1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rock Stars + New Spaceport project = Reworked Cultural and Science Victory?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Temppu, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Temppu

Temppu Warlord

In the first streams, Ed mentioned about changes to CV and SV. Finally we get more involved Tourism, maybe the SV will require co-operation in the World Congress?

In the last stream, Anton spoke about the Rock Stars and new techs relating to reworked victories.

Are these the reworks Ed mentioned? I am terribly underwhelmed if they are.

Zuizgond and Julia97 like this.
  2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Me too. And GDR is the reworked domination victory apparently. I don't like these things to speed up the victories, it's like they don't have enough faith in themselves to create an interesting future era.

3. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I like the Rock Bands and GDRs but I agree that the tweaks discussed so far don't really qualify as "reworks". Hopefully there will be more to the World Congress, or something else we haven't seen yet...

Jkchart and Temppu like this.
  4. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Warlord

What is GDR, other than the former German Democratic Republic?

5. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Giant Death Robots (from Civ V, now in Civ VI with Gathering Storm) - revealed in the stream yesterday.

Chefofrats likes this.
  6. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Warlord

Adding a GDR is a rework of the DV, since the way you do war in Future Era is changed.
    Adding Rock Bands is a rework of the CV since you now have an aggressive way to impose your culture to others.
    New Spaceport projets are a rework of the SV since you will have to do more to win.

It's only underwhelming because people always have high expectations. But it's a rework, and it was necessary because of the existence of the Future Era which was necessary because of the new Global Worming mechanic

Deggial, Myomoto and Jkchart like this.
  7. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

It seems to be a continuation of the same thinking that went into Government Plazas in R&F: we need to give players a way to finish off their chosen form of victory more quickly.

GDRs accelerate the end game for domination. Rock Bands accelerate the end game for cultural victories. Royal Society already accelerates the end game for Science Victories, but there may be more coming.

Also, the Tier 4 governments seem certain to be a continuation of that trend: by now you've chosen how you're going to win, so here's a government to make that happen sooner.

So simultaneously they're making the game longer by adding a new era, but because they may be worried that this may make it difficult for casual players to win before hitting the turn limit, they're giving players the tools to get to the finish line faster.

Myomoto and rlw33 like this.
  8. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

I mentioned in the Inca thread, but I'm wondering if 'power' has been added as a requirement to the actual SV projects, making setting up power necessary for SV (cause it's so far underwhelming as just a boost for a couple tier 3 buildings).

But I agree I wouldn't qualify these as a full "rework".

Jkchart and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  9. Temppu

Temppu Warlord

Yea I did read your speculation that thread and this would be the only piece of these "reworks" that is not a single new unit or a single new project.

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I believe that they probably are.

Myomoto likes this.
  11. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

What is the new Spaceport project?

12. Steamboat Willem

Steamboat Willem Warlord

Exoplanet landing/colonization

Myomoto likes this.
  13. row2infinity

row2infinity Chieftain

Just to clarify have we actually gotten new spaceport details or...?

14. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

Not announced, but we got the new project's name from one of the tool tips in this week's stream.

15. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

At first, I thought the same thing -- speeding up a victory artificially, and really not adding more depth to the game.

Then it hit me -- and I hope this is a good thing (in one respect at least)

By reworking these victories, and having a straightforward way to achieve them -- they are simplifying what the AI ultimately would need to do to either attempt to win or at least give it a "run for the money" .

In the CV -- all the AI now has to be programmed to do is spam a bunch of Rock Bands -- aim them for the appropriate targets, play and hope the dice end up working out of them. Not allowing Rock Bands to be killed off helps to aid the AI in just doing that.

For DV -- all the AI now has to do is beeline Robotics, start spamming GDRs and target promotions in the future era by random to ultimately get to the promotion that allows for easier capture of cities. Had there been a bunch of newer units, the AI would "spin" trying to figure out what to do with the units. So, make it simple, one size fits all destructo-machine -- that can walk on water too and JUMP mountains.

Of course, getting to the Information age and it still being competitive with the AI is the bigger question in my mind. So far, the devstreams aren't showing me a lot of promise in this respect. When Carl as Hungary declared war against Poland, of course there were the initial denouncements and anger -- but no declaration of wars or pressure against the aggression. Not even a world congress "beg for help" that I saw.

Temppu, acluewithout and rlw33 like this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

To add on it seems that Mars has been reduced to just one project: Establish Mars Colony, and in the future era there is a new Exoplanet Exploration project.

On a side note, now that going to Mars won't end the game, it would be interesting if the city that you launch the project from ends up losing some population to simulate some of your citizens going to live on the Martian colony. It would be a small sacrifice, but something you would have to do in order to win.

Myomoto likes this.
  17. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Rock bands having the Religious Rock promotion helps speed up religion games.

It would be great if there were policy cards such as Televangelism (faith and pressure from broadcast towers), Creationism (faith from campuses at the cost of science), Moral Panic (increased faith and production at the cost of culture, gold, and amenities), and such to finish the religious game faster in addition to religious rock bands.

After all, some civs are that difficult to convert.

acluewithout likes this.
  18. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

Are you trying to tell me that war... has changed? That it’s no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicities?

19. Temppu

Temppu Warlord

It never does.

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

War..War Never changes except to become a big giant robot that vaporizes cities with a particle cannon. I missed that part in Fallout apparently. Although I'm sure Bethesda will just retcon it in. Who cares about lore.

ChocolateShake likes this.