1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocket artillery keep requires setup

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by cyther, Sep 24, 2010.

1. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

When I upgrade a siege unit into a Rocket Artillery, it keeps the promotion that requires it to setup before a ranged attack. When I build one in a city, it can fire without setup like the unit description says.

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Can you post a save, ideally showing one built in a city, and a siege unit that you haven't upgraded yet (with cash to upgrade it?)

3. Thighzen

Thighzen Chieftain

I've also had this happen to me. Unfortunately i'm past the point at which I would have a save file to give.

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

You can just check if a specific promotion has the <LostWithUpgrade>true</LostWithUpgrade> tag in CIV5UnitPromotions.xml.

The following promotions are the only ones lost with upgrades:
    OCEAN_IMPASSABLE_UNTIL_ASTRONOMY
    OCEAN_IMPASSABLE
    ONLY_DEFENSIVE

I thought I recalled other promotions ingame being lost with upgrades, but I could be mistaken, as you can't view all the upgrades on highly upgraded units.

5. Dusk

Dusk Prince

Edition: Digital Deluxe
    Version: 1.0.0.17

The save included is from before the attached screenshot. If you select the artillery on the left, just outside Shanghai (North North East on the map) you can upgrade is to Rocket Artillery, but it will still require setting up, unlike the freshly made Rocket Artillery right next to it.

6. ignite

ignite Chieftain

I had a catapult and a trebuchet which I upgraded all the way throughout a game to cannons, then to artillery, and finally to mobile rocket artillery. In the unit description, it says Mobile Rocket Artillery do not require any setup to fire. This is only partly true.

First, I cannot use "B" hotkey to tell the MRA to fire on a location without first using "S" to set it up, which is exactly what I'm not supposed to have to do, and setting it up consumes one of its movement points. However, the MRA can fire without setting up if you right click on the enemy target. Unfortunately, it doesn't fire from its location. Instead, it goes all the way into melee range to attack. When ordered to attack cities, it moves to adjacent tiles to attack. This defeats the purpose of it having any range at all.

Ordering it to attack a target by right clicking on the target of course uses all the movement points needed to get to the target and attack it, but it does not use one of those movement points to set up.

Edit: I've read other people on other sites mention this bug, and I should note that in the game, I never purchased MRAs directly and tested those -- that's why I mentioned that I was using upgrades. It's possible that I was only experiencing this because I upgraded them from artillery to mobile rockets and they "carried over" their set up.

7. Dusk

Dusk Prince

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Thank you both for a) reporting and b) searching the link :).

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

9. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Warlord

When you upgrade your artillery (that started as a catapult in my case) to rocket artillery, the new rocket artillery will STILL require to set up before firing.

If you make a new rocket artillery it properly does not have to set up like advertised.

10. Thighzen

Thighzen Chieftain

11. The_J

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

12. Dusk

Dusk Prince

Can someone move it to confirmed already?

13. The_J

It's not really a bug, because the XMLs say it's intended, so the confirmed bugs is not the right section.

14. Dusk

Dusk Prince

I see. I'd say it's a questionable game mechanic, but that's my opinion.

15. The_J

The implementation is just not good imho.
    I can see where this makes sense, but at this part of the upgrading path it's just nonsense.

16. diligence

diligence Chieftain

Don't know if anyone has noticed but it seems if you upgrade a unit it keeps its old special abilities. Which can be annoying when the upgrade boasts the opposite of the previous unit. For example The artillary units all have to set up before they can fire, except the rocket artillary. which if you buy or build a new one its fine. An upgraded version you still have to setup before firing. Also Gunships if upgraded from anti tank gun can capture a city even though the computer says noooo. :D

Anyone else have this?

17. wizzlestick

wizzlestick Chieftain

My gunships can capture a city and I have never upgraded one from an anti-tank unit (All bought in city screen directly) *shrug*

18. diligence

diligence Chieftain

Ok must be a mistake on the gunship but the artillary thing is still poop

19. ignite

ignite Chieftain

How is it intended? That doesn't make any sense at all. An upgraded unit should be exactly the same as a built unit. All this does is make me not want to build any ranged units prior to teching Rocket artillery.

20. Hitman Zeus

Hitman Zeus Chieftain

It seems a bit odd, to have two Rocket Artillery where one of them needs to be setup, while the other does not. Is the usage of a Cannon "worse" (after upgrading) then a newly built Rocket Artillery?