Road Trip

Cyc

Looking for the door...
Cyc couldn't stop thinking about this foreign city Zearo had told him of. A land and people of different cultures. It wasn't so much the people he was captivated by, it was the tale of the city. How it had loomed over the Harbor. The stories the seas must bring in. The tastes and smells of foods from afar. Did all the roads lead to the water in an indirect way? On and on thoughout his day, Cyc was preparing his mind for what he might find once he came upon this city.

He had collected supplies for the trip. Lots of beef Jerky, the clubs, a walking stick, and a sheep's hide. He also made new leather wraps for his feet and lower legs. He was ready.

He told Zearo and Anaia that they could stay in his hut until he returned. As long as they took proper care of it. And they agreed. Cyc had been sleeping on his sheepskin by the door, while the other two shared the bed. And it would be that way again tonight. Cyc was anxious. He hadn't explored a new land in quite a while. It would be some days before he passed into unfamiliar territory, but he could do those days in quick stride.

Cyc was sharing his best food for meals these days. It was a good time. After eating, they all rested by the fire, Cyc still asking about the countryside around the city.

Then there was a knock on the door.

Cyc opened the door, to be greeted by Bowsling.
"I have heard you want to go on an exploring trip. I could come with you, and protect you." Bowsling offered, while whirling his warrior club in a loose circle.
"Sure, you can come. As long as you have your own food, I am okay." replied Cyc.
Bowsling rooted through his hide bag. Finally, he pulled out what he was looking for. It was a very ragged and uneven metal circle.
"What is it?" Cyc asked.
"I have named it a shield. It is for protecting oneself. Here, can you hold it up for me?"
As Cyc held it up, Bowsling took his club, and hit the shield. Cyc's look of terror that formed when he saw the blow coming instantly evaporated. The "shield" as he called it had absorbed the blow.
"You can keep that, I have two. See you in the morning." And Bowsling left the hut instantly.

After Bowsling's departure and before Cyc hit the sheepskin, there was another knock on the door. It was Civius. He appeared to be a bit on the forlorn side, Cyc invited him in to the fire. "You've been thinking about Marilyn, haven't you."

Civius perked up a little after hearing her name. With a slight smile he replied, "Somewhat, yes. But that's not why I've come." He went on to explain to Cyc how the club business was a little slow and to keep busy he had wanted to expand his wall, making it into an almost circular storage unit. With little detail, he said it could be used to store excess grain or corn from the farmers fields. But in order to do this, he needed more stones like the ones Cyc had bartered with.

"Ah! Well let me tell you about this place down by the river. If you head this way, towards the trees, there's a bend in the river,with a slight drop where the waters run rapidly. At that point you will find stones like those close to the waters white-capped surface. It seems the waters can actually shape the stones afters years of flowing over them. There is an abundance of stones there. I was lucky enough to find all the ones shaped like I needed. You should have the same luck."

Civius thanked Cyc and the two walked outside. There Civius had told Cyc a little about Marilyn. Not much, just enough to peak Cyc's interest. And then, with a handshake, he was gone. Cyc stood and watched his old friend move swiftly down the road before going back inside to the fire. He had a long day tomorrow, better turn in.

The next day the sun rose again in basically the same spot. Cyc was expecting it, of course, but had a private bet with himself that one day it wouldn't come up over the hills. So far, he's lost every morning. So he rolled up his sheepskin, gathered his clubs, tied all his jerky into a bundle, and put them all by the door on top of his new shield, where his walking stick was. Picking up his walking stick, he went outside to tie up some lose ends before leaving. Bowsling was nowhere in sight, so time was on Cyc's side.

He dropped by to see his friends and say good-bye. There was Molly, Sinead, Maehgan, Lisa, Jasmine, and a couple he was having trouble remembering the names of. But he'd remember once he was on the road. He was sure of it. He stopped off to see Civius at his wall. Cyc placed his hand on the clay and stone structure, just looking at it in wonder. "I've got it!" announced Cyc, "You can call it wonderwall..."

Civius just looked at him, "I'll take that into consideration, Cyc. Thanks." Another handshake, only Cyc was the one leaving this time. As he walked out onto the road, Bowsling appeared out of thin air. "Good Morning, Bowsling."

Bowsling returned the salutation and waved good morning to Civius as well. As the two men moved down the road, Cyc noticed that Bowsling looked prepared for the trip, garnishing his shield and all. "We have to swing by my place to gather my things, and then we can hit the road, Bowsling. Are you ready?"

ooc: His name is Bowsling, not billybones27.

"Yes, I am ready. I have even packed some chili peanuts, the chili gathered from far-off adventurers, as a special treat." replied Bowsling.

ooc: Sorry BB. My mistake. Bowsling it is.

After a quick stop at Cyc's, the two men crossed Tara with a steady pace. Dog tagged along behind checking everything out en route. Climbing the hills above the valley, they took one last look at the Capital city of Tara, before treking NW towards lands unknown. Bowsling kept up with Cyc's pace well. Cyc still held a feeling of excitement, but he kept it inside. Ocasionally stopping to check out some wildlife, or a waterfall.

On they went, in the direction Zearo had told Cyc about. The obious land features described were few and far between, but they were seen, verifying the course. The weather was fine, seasonally warm. The farther North the got the chillier the nights became.

After days of trekking through unknown territory, Cyc and Bowsling found themselves on the banks of a small creek, stabbing fish. Having caught their meal, and starting a small fire to cook the cleaned fish, they discussed the next day's route. They smell of smoke and fish brought a small family towards their area. Bowsling picked up his club and shield. Cyc continued eating. The family stopped where they were, some 40 yards away.

"Hail, stranger," Cyc didn't seemed worried about the family. "Come into our camp."
They moved sheepishly at first, but the smell and sight of hot food made them quicken their step a bit.

"We are the Smith's. Have you any food to spare?" Said the obvious father of the group. "We are on the run, and haven't eaten in days. Anything you can spare would..."

"Say no more. Come. Take my food. There is more fish in the river. I have some berries also. They will not make you sick."

The family devoured whatever was put in front of them. Bowsling and Cyc looked at one another, as if to say, haven't these people learned to feed themselves? Maybe they were from this 'City'.

"Where are you from and who are you running from?" Cyc questioned the man.

"We are from London. The English Capital. Evil men have come and taken our food, our gold, and our cattle. Kicked us off our land, they did. In the name of the government. We ran for our lives."

Cyc got directions to this "London" town and a few more details, then he directed the family to Tara, telling them they would be safe there.

"Thanks for the fish and berries, but we can't stay. We will head to Tara. Thank you." He then gathered his family and was gone. Cyc tilted his head as he looked at Bowsling. Then he picked up his fish-stabbing stick and walked back to the creek. "Keep that fire burning, would ya, Bowsling?"

Cyc now knew the name of the new City Zearo was talking about.

Top Bottom