Roads

naturalmwa

Chieftain
What have you found out about roads? I know they cost 1 gold to maintain, but is that only for the roads I build in my cultural boarders?

If I connect two far flung cities where most of the road is on unclaimed land, do i still pay for that part of the road each turn?

If I build roads in my neighbor's city, is that a form of economic warfare? Am I costing him the maintinance fee or do I still pay for it since I built the road?

Thanks

I know they cost 1 gold to maintain, but is that only for the roads I build in my cultural boarders?
No, roads you build in neutral territory will also cost you.

If I connect two far flung cities where most of the road is on unclaimed land, do i still pay for that part of the road each turn?
Yes.

If I build roads in my neighbor's city
I haven't tested yet, but I don't think you can build roads in other civs territory.

I think all civs pay the costs for any roads in their territory regardless of who built it, but its always possible to remove un-needed roads.

I think all civs pay the costs for any roads in their territory regardless of who built it, but its always possible to remove un-needed roads.

This could possibly be a nice little way to screw your enemy into debt.

Confirmed, you can build roads in other player's territory if you have open boarders.

This could possibly be a nice little way to screw your enemy into debt.

Since you pay maintenance on workers, and it can get pretty heavy, you'd probably be better off simply disbanding it if you had nothing better to do with it than cover your competition in roads.

it seems roads and units alike upkeep goes up for every two units, so 2 roads = 1 gp

You don't need to connect luxury resources to your network using roads. I messed up my first few games by not knowing this. :D

There're also City State missions for you to build a road to them.

What is weird is sometimes you will get the mission even if they are already connected, and then they auto-fulfill the mission on the next turn.

Because roads now have costs, combined with the social policies that give you bonuses if cities are hooked up to the trade network... they're going to be important. You definitely can't spam them, but you're going to want them in lots of places.

The most elemental setup is:

[C]===[C]===[C]

The fun part, however is when you have more then 3 cities in a straight line. You need to consider, when routing the roads:

- total construction time
- upkeep costs
- predicted future city placement
- anticipate future defensive needs for fast movement

My road layouts tend to look like a 3-spoke wheel or tree graph. The center city connects to the 3 surrounding cities, which then fan out to the next cities outward. The outer ring of cities is often cross-connected around the empire's edge to shorten movement distance and to provide a small bit of redundancy to the trade network links.

If I have a choke point or narrow valley with a fort built at the head (at a distance of 3+ units from the nearest city), I will often build a road running down the valley so that the choke point can be reinforced quickly.

In my tutorial play-through, the nearest city-state gave me this mission and then proceeded to leave military units blocking the last place I needed to build on to complete the road. They never cleared them away for the entire game.

In my tutorial play-through, the nearest city-state gave me this mission and then proceeded to leave military units blocking the last place I needed to build on to complete the road. They never cleared them away for the entire game.

You ran into the same mistake that I made.

One unit per tile (1UPT) does not always mean one unit per tile. Combat units can coexist with non-combat units on a single tile, but you can only have a maximum of one of each on a tile. So workers/settlers can be protected or work on tiles that have combat units on them.

But units with different owners don't stack, even if one is a combat unit and one is a worker.

Top Bottom