[GS] Rock Band Discussion

Lily_Lancer

Deity
Anyone knows how many concerts a rock band can perform? Is it unlimited, or only once per band?

Also, does it mean two indie rock band will revert a city instantly?

Anyone knows how many concerts a rock band can perform? Is it unlimited, or only once per band?
It appears that with each performance there's a chance that the band will retire after the performance. If not, it can do another one. So the total number of performances is random, and the rock band gets stronger after each performance and can level up to get additional promotions.

Also, does it mean two indie rock band will revert a city instantly?
Yes, but Ed mentioned that this is still being balanced. I certainly hope they do, because it's absurd.

Once a band preforms at a certain location, such as the Entertainment Complex of a certain city say Washington, they can't preform at that district again, so in a way it is limited.

If it is unlimited it seems terribly strong. Performing once per turn, and gives 500 tourism.

It is unlimited, however, it may only be used once per eligible location (University/Amphitheater/Wonder) per band and the band may fail and "retire" (aka die) and the failure rate seemed quite high in the live stream as 3 of the 4 rock bands used died after their first attempt. Also, the tourism yield seemed closer to 300 per use on average. The high yields are only on Wonder tiles and National parks with the proper promotion.

I was hoping for a mechanic that would undo my 3000 year old civilization in the laziest and least serious way possible.

Makes me think of the Singing Revolution, and the fact that Rock bands are unavailable until you unlock the Cold War civic, makes me think it's not very silly. And I don't think the art team behind the unit was lazy at all.

I can't believe they built this whole system on rock bands. They obviously had too much fun brainstorming all the promotions. I hope they put as much into fixing AI to use existing systems as they did this.

It seems strange that they can't play domestically. I would think they would have to play a bunch of domestic concerts to qualify to tour abroad. Like give concerts at at least 3 Campuses with Universities, 2 Theater Squares with Broadcast Towers and one Entertainment Complex with a stadium before going abroad. The domestic concerts should generate some small amount of domestic tourism and/or faith, and let them level up. Higher levels should also be a prerequisite for playing bigger venues abroad.

The chances of retiring on each concert seem high too. Maybe they should generate less tourism from each concert and have a slowly growing chance of retirement.

Neat idea, but rock bands are more 20th century than 21st. They don’t make money from albums anymore either because of the internet, except for the top three. Kind of an age tell from the dev team :) And actually Ed’s not correct about art music (classical) concert touring, that is allive and well, so the old system of having a great musician tour still works.

Anyhow it looks like fun with the new/repurposed mechanics and system, I’m not complaining. Seems like GS has everything and them some in it, justifying the price.

Neat idea, but rock bands are more 20th century than 21st. They don’t make money from albums anymore either because of the internet, except for the top three. Kind of an age tell from the dev team :) And actually Ed’s not correct about art music (classical) concert touring, that is allive and well, so the old system of having a great musician tour still works.

Anyhow it looks like fun with the new/repurposed mechanics and system, I’m not complaining. Seems like GS has everything and them some in it, justifying the price.
To be fair rock bands do unlock in the atomic era which roughly falls into the middle of the 20th century and I'm not sure you necessarily earn gold from performing, just tourism depending on how good they did. Also I am thinking more broadly and you could easily imagine them being a 21st century K-Pop band if you're playing Korea and still gain tourism by international fans wanting to come and visit.
I also do agree that classical music concert tours work well too. Just look at Christopher Tin Firaxis. :mischief:

Once a band preforms at a certain location, such as the Entertainment Complex of a certain city say Washington, they can't preform at that district again, so in a way it is limited.
So the idea is, the more districts you build, the more Rock Bands can play in your city, and with indie promotion your city will become independent more quickly.

It appears that with each performance there's a chance that the band will retire after the performance. If not, it can do another one. So the total number of performances is random, and the rock band gets stronger after each performance and can level up to get additional promotions.
I certainly hope that the odds of failure are proportional to the number of that band's past performances (e.g., 1 - 0.8^n), or it could get really swingy and luck-based (too much for my liking).

The key thing appears to be that each performance leads either to (a) the elimination of the unit or (b) a promotion to the unit so their next concert is more powerful.

In it's current structure, it's a snowballing effect that is solely RNG based.

In practice I think the "Religious Rock Band" promotion will be used, if at all, by players trying to throw a wrench into the works of an opponent rather than to spread religion themselves, if only because 1.) If you're going for religious victory you probably managed it well before Cold War, and 2.) if you somehow haven't, why in hell are you wasting your faith on that sort of RNG instead of units more guaranteed to win you the game?

But if there's a policy card that lets you pick a Rock Band's promotions (as Ed I think alluded to?) then maybe there'll be a few edge cases.

In practice I think the "Religious Rock Band" promotion will be used, if at all, by players trying to throw a wrench into the works of an opponent rather than to spread religion themselves, if only because 1.) If you're going for religious victory you probably managed it well before Cold War, and 2.) if you somehow haven't, why in hell are you wasting your faith on that sort of RNG instead of units more guaranteed to win you the game?

But if there's a policy card that lets you pick a Rock Band's promotions (as Ed I think alluded to?) then maybe there'll be a few edge cases.

I could see it being used as part of a larger strategy for a RV. Oftentimes I'll have a city or two that is pesky to flip because 1) it's very far away from any cities I own and 2) it's near a large population center of another religion. In the current game you'd either send a massive fleet of missionaries/apostles to convert, found a closer city and build it up, or conquer the heathens. But another thing you might be able to do in GS is invest just a little bit into rock bands and use them for other things until you end up with one with the religious promotion (ie: don't focus on it as a priority), and then hold onto it until you need it. Then, you could send the band alongside a modest number of missionaries--the band would convert the biggest city to start exerting pressure, while your missionaries can make quick work of the small ones now that you have a big centre of pressure.

Maybe we should be able to send the Real Housewives of Orange County into enemy territory.

If you can rename bands, then maybe we'll be able to make it happen.

Top Bottom