Road to War - Historical

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by kiwitt, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Russia's Armoured forces has been factored into the strength of it's armies and army fronts. Also their "Mechanised" corps performed so badly they had to be re-organised into Tank Corps, after encountering the Germans.

2. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Warlord

yea kiwitt, but remember that after stalingrad, the german forces were terminated by the new powerful russian forces..

remember that the russians crushed the german in all fronts after kursk, so at the begining of operation barbarossa the germans has the iniciative, after kursk, the german just retreat. So how do you reflect that in the armys of russia?

3. kiwitt

I have tried lowering the costs of units for the Russians significantly. e.g.

German Infantry Division = 450
    German Panzer Division = 800

Russian Rifle Corps = 200
    Russian Mech Corps = 300
    Russian Tank Corps = 450

Higher Level Units (Corps, Armies, Fronts and Groups) are based on combinations of these costs.

My immediate goal is to make sure Russia can survive "Operation Barbarossa" long enough for the Americans to make an impact. All my playtesting to date has seen them defeated in 3-4 months (as was the German's objective).

4. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Warlord

so maybe the russians are still very weak, what if do you increace the allowing russian units?....i mean, since 130 infantry units to 400 infantry units?...do you understand?...

remember that the russians forces just overwhelming to german soldiers in all fronts.......remember that germans maxium number of soldiers were 18 million in Wehrmacht, the russians red army 29 million men (US army in WWII has 16 million men in all fronts).....almost twice the ratio form soviets than germans..

but in the eastern front just fight almost 80% of those 18 million german, i mean 14 million men ..and for the russians..almost ALL troops were concentrated in the war agaist germans....so coinsidering this we have this ratio of forces

1 german troop for 2 soviet troops....

the ratio for tanks were even more overwhelming for the germans, almost 5 or 6 soviets tanks for 1 german tank...airplanes is just the same thing..

so in your mod, you must represent that huge forces of russia agaist the germans...and even lowering even more the cost for russians forces...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wermacht

the following information is in spanish, but just see the numbers of every country involved in WWII

just a tip : "millones" = "million men"

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werhmacht#Fuerzas_movilizadas

5. kiwitt

These are the current values in 0.39.x

German Infantry Div = 34

Russian Rifle Corps = 26
    Russian Mech Corps = 25

German Tank Div = 64

Russian Tank Corps = 45

In WWII history it was not unusual for the impact of a German Tank Div to change the course of the Battle. Often holding up whole armies. As to numbers, they mean very little, when you consider the effectiveness of each unit. The German's had superior training, tactics and leadership.

But I do agree, I will need to make sure Russia, can produce the units even more cheaply. I have already set the default difficulty for them at Settler, which reduces the cost of each unit to build.

6. kiwitt

Looking at making the MegaCities much tougher to attack

The defenses bonus I am considering are as follows;
    Code:
    City Population
              - 10%
      100,000 - 25%
      200,000 - 50%
      500,000 - 100%
    1,000,000 - 200%
    2,000,000 - 300%
    5,000,000 - 500%
    Btw: Development of 0.4x is now in full swing

7. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Warlord

kiwitt....how do you considerer the massive production of USA in your mod?, remember that USA was (and are) the most powerful industrial country in all history, in WWII , USA can make almost 40% of all things what you can do in all world....

i mean..USA can produce even more than URSS and Germany together..

8. kiwitt

See the massive amount of cities added to the USA map in 0.33.x ... many with Good factories.

9. fireclaw722

fireclaw722 Imperial Guard

In regular(without any adds) RTW, I could get(easily) the USA to overly out-produce anyone(even myself if playing germany or USSR).

10. kiwitt

Noted

11. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Warlord

kiwitt..some news about your new release? ...i am waiting that xD

12. kiwitt

13. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Warlord

ohh nice...thanks kiwitt

14. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Warlord

Dude...what bugs do you fixed in 0.33.xx version of your mod?.....

15. kiwitt

from here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=333624

Only one is a serious error to be fixed.

16. kiwitt

I am currently researching over 300+ individual WWII era, Battleship, Cruiser and carrier specifications to ensure accuracy of the strength values for these units.

Luckily I am not going to do destroyers, submarines and simply set these ones to the most common for each country. But these will still use the same formulae for deriving strength values.

Simliar to what I will do for aircraft.

17. fireclaw722

Another Idea(on ships):

There were many times when a British or German ship would cross(in Civ standards) within the same plot from each other, but don't fight.

The idea is that a player(not nessicarily[SP] the AI, because it probably won't understand it) can choose to battle the ship(or even land based units) or not.

Also this means that there could be a chance that a unit won't be seen by an enemy until a few turns of being near it(but if the units are larger in stack there is more of a chance that the INDIVIDUAL unit would be seen). That would also best simulate the misconseptions in battle reports.

This would add a different perspective on how someone would use their units(like putting them in less amounts of stacks and more of those stacks). The sad:)() part of this would be the fact that it would need to be coded in the Civ C++ Core(or SDK) so the AI could understand that some units may be hidden and that it doesn't have to engage in losing battles in order to get though an area.

[Also some units should be better in seeing enemy units that are invisible, and units that haven't been moved in a few turns it should be automatically visible to any unit within it's Line of Sight.]

18. kiwitt

One thing that is going to make a significant shock to most new players of version 0.4x will be the distance ships can move in a turn (i.e. a fortnight). Try to imagine a whole fortnight of cruising, where would you be travelling at 10 knots an hour. That is about 1-2 squares a day on a Europe Map.

The advantage is that the American's could be landing in Europe in 1 or 2 turns - scary thought !

And no "Blitz" promotion available for naval units.

These changes should make Naval battles few and far between and maybe more important.

19. fireclaw722

Not if the Americans are smart enough to see themselves entering the war and put a nice stack of units near England and somewhere in North Africa.

20. kiwitt

Considering adding some new nations to Europe. e.g. Portugal, Switzerland, Iran, Iraq, Arabia, Andorra, or others.

Please help me consider the pros and cons of each.

NOTE: Version 0.5 will probably be the last version for Civ 4. As I would like to start focusing on learning how to mod for Civ 5 and migrate RtW to Civ 5.