1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rogue the Game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by civ_king, Nov 24, 2008.

1. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

ok... i think this is open domain now(?) so uh i have rogue, its a game that uses DOS(?) and if i accidentally broke any laws, I'm sorry so without further Ado
    (i know Kael loves it)

Attached Files:

2. lordrune

lordrune Prince

Have you played Angband?

3. civ_king

yeah i have it... but never figured it out

4. rezaf

rezaf Warlord

While we're at it, there's also a exciting new website for finding stuff on the internet.

You gotta check it out, here's a link.
    _____
    rezaf

5. civ_king

been there done that...

6. civ_king

reading the instructions... not making much progress :confused::confused::sad::undecide:

7. d4nte

d4nte Chieftain

8. Xuenay

Xuenay Prince

Not entirely sure what the point of posting this was...

But Nethack for the win, anyway.

9. BugReportage

BugReportage Warlord

Try www.adom.de
    It's also still in development, I'm not sure if that'll ever get off the ground but the dos/win version of the game is very interesting. I believe there is also a Linux and Mac version. The game's been around a LONG time. ;)

10. UNpatriot

UNpatriot Warlord

Oops, looked at the new website, never mind :blush:

11. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

A Roguelike game I quite enjoyed was "Omega." Not as sprawling as most Roguelikes, but generally more coherent and IMO a better than usual feel/background. Been years since I've looked into them as a class, though.

12. Squiggs

Squiggs Chieftain

I concur. Dwarf Fortress lends itself to so many possibilities. My current project is making a throne room with lava falls. Next is a lava waterfall in front of a catapult to make flaming shots. :)

13. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

I liked Azure Tower and Chocobo Dungeon personally. Never had encountered these ASCII games before I saw those. Was actually years later that someone first said the word "Roguelike" to me. Call me shallow, but I like having a nice pretty graphic. Though my main issue with the roguelikes I have tried in the past 2 days is that the actual keys used aren't completely obvious in all cases.

14. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

Aye - Nethack and Dwarf Fortress have both cost me a lot of time over the years, though my final dissertation for my degree was actually an AI agent that attempted to play Nethack using emergent strategies (simple rules leading to complex behaviour).

It got to the Oracle. Once. Out of about 200 trials.

15. Schmoe

Schmoe Warlord

Awesome game! I'm actually credited in the manual, from some time back in the 1990's :)

16. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

Sounds interesting. Good to hear, that gaming could contribute in a positive way to your career. Usuallly you hear other stories in the news. :)

It works the other way around too, though. The stuff I study helps with modding. I'm studying stuff like cellular automatons, ant algorithms, particle swarm optimization and nucleotid alignments for example. The culturally linked starts mod I've written is actually an application of an ant colony optimization algorithm. Was a nice and fun way to try out what I had learned.

17. civ_king

what happened here? "wanders off again"

18. civ_king

what happened here? "wanders off again"

19. Caradoc

Caradoc Emperor

Rogue was one of the first games I ever played on a computer, back in the early days of Unix. We even got to play at work to test the tty interface. When I finally got hold of a PC, I moved up to NetHack and eventually found my way to the newsgroup. Having finally reached my ultimate goal of ascending as a Tourist. Seems to me that Rogue or NetHack would be an ideal game for iPhones and such.

---
    (Killed by an acid blob on level 1)

20. Xuenay

Xuenay Prince

Sounds neat. You wouldn't happen to have your dissertation anywhere online, would you?