1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Roadspam

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Underseer, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Underseer

Underseer King

OK, first let me say that I very much appreciate that I no longer have to mess around with laying roads myself. That does indeed reduce tedium.

However, letting a brainless bot decide where to put the roads can have some pretty hilarious consequences. Sorry for not taking a screenshot, but I'm sure you've all seen it by now: roads everywhere, all looking like the scribbling of a crazed toddler on a sugar high.

Makes me smile every time.

2. blasto

blasto Prince

I appreciate the autolaying of the traders but I think removing the option to manually lay a road if you wanted to is an oversight. There are times I want/need a road that isn't specifically just for city connecting and now you can't do it.

3. Olleus

Olleus Deity

You can, with military engineers.

But I do agree that traders taking the straight line approach is messy. They should take the quickest route (fewest movement points), taking into account existing roads. This is specially a problem now that you can use roads in enemy territory and that Cavalry ignore ZoC. Lets fast late game units run absolutely amock

ilker likes this.
  4. blasto

blasto Prince

Ah, I missed that, thanks.

5. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Right, good joke they made with that one. First off, you need to build the encampment and buildings to even build the engineer, then it costs a ****-load of production to actually build the engineer, and then he only has two charges. lolwut?

I think the auto-roads was a good idea on paper, but it works horribly in actuality. Road spaghetti is horrible, and somehow still manages to actually not put the road where you want it. Plus the fact that you need to occupy all your traders with crap trade-routs just because you want the roads is completely counterproductive to the gameplay. And don't get me started on the roads-autoupgrade-within-but-not-outside your territory.

For this feature to work, what we need is some sort of trade route planner. Instead of the trade route going from A to B, I should be able to connect a certain number of cities with the total distance being limited by era. So if route has a maximum distance of 40 hexes or whatever, I should be able to say: Start in A, go to B, then go to C, and end in D. Outcome of traderoute should increase with number of cities it passes through.

Chinese American likes this.
  6. zagosya

zagosya Chieftain

wait, they don't? what?

7. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

When you enter a new era, roads within your own territory will upgrade automatically, while roads outside your territory (in neutral lands) won't upgrade. This means you'll have to re-trace the road if you want to avoid patches of older roads along your newer roads.

zagosya likes this.
  8. blasto

blasto Prince

There isn't a maintenance cost anymore right? That was my main complaint before when automated workers went crazy with roads.

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Nothing like siege towers attached to cavalry and tanks amirite :p?

10. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

What's wrong with lots of roads? I think there should be a lot more road spaghetti. That's what the world looks like, you know.

Getting full movement bonus from roads in enemy territory is a bit questionable though.

Chinese American likes this.
  11. Xur

Xur Prince

I'm all for realism when it makes sense, but killing off road-spaghetti was the best thing about civ5 in my opinion. I'd be happy to see traderoutes prioritising existing roads a bit better. I like my roads neat... I'm weird like that.

12. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

yep seeing all the roads everywhere makes the map look a lot more impressive and reflects the majestic progress of your civ. the detriment of Civ 5 keeps removing immersion and grandeur of your empire

13. ilker

ilker Chieftain

14. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

What gets me is roads will happily choose to go through a city state I am not allied with. The road is great for my trader but my still is hard to reach to defend quick over those hills and rivers for my pointed stick chaps.

I live near heathrow in the UK, do you know how many roads there are?

Underseer likes this.
  15. Underseer

Underseer King

Yeah, that can be annoying.