Road to War - Historical

I would say try the original Road to war first ... see if that plays and then delete my mod and install it again.

Just remember it must be in the folder ...\Beyond the sword\Mods\The Road to War - Historical\

Anything different and it will not work.

It's in that folder. I get the same errors, no matter what version of the mod I try to play, including the version that is pre-loaded with the game.

Can it be a clash with other mods or something like that? I think I have Better AI mod running for example.

Thank you.

You need to be able to run the standard mods first. It seems as if you have not installed it correctly if even the original mods do not work. e.g. Next War, etc. A re-install may be in order.

Hi Kiwitt,

I see you are still active so I am hoping you can help me. I have downloaded your mod many times, I have installed it in the right location, and I can even run every other version of RtW there is. For me though, every time I try to run your mod by launching a scenario the game crashes on the screen where you pick your civilization. Happens on both single player and multiplayer. I am running the Steam version of the game if that makes any difference. I have also reinstalled CIVBTS.

I have never seen this problem before, do you have any ideas for what is going on? I downloaded the mod using the Mega link and it is the 1.04a version of the scenario. I have tried launching the mod in all possible ways to see if that would make a difference too.

Would it be possible for you to upload a German save start? If I can't load that then I know something really strange is going on. An Axis Hot Seat version would be even better.

I feel very frustrated seeing everybody else able to play and I see you made the changes I wanted to the mod. A quick check, I see that the file size of the mod is 461mb. Dale's version is 718 MB. Am I supposed to over write his version with yours?

I think there may be a problem with the download ... I'll upload it again.

I think there may be a problem with the download ... I'll upload it again.

You are awesome mate! Thank you!

--Edit, downloaded and it worked! I have to be up in 5 hours...but sod that, I haven't been this excited for one more turn in a long time!

Correct - Culture is controlled by city conquest.

Please help, I have a question. I don't believe the mod works on steam's version of Civ.

I recently bought Civ 4 on steam because the CD version was not working on my computer. My favorite scenario is Road to War, and the most popular and detailed mod addition to that scenario is the Historical Road to War mod. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=13097)
I downloaded the mod and placed it in my steam civilization IV Beyond the Sword folder under "mods". When I launch the game I click on Advanced Settings -> Mods -> Road to War | and then I start the game, but it doesn't load the Historical Road to War mod, and uses the vanilla version.
Any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: Problem solved! I installed the mod here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods

Instead of here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Please help, I have a question. I don't believe the mod works on steam's version of Civ.

I recently bought Civ 4 on steam because the CD version was not working on my computer. My favorite scenario is Road to War, and the most popular and detailed mod addition to that scenario is the Historical Road to War mod. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=13097)
I downloaded the mod and placed it in my steam civilization IV Beyond the Sword folder under "mods". When I launch the game I click on Advanced Settings -> Mods -> Road to War | and then I start the game, but it doesn't load the Historical Road to War mod, and uses the vanilla version.
Any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: Problem solved! I installed the mod here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods

Instead of here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Hey i bought it on Steam too and have the same issue. Dales version works fine on C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War but if i install kiwitts version where you did its not shown anywhere in the game. If i Install it at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods it is shown up under load Mod in the game. I can load the mod and open the Road to war Main Menu. But then under Scenario there is only Dales vision. I don t know if you can understand what i mean (complicated ^^) but maybe you can help me out? :) Greetings from Germany

Steam should not be installed in the c:\Program Files folder. Please re-install Steam into C:\Steam and try again.

Steam should not be installed in the c:\Program Files folder. Please re-install Steam into C:\Steam and try again.
For some reason it worked fine after i deleted the first folder(dont remember its name) and then put the 3 following data/folder into Mods/Road to war just in the same folder as Dales RTW
Have no idea how this worked buut thanks anyway

An interesitng observation. When I made this mod I had a Core-i7-920, 6 GB of RAM and a ATI 4870 and it struggled then, with turns taking minutes. I now have Core-i7-4790K, 32 GB of RAM and a 1070Ti and the turns now take seconds. I strongly suspect my mod was too complex back then, but is fine now.

Last edited:
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one! Is this a 'quality of life' update or are you moving forward with development?

Not ready to re-start development just yet (my wife has cancer treatment), but I do enjoy playing my mod. Especially as it should be played in "hot seat" historical mode, where I control all the nations of one side. I think one of the options could be also to pick the neutrals and watch the world burn around them.

As for development ideas. After doing my Global Modern Earth mod, my desire to do another Global WWII mod is just not there. I have always had more interest in the European side of WWII, due to all the land battles compared to the more island-hoping naval battles in the Pacific (except for China/Japan conflict).

One idea, I have had, is to take my Army Group, Army, Corps units and turn them into artillery support units and make the Divisions the actual battle units. However, one of the problems I discovered with that is of scale of army size. The reason I put them in was to reflect the true size of the German and Russian army sizes compared to the smaller nations.

I'm sorry to hear that about your wife and I hope everything works out. It is good to see you active on the forum anyway.

Top Bottom