1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Road to War - Historical

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by kiwitt, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

I wouldn't delete them until you lose them. ;)

I look into the error message.

Yeah the subs, but you do get better ones later.

2. kiwitt

To the 20+ people who have downloaded SP1 - how do you like it ?

3. kiwitt

Starting to do a bit more development on SP1. In my own playtesting I have found some significant issues.

4. Gosea

Gosea Chieftain

I'm not quite sure if this was intended, but a while ago playing this I found that the Germans tend to only receive two unit promotions upon unit creation compared to what they'd receive in 1.04 Final, every city with the exception of Berlin which I'm glad about (only 3 promotions though). However they're still composed of many more promotions than units from other nations, which I like, considering Germany's numerical inferiority. I also like the new design for the panzergrenidier and the Heers Gruppe units, however it would be interesting if there was a different image for either the armee gruppe and the Heers Gruppe considering they're both Tiger II's with different camo schemes.

Keep up the good work, and I was wondering if you might unable the world builder, since I can easily add more aircraft and other various units, and even promote more units far past the intended amount?

I wasn't trying to be intrusive with the above comment though, just a bit curious.

5. kiwitt

Promotions: Yes that is as intended, however, they do start with more than most.

As the Armee Gruppe and Heers Gruppe are very similar in strength, I choose the differing versions for Tiger II. As to the Panzergrenadiers, I chose a lesser Panzer IV as they were almost the equivalent of Panzer Divisions.

World builder. Feel free to cheat ;)

My next version see the removal of city growth significantly, which will make populations fairly constant. I had Berlin up to POP 81 by 1940 :crazyeye: Also most towns under 3 have been removed and some changed to 4 if they were significant.

Also military units now cause even more unhappiness in towns.

6. Gosea

Gosea Chieftain

Good luck and keep up the good work.

7. playaveli

playaveli Chieftain

everytime i try to load this mod i wait about 2minutes then I get:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
    Application Version: 3.0.3.1
    Application Timestamp: 46ba12f3
    Fault Module Name: CvGameCoreDLL.dll
    Fault Module Version: 3.1.7.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a021192
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00060c40
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 4105
    Additional Information 1: 8485
    Additional Information 2: 84853502223d8164a31468861a7c3d71
    Additional Information 3: 25d8
    Additional Information 4: 25d83739a316c924703011c973ade79

any ideas?

8. kiwitt

It looks as if you are running 3.1.7.0 instead of 3.1.9.0. Do you have the latest patch ?

Also have you installed Civ 4 on your Windows 7 install as per ... this thread ... which also includes links to any patches you may need.

Many custom mods like this one, require Civ 4 to be installed in its own folder. e.g. c:\games\civ4

9. et1sw1064

et1sw1064 Chieftain

I have tried the things I am reading in the forums but i cannot get the historical to extract from WINZIP to the /BTS/mods/the road to war file. I get this error from winzip.

Extracting file: C:\Users\ET1SW1064\Downloads\Civ4RtWHistorical104.7z
    Extracting to "C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Gold\Beyond the Sword\Mods\"
    Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
    Extracting The Road to War - Historical\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack\Defeat.mp3 Unable to create file

I used to have the RTW mod loaded and working then my hard drive crashed and i cannot get it back loaded. Can someone assist a novice?

Thanks

10. kiwitt

11. et1sw1064

et1sw1064 Chieftain

Kiwitt,
    Thanks for the thread and the advice. I now have my CIV4 loaded and can start a regular game. now I am going to attempt to download your MOD which is now downloaded.

How do I correctly do this so I don't crash my game again and get those errors i showed you in the earlier post?

Thanks
    Tom

12. et1sw1064

et1sw1064 Chieftain

Kiwitt,
    So far so good I got it extracted to the BTS/mods folder. thanks for all your help thus far.
    Tom

13. et1sw1064

et1sw1064 Chieftain

Kiwitt,
    I start BTS but your mod is not on the menu. Is there a trick i am missing to load your mod?
    thanks
    Tom

14. kiwitt

Does the folder path look like this

C:\GAMES\CIV4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War - Historical

And you have 3 folders in there - Assets, Public Maps and CvGameCoreDLL and some *.ini files.

15. et1sw1064

et1sw1064 Chieftain

Yes Sir that I do have

16. et1sw1064

et1sw1064 Chieftain

Kiwitt,
    Thanks for your assistance. I am up and running now. I really appreciate the help you provided.

Tom

17. drumheller101

drumheller101 Chieftain

I tried your mod and I loved it!
    Just one question, are the unit build limits set in stone or do they increase as your cities develop and/or population increases?
    With more population to draw upon you should be able to raise more troops.

18. kiwitt

Unit build limits are set due to the Unitclass value. i.e. you can only have a certain number based on the class of unit.

19. kiwitt

I have decided not to proceed with the current SP1 format. I think I have fallen in to the trap of adding too much, when in fact I should be following "A good designer knows when he has reached perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when their is nothing left to take away". i.e. "Less is More"

20. Osakasayama

Osakasayama In decline

Hello Kiwitt,

I really like your mod, especially the idea of "divisions", and also the historic content...
    I just gave up on a British game on April ftnt 1, 1940, after it crashed when I was saving, and the file pretty much blew up :badcomp:. I just wanted to make out some minor and major comments...

1) It doesn't really matter in a historical game, but I feel that the Nationalist Spain is just way too weak. I noticed that their mainland cities just gets trapped by Portugal or get captured by Azana way too easily, and since they both don't have transports, the Islands and Morocco just can't be taken. Maybe Franco should have some "German infantry Div" or "Panzer Div", and then he could overpower Azana.

2)The Britons just research waaaaaaaaay too fast. I actually got Meteor jets before the war even started...

3)I think the naval mines really need some changes. They shouldn't be captured as a war prize after blown up into pieces, and should be invisible. I'm not sure if that actually works though, since only destroyers could attack them and nothing else would be sunk.

4)The commando's are pretty useless, even when the British ones can swim across the channel and climb the Alps mountains. They just end up being killed by the "Armees" and "Korps" , or even by "divisions". Also, they can't capture cities. I think they should at least have invisibility, or (it could be overpowered) the priority to attack fortresses and Pillboxes, like the "Khmer elephants" .

5)Finally, its a really minor thing, but could you stop the events from reoccurring so many times? Its just funny to see Albanian airplanes to crash in Italy 3 turns in a row, but its annoying when mountains in Iraq blow up constantly.

Sorry for this very long comment...