Road trip through the Rockies advice thread

warpus

In pork I trust
Hi All

I have a friend who is planning a road trip from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Victoria, BC. I had been planning an excursion to visit some friends in Alberta, so I'm going to try to align my visit with her roadtrip - try to time everything so that by the time I'm done partying it up with my friends in Calgary I can join her on her road trip and continue on to Victoria. I have never been to BC before so I am pretty excited :)

This is for anyone who lives in or has visited Alberta, BC, and the American states in that area (Montana, Washington, etc.).

We will likely be taking this route towards Victoria. It's the most obvious route and would take us through a bunch of pretty parks including Banff. It's not set in stone, and we are flexible, so if you think we should go another way, or have any detours in mind, let me know! We have already considered going through Jasper somehow, cause I wanted to see it, but it's a bit out of the way and doesn't seem "cool enough" to warrant that detour. Maybe on the way back we could see it if we don't end up driving through the U.S. edit: It seems like the drive from Banff to Jasper would be pretty spectacular. Tons of mountains everywhere. Has anyone done this?

What I am looking for is 1. Things to do along the way and 2. A different way to get back from Victoria to Calgary, potentially through the U.S. 3. Detours/changes/etc. to the plan

I already have 2 things on my mind. I want to do a hike to Lake Louise as well as a hike to Lake Moraine. Both these hikes can be found in Banff National Park.

Like I said I wanted to do a stop in Jasper, but.. we (for now) have decided to not go that way. Would it be worth it? I am mostly interested in cool hikes that take you to spectacular views.. mountains, glaciers, waterfalls, watever.. You might have seen my Chile or NZ pics - I'm interested in stuff like that.

I have also wanted to visit Glacier National Park in Montana - it looks AMAZING. It is a bit out of the way, but if we drive back through the U.S. we could make a detour and go see it. Has anyone been there?

Here's a potential return route through Seattle and Montana

We are renting a car, bringing hiking gear, and a tent. There is no timeline, but I figure even if we take a WEEK to drive to Victoria from Calgary, we are willing to do that. We don't want to rush the trip and miss any cool sights.

A big list of potential sights would be awesome, so that we can itemize everything and then figure out which way to go. Some of you must know of cool stuff to see in the area, so give me some feedback.. please :)

Hmm I can't help overall because I've never traveled around there, but I do have family in Seattle and my best advice in that regard would be "don't stay long". Seattle has some cool sights worth maybe checking out but overall my impression of it is that it's a pretty depressing city to hang out in.

Hmm I can't help overall because I've never traveled around there, but I do have family in Seattle and my best advice in that regard would be "don't stay long". Seattle has some cool sights worth maybe checking out but overall my impression of it is that it's a pretty depressing city to hang out in.

Really? I thought it would be one of the highlights on the way back if we decide to go back through the U.S.

The only thing I know about Seattle is that they have that tiny space needle thing. What else is worth checking out in that city?

I can't give you any advice, but I will be stealing all of it - this is one of my dream things to do!

I've never been to Seattle, but the first thing I would check out would be the Boeing factory. But that might only be me.

I can't give you any advice, but I will be stealing all of it - this is one of my dream things to do!

If I remember I could write up a summary for you once I return. You will probably have to remind me though :)

I've never been to Seattle, but the first thing I would check out would be the Boeing factory. But that might only be me.

Boeing factory, added to potential list, thanks

Well, I guess if you are into industrial things like airplane factories, then maybe Seattle will have some cool stuff. From your original post I got the impression you were more into natural landscapes and such, which Seattle will obviously be pretty short on.

Well, I guess if you are into industrial things like airplane factories, then maybe Seattle will have some cool stuff. From your original post I got the impression you were more into natural landscapes and such, which Seattle will obviously be pretty short on.

I've never been to an airplane factory, so seeing that would be cool for that reason. This trip will mainly revolve around natural landscapes, but we don't want to limit ourselves to that. If there are any concerts, forest raves, first nations sites, museums, stealth fighter factories, nude beaches, sites of cultural significance, or whatever, we want to know about it.

Not everything is going to appeal to us, but we are both pretty open minded and want to see a variety of things on the road trip. So it's not really that I'm interested in industrial things, but an airplane factory seems like a cool & different thing to see.

Seattle as a city isn't bad (I've lived in a few places, and am currently in the Seattle area). It is a bit grey here, but that's only a problem in the long run. We have incredible nature around here

Two places I'd recommend when passing through this state, Olympic national park and Mount Rainier... absolutely amazing and both pretty close.

I've driven through the Rockies more times than I can count and still love it... now you've got me thinking of a road trip...

If you would like to see the Grand Coulee dam and some great "lake" views, take this long cut between Moses Lake to Grand Coulee up 17. I tried to map it, but would not take the changes. It adds about an hour and a half travel time. I was going down 17 from north to south so not sure if the view is the same. Then take 2 across to Spokane.

I wish I could help more. I've done this drive three or four times but mostly in a commuter mentality not a tourist one.

1. The Jasper/Mount Robson route is beautiful. Find a way to do it. This hike is on my two do list, but I imagine you won't have the time:
http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39525

2. White water rafting in Golden and many places along the upper Fraser river?

3. Taking the Ferry from Horseshoe Bay is prettier than Tswwassen by a wide margin.

4. There are tons of amazing hikes in and around Vancity that I know quite well. The Lions would by my recommendation but you'd need a day for that. Seymour summit is about 3 hours long and gives you a panoramic view of the city from the summit. Deep Cove is right around the corner from Seymour if beach lounging or kayaking Indian Arm is of interest.

5. If you take the trip in Late July/early August and are in Vancouver on a Wednesday or Saturday you'll get to see a spectacular fireworks show.

6. The best place to go on Vancouver Island is Tofino/Ucluelet it would suck to miss it, but it's definitely a substantial sidetrip from Victoria.

If you don't go back all the way through the US, I would advise taking the #3 through to Crowsnest pass since the Kootenays is one of the prettiest part of the province and you could hit up places like the Ainsworth hot springs. You can go to Seattle and return to BC via Osoyoos. That's my route recommendation.

If you would like to see the Grand Coulee dam and some great "lake" views, take this long cut between Moses Lake to Grand Coulee up 17. I tried to map it, but would not take the changes. It adds about an hour and a half travel time. I was going down 17 from north to south so not sure if the view is the same. Then take 2 across to Spokane.

I would second this. If you are traveling to the Northwest, you have to get to Glacier National Park, but if you have the time to stay around Washington/ Idaho, the sights along the Snake and Columbia rivers are just great.

Hit up Yellowstone, it's an amazing place.

Too bad it couldn't be closer!

galdre said:
Two places I'd recommend when passing through this state, Olympic national park and Mount Rainier... absolutely amazing and both pretty close.
Cutlass said:
The Museum of the Rockies.
timtofly said:

Added to my list, thanks!

Orange Seeds said:
1. The Jasper/Mount Robson route is beautiful. Find a way to do it. This hike is on my two do list, but I imagine you won't have the time:
http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=39525

HOLY CRAP I WANT TO GO TO THERE

A 4 day hike I probably won't have time for, but.. Maybe there's day hikes in the area that will allow me to get to this spot? Maybe? :p

What's this Jasper/Mount Robson route you're talking about? Could you map it for me?

Orange Seeds said:
2. White water rafting in Golden and many places along the upper Fraser river?

3. Taking the Ferry from Horseshoe Bay is prettier than Tswwassen by a wide margin.

4. There are tons of amazing hikes in and around Vancity that I know quite well. The Lions would by my recommendation but you'd need a day for that. Seymour summit is about 3 hours long and gives you a panoramic view of the city from the summit. Deep Cove is right around the corner from Seymour if beach lounging or kayaking Indian Arm is of interest.

5. If you take the trip in Late July/early August and are in Vancouver on a Wednesday or Saturday you'll get to see a spectacular fireworks show.

6. The best place to go on Vancouver Island is Tofino/Ucluelet it would suck to miss it, but it's definitely a substantial sidetrip from Victoria.

Noted, thanks!

SuperJay said:
We're having a forest rave here in Michigan in a couple weeks, and it's just a few hours out of your way!

The funny thing is that the girl I'm going with JUST informed me of a rave in a forest in a BC somewhere, taking place early august.. $260 entry fee, though. But she knows someone who volunteers at the event, so we might be able to get in somehow for cheaper.

This is looking more and more like a 1 month long trip and not the 2 week long trip I was initially planning for :lol: Ah well, the more ideas, the better.

Whoah, $260 is ridiculous unless it's like a week long and has hundreds of bands or musicians playing. The one I linked is about $200, I think? The other festival I'm attending in West Virginia is only about $140 if you got the tickets early enough.

I forgot to mention, If you ever watched Dante's Peak (volcano) movie, Wallace, Idaho and that stretch of 90 is in the movie.

Too bad it couldn't be closer!

This is looking more and more like a 1 month long trip and not the 2 week long trip I was initially planning for :lol: Ah well, the more ideas, the better.

SEEMS YOU HAVE TIME NOW!

Honestly, it's less than an 8 hour drive from Glacier National Park. See both. It's a big caldera with amazing pristine scenery. Wolves, bison, elk. I mean, you'll be driving and have to stop because there's just a big ol' bison in the road. It's awesome. One of the few truly preserved places left in North America, at least that's easily accessible by car. You can meet my mom too! Just don't date her :mad:

If you do find the time to hit Yellowstone (which i also highly recommend), the route you'd likely take is the beartooth pass. Charles Kuralt called it the most beautiful drive in America. It's only open a few months a year and looks spectacular.

I was more fired up for the badlands than Yellowstone when i went through, boy was i wrong. If you can spare a day or 2, it is beyond worth it.

Top Bottom