Roads? Where we're going, we don't need... roads.

Theov

Deity
Hi.
I was tired of building roads everywhere just to add the +1 commerce.
I also think it makes every empire look the same, as it's just a spiderweb of roads and rails.

"Why don't all tiles have one more commerce to begin with" I thought "...and make roads solely for faster travel and for trade networks." Still a vital part of the empire. Defending the roads that connect now becomes a part of the strategy.

With workers being less important, I think a large part of the edge that the human player has over the AI goes away. And I think it makes Republic a bit less effective also. I think this balances the game really well and want to try it out.

So... I tried to edit it in the editor (just +1 commerce for every terrain that would have +1 if it would have a road; take away the commerce bonus of a road), but I ended up with workers that couldn't build roads at all. :confused:

It can't be that hard to do, but I don't see it.

Does anyone know how to do this??

Theov, the setting in the editor if a terrain holds commerce or if it doesn´t, is crucial for the ability if that terrain can carry a road or if it does not.

The first I know who described how to handle the question if a sort of terrain can hold a road was Ozymandias -who today has birthday- in his famous thread FUBAR Editor Documentation :

Assigning a “Road/Commerce” value of “0" means that a road cannot be built in that tile type - and especially note that the regular and LM terrains can have different values!

So a setting to remove the ability of holding a road from a type of terrain and adding plus 1 commerce to that terrain isn´t possible, as you must set the commerce for that terrain to zero to forbid the option that this terrain can hold a road.

Such a setting in my eyes isn´t useful for Civ 3 games with random maps, but it can be very useful to use these settings for fixed maps that in this way can be "programmed" to have special city graphics by using a version of the "Industrial Sprawl"-graphics you can find in the Civ3PTW\Scenarios-folder. To diferentiate between normal terrain that can hold roads and landmark-terrain that isn´t able to hold roads (or the other way around) can also be very useful to install "microzones" in that fixed map, allowing certain cities or regions to produce special units or buildings by only allowing these cities to have Access to certain combinations of strategic/luxury resources. I did such a map for SOE (Storm over Europe).

Spoiler :

Civinator,

Is the "HQ" an example of what you called the 6th culture group?

Civinator,

Is the "HQ" an example of what you called the 6th culture group?

No, the HQ (=Headquarter) is one of the special startegic resources of SOE (allowing to construct different Special Units in the microzones. In the Stalingrad-screenshot the zone inside the blue lines is a microzone.

Wow, that's sort of cool. It's a resource but doesn't look like a resource... pretty smart.

Top Bottom