1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rogue city states that actually threaten

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Fabio1701, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

I would like to see city states be more threatening in the late game. I find that usually they are mostly allied with someone by the end, taken over for strategic advantage of city placement or completely ignored. IRL modern small powers can really set the tone of modern international politics. Think of North Korea or other small powers which can do a lot of damage actively to the world stage. Even if they are allied they should still create a ruckus. (As NK is nominally allied with China, the reason for them not simply being taken over by the south for all their crazy antics.)

- A CS which has uranium, is hostile and military could choose to build nukes, making attacking them (or their allies) more risky.

- A CS which is hostile and religious could harbour terrorists, in the form of a barbarian alliance, protecting barb villages in their territory?

- A CS which is hostile and mercantile could try to pillage trade routes going through its territory but not linking to itself (without declaring war).

- A CS which is maritime and hostile could create barb pirate ships which go out and kill things.

- A CS which is hostile and cultured could do... something... cool... I guess... :confused:

What do you guys think?

2. Ortega

Ortega Chieftain

i like the idea, CS in late game are mostly bonuses being fight over by Civs.
    somtimes i use them as meat shields when declaring war on enemy.
    it would make much more sense if CS would trigger wars (irrational CS) which would make you think twice before you ally with them.

3. Bulldog Bats

Bulldog Bats King

I agree - CSs could take a much larger role in the game. Military/religious CS could also try to ally with other CSs or civs and start trouble, either against CSs or civs. Like North Korea, they could demand concessions from civs to stop them from attacking. Mercantile/maritime could also take over trade routes from other civs - like the middle east can affect oil production/trade in the real world.

4. Sorinth

Sorinth Chieftain

I'd like to see CS simply being more aggressive when at war. They basically stay in/near their borders so are rarely a threat. They should actually send an invasion force if they have enough units, ideally their Ally would also be able to direct them against certain cities like you could ask AIs in CIV 4 to do.

5. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

concessions could be like, give us X money within 10 turns or we attack/obliterate X other CS you depend. This would simulate a rogue state blackmailing the international community as they so often do. More pressing than just a quest,l they could even demand things like trade routes, food, religion, etc.

6. Bulldog Bats

Bulldog Bats King

It could also make the later game more interesting. Part of the reason I have been going for domination lately is that soon enough otherwise, you know how the game is going to end, and you are just hitting end turn waiting for events. Anything to upset the apple cart. Imaging trying to catch up to the number one AI who is not in a good position for you to invade, and see him get nuked, or have to divert a bunch of his military, giving you an opening.

7. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

You guys should try a single player team game with an AI partner. It's really annoying to get drawn into wars against your will. Having a bunch of CSs doing this to you would be awful. People would just stop allying them altogether.

8. Bulldog Bats

Bulldog Bats King

That's kind of the point of it. No such thing as a free lunch. Maybe give a larger potential boost from an unstable CS. Just like real life - yes, you can ally with North Korea, but do you want to?

9. Icarus1

Icarus1 Chieftain

What about diplomatic and propaganda attacks?

Anyway, this would be an interesting thing to work with.

10. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

The point is to make some CSs undesirable as allies? Doesn't really sound that great. They already aren't a "free lunch" you still need to pay them off or do quests.

I mean theoretically it does sound like it'd be interesting but in practice all it would do is cause almost constant war and the forums would be full of screams to remove the feature.

This is sad, I'm usually a warmonger and win by domination more often than not and I'm the one who thinks this idea isn't a good one...:hammer2:

11. Bulldog Bats

Bulldog Bats King

I dunno - right now CS diplomacy is a snooze. Pay em off - do their silly quests, and you get something. I would like to see a CS actually do something in a war. If they are your ally, then they should help you attack.

Also would make late game more interesting. I'm a warmongerer as well. But the way CSs come into play is:

1. Can I satisfy him so I can get the happiness.
    2. Is one in the way so that I have to attack, or dodge through his men on my way through his land.

12. andreafin

andreafin Prince

- A CS which is maritime and hostile could create barb pirate ships which go out and kill things.

anonymous privateers would be the real thing they create. and then AI and player would have access to a controllable ship that isnt showing the nationality of its sponsor. or mercenaries/religious terrorist units that do same thing to trade routes and improvements on land of a nation whose ideology is offensive to the rogue city state. i keep thinking also you might need to task a spy from counter espionage or espionage to a third mission 'counter piracy/terror' where if it succeeds, it identifies who is behind any anonymous unit (privateer or terror/merc) destroyed by your own military or an ally. if you fail you learn nothing to prevent more attacks. or maybe wind up getting bad intel and denouncing the wrong place, with diplomatic consequences.