffel Tower
Barracks required to build any ground units including reserves
Corps/Armies can only be build in Military Academies
Armies and Army Groups can only be built in Capitals
Generals can be built in Military Academies
Scientists can be built in Research Centres
Politicians can be built in Universities
Engineers can be built in Good Factories
Merchants can be built in Grocers
Great Spies can be built in Capitals
Spies can be buillt in Jails
Code Spies can be built in Jails
Fascists can only be built by Barracks + Fascism in city
Democrats can only be built by Hospitals + Democracy
Communists can only be built by Sewers + Communism
Neutral can only be built by Courts + Neutral
Remove Jails, Courts from World Wonders
Also unit limits will be re-introduced - testing showed this was unrealistic.

Probably a lot more changes.

In a strange 'turn of fate' in my extensive research into Generals and units, I discovered one of the generals has the exact same name as me. So I will be adding the General my mod with some "special abilities", albeit as only an infantry division. Think of it like an "easter egg" to discover.

Hello!!! I'm sorry I'm new to this and just downloaded the new update and neither the scenario nor the mod worked properly once the game was initialized. The scenario and mod would load up but once I went to star the game it was either crash and shut down or say that I was instantly defeated.

Hello!!! I'm sorry I'm new to this and just downloaded the new update and neither the scenario nor the mod worked properly once the game was initialized. The scenario and mod would load up but once I went to star the game it was either crash and shut down or say that I was instantly defeated.
Is your game updated to 3.19? What folder did you install into?

What folder is Civ IV installed in?

You appear to have installed in C:\Program Files (x86). If you read my thread --- https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/installing-civ-4-on-windows-7-vista-32-64-bit.408537/ --- I say "Windows Vista and later versions (7/8.x/10, etc), have changed the security model for the usual folder that the games are installed in (i.e. c:\program files\), has additional protection."

I suggest you install Steam in its own folder, via custom install option if available and then select c:\Steam as your folder. I have done this for my Civ IV Steam version on my laptop. This will probably mean you will need to re-install all your other Steam games, you may have.

I also have the disk versions and use c:\Games as per my thread above.

In addition, if you install Civ IV as above, any other mods should work as well.

Last edited:
What folder is Civ IV installed in?

Local C Drive> program files (x86)> Steam> Steramapps> common> Sid Meier's Civ 4 BTS> Beyond The Sword> Mods
You appear to have installed in C:\Program Files (x86). If you read my thread --- https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/installing-civ-4-on-windows-7-vista-32-64-bit.408537/ --- I say "Windows Vista and later versions (7/8.x/10, etc), have changed the security model for the usual folder that the games are installed in (i.e. c:\program files\), has additional protection."

I suggest you install Steam in its own folder, via custom install option if available and then select c:\Steam as your folder. I have done this for my Civ IV Steam version on my laptop. This will probably mean you will need to re-install all your other Steam games, you may have.

I also have the disk versions and use c:\Games as per my thread above.

In addition, if you install Civ IV as above, any other mods should work as well.

Oh okay gotcha. Damn that Windows lol.

Top Bottom