Road to War - Historical

Well Memel successful switched to Germany when Czechoslavakia fell. So will change Memel from Poland to Czechoslavakia in an official 1.04b full release.

An interesitng observation. When I made this mod I had a Core-i7-920, 6 GB of RAM and a ATI 4870 and it struggled then, with turns taking minutes. I now have Core-i7-4790K, 32 GB of RAM and a 1070Ti and the turns now take seconds. I strongly suspect my mod was too complex back then, but is fine now.

Could it be that you have civ installed on a SSD on your new computer and you had a HDD on your old computer?
I mostly wondering for my own case when it comes too civ iv mods

Yes. It was originally on a HDD and now it is on a SSD as well.

I have also found a new appreciation of this mod and will soon release a new patch - 1.05 - https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/road-to-war-historical-1-05.641749/

NOTE: It still has a couple of CTDs, but not as much as before. I have chosen to save before I hit next turn just in case. Especially important during combat turns as they are a pain to do all over again.

Let me start by thanking the developer. Thanks for the enjoyment of the game and I appreciate the hard work.
The problem I notice is that Germany is too strong. I have an idea how difficult it is to balance the game, but when I play with Germany the game becomes interesting in the beginning of 1942 in my way of playing, and it is:
- In September 1939, I transported with the help of the battleships several strong units and took one city in the island of Great Britain and the same in continental France. By the end of 1939 (early 1940) France was capitulating, the island of Great Britain was completely conquered.
- I am transporting troops to Canada and Egypt. Because of the lack of roads, it takes a little longer to conquer Asia, but by the mid-1940s, I end this part of the campaign and find myself at the rear of the USSR.
- For the conquest of Norway I transfer the parachutists because they can use the enemy's paths and by the end of 1940 I end up with this country. So I find myself near Murmansk and develop the roads of Finland.
Given that I have conquered Canada and surrounded the entire USSR from here on out, it is only a matter of time and desire to complete the US and the USSR.
In this regard, it is possible, if possible, to exclude the possibility of transporting strong units such as OKW and a tank army with the help of battleships with the planned next update.

Sorry for my bad English, but I hope it is clear what I'm talking about.

^ I think you are talking about the Global Assault version

I have finally decided to begin work on Road to War - Historical 2 - Europe.

This will be a significant up date incorporating all the recent development of 1.03 beta, 1.04 release, 1.05 update 1, 1.06 update 2, and 1.07 update 3 which previews some of my ideas for Road to War - Historical 2.

The biggest change I have now decided on, is instead of mega units, these Army Groups, Armies, Corps, etc., will be like enhanced divisions.
Related to this, much like my research into key personalities in the 1.03 and 1.04, these will be even more accurate than before. For most units, I will assigning generals who were in change of the unit the longest period or were in charge during a significant campaign. This can mean you favorite general may not be in charge of highest assignment, but will be involved in his most significant campaigns. e.g. Patton leading the US North African Desert battles.

What this will mean is that all ground based units will be removed and replaced by historically more accurate units. Also changing will be a lot of initial promotions, which will be incorporated in the basic features of the type of unit. However, I will be adding Combat 1 thru to 6 promotions based on my perceived understanding of a particular general's experience or even future performance in the battles to come. e.g. Zhukov in the Russian forces.

As you may have discovered in 1.07 preview, the WW2 campaign starting positions (e.g. D-Day) will be as historical unit compositions, plus a few extra to reflect re-reinforcements that would have arrived in the following months. That is not to say the AI may also choose to modify these setups. But that is not a bad thing really as the AI may doing things that you least expect.
At the end of the day, I am glad I can still work on this game and combine my WW2 knowledge, with my computing skills and my inherent attention to detail, to create a game largely for myself that others can enjoy.

Look forward to keeping you updated as I progress the development.

Doing my unit history research, Russia is going to be one helluva an opponent. 1100+ ground unit all with 2 respawns.

I don't know if this is still being developed, but when I started a game and loaded "Toggle Enemy Units Display" in the max zoomed out global view I got this error message

Attachments

• DisplayUnitsError.png
    DisplayUnitsError.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 43
I can't speak for the python exception but Silos can only be built in cities next to rivers, though Great Prophets can auto-build them anywhere.

Units display error happens also in Basic RTW, so it looks like it hasn't Been fixed yet.

I can't speak for the python exception but Silos can only be built in cities next to rivers, though Great Prophets can auto-build them anywhere.
So cities not near rivers can't build anything except research/wealth/culture unless you send a great prophet there?

Thanks for replying ... that is exactly right.

Great to see you posting again Kiwi. I hope you're doing well
Thanks. I am relaxing playing Forza Horizon 5 these days.
My PC is now a beast --- 5800X / 64 GB RAM / 6800XT / 16 GB VRAM / 2 TB NV.M2 SSD --- must try it again on RTW Historical again one day.

Glad it still runs on Win 11 too!

HI Kiwitt,

I found this from a while back. I have version 1.07 and I have the same problem as this guy did. Playing on Steam, all other RtW work, playing through the scenario button. I wonder if you could give advice...?

Thanks!

Hi Kiwitt,

I see you are still active so I am hoping you can help me. I have downloaded your mod many times, I have installed it in the right location, and I can even run every other version of RtW there is. For me though, every time I try to run your mod by launching a scenario the game crashes on the screen where you pick your civilization. Happens on both single player and multiplayer. I am running the Steam version of the game if that makes any difference. I have also reinstalled CIVBTS.

I have never seen this problem before, do you have any ideas for what is going on? I downloaded the mod using the Mega link and it is the 1.04a version of the scenario. I have tried launching the mod in all possible ways to see if that would make a difference too.

Would it be possible for you to upload a German save start? If I can't load that then I know something really strange is going on. An Axis Hot Seat version would be even better.

I feel very frustrated seeing everybody else able to play and I see you made the changes I wanted to the mod. A quick check, I see that the file size of the mod is 461mb. Dale's version is 718 MB. Am I supposed to over write his version with yours?

A few problems with 1.07 version of this mod.
The 1st. one is a problem with nationalist spanish unit displacement. I cannot attack republican spanish colonies because that barbarian city spawned in there (I have peace with barbarians, I cannot have open borders with france nor declare war with anyone), these 2 infantry units are in interior Africa probably because they were displaced due to french culture (I'm not sure). Another problem is that nationalist spain cannot build any transport ships, actually most small countries struggle with this.
The 3rd problem- submarines can enter ocean, but destroyers can't, so submarines can only be destroyed when being on coast , because other ships aren't good at destroying submarines.
Overally this mod requied a lot of effort, and I think It's designed to fight as a state like britain, not spain, so the actual war may look much better.
error.png

Haven't been here for a while.
1: Spain should not really be played
A few problems with 1.07 version of this mod.
The 1st. one is a problem with nationalist spanish unit displacement. I cannot attack republican spanish colonies because that barbarian city spawned in there (I have peace with barbarians, I cannot have open borders with france nor declare war with anyone), these 2 infantry units are in interior Africa probably because they were displaced due to french culture (I'm not sure). Another problem is that nationalist spain cannot build any transport ships, actually most small countries struggle with this.
The 3rd problem- submarines can enter ocean, but destroyers can't, so submarines can only be destroyed when being on coast , because other ships aren't good at destroying submarines.
Overally this mod requied a lot of effort, and I think It's designed to fight as a state like britain, not spain, so the actual war may look much better.
View attachment 642530
Have not being here for a while.
As to your problems:
1: Spain should not be used a player nation. The best way to play is Hot Seat as detailed in my first post.
2: Transport Ships reflects the ability to do a massive amphibious landing. e.g. D-Day and can take huge resources. Remember, each unit represents 1,000s or even 100,000s of men and materials.
3: Early Submarines can only go along convoy routes and coasts, as can destroyers. Later generation submarines do not have this restriction.

As you correctly identified neutral nations like Spain are not well supported and should not be played. The major powers are where the action is. However, if you want you can play a neutral nation if you want to watch the war happen around you.

Where do I download 1.20 ?

Top Bottom