Role Play Challenge: Gandhi the War-Monger

Take Cover over shock any time. Cover Axes can counter Longbows sometimes (And as such see continued use), but seeing those this early would be horrible.

It isn't an event with a choice. It simply gives axes the shock promo. Cover is not an option from the event.

It isn't an event with a choice. It simply gives axes the shock promo. Cover is not an option from the event.

Then take Cover with at the earliest opportunity...

Basically, never take Shock when Cover is an option.

Um, the event just said "Thow hast Shock axes, go and kill some melee units". I am paraphrasing a bit but you catch my drift.

You don't get to choose which promo you get.

Well yes.

But my point about Cover > Shock with Axes still stands.

Ummmm, no. In the open field axes are far superior to archers. Archers are also mainly found in cities where city raider promotions are superior since they apply to all defending units. The Ai typically promotes axemen to shock which means the axes in your own stack are vulnerable. And once you get swords then axes are for stack defense and you rarely get attacked by archers, and if you do even unpromoted axes will kill them. The onlt time I give axes cover is if they are wandering barb killers. Then it is combat1/shock THEN cover

Shadow, until +/- 1 AD

Spoiler :

After taking out Hannibal, Sury decided he wanted a piece of me and attacked. Sury also bribed Monty into war.

However, by the time I had researched Currency Monty was willing to talk about peace. I took peace money, then tech-whored my way to tech leader. Not by directly trading techs (Nobody would get his hands on Currency yet, and Cathy was the only willing to trade useful techs) but by getting cash for techs

Iron Working served its purpose in two ways. Not only did I have the tech, it also proved an useful bargaining chip. For the cost of Iron Working, Monty turned his armies around and backstabbed Sury.

After Yasodharapura had been taken, I took peace with Sury (for Mathematics + cash) as well. Yasodharapura contained the 'Mids and the Great Wall. Prize city! Currently, I'm in war with Hammurabi as well, but that's a phony war to keep some other warmongers happy: he is being dogpiled by Shaka, Genghis, Toku and Nap.

My strategy so far can be summarized as 'Mansa Musa meets Shaka'. Best said, trade-whoring while spamming troops. :D

Religious techs such as Priesthood, Polytheism and the likes are excellent bargaining chips for 'extorting' gold from someone - for instance, Polytheism could be traded around to Catherine, Boudica and Stalin for about 1000 gold in total. And you don't have to worry about giving dangerous military techs away.

That gold serves several purposes:

-running 100% science for indefinite time: 120 BPT in the BC's is definitely nice!
-if need be, lightning switch to Universal Suffrage, rushbuy troops for 5 turns then go back
-bribes: Genghis, Monty, Shaka and Alex on a map means legio opportunities
-or lose it all when Genghis comes on your doorstep. :rolleyes:

The first GP that came in was an engineer: he was used to lightbulb Machinery and get India to medieval troops ASAP (I'm always happy whenever I hit Machinery in the BC's!). I'm now going CoL/Civil Service and Engineering to get myself maces, pikes and trebs and go medieval on them, while possibly going down the aesthetics branch as well to keep research funded. I'm Buddhist for bonus diplo with the big civs (Cathy, Julius) and attack dogs (Alex, Shaka, Ragnar, Toku and Boudica). Sury is being taken down by Cathy.

When up to medieval, I'm possibly going to take Cathy out before she becomes a real threat. After that I can possibly take out Bull and Stalin out as well, and then turn my sight on the vast reaches east of me.

Diplo is a pain in this game. War breaks out in seemingly random intervals every 10 turns, and you're always pissing somebody of if you attack (The Hannibal maneuvre was costly in that respect!) not to mention the risk of getting somebody bribed to go to war with you as well. I've deliberately been keeping Genghis busy so I don't have to worry about my northern front, while giving in to a few of Cathy's demands to keep the southern front safe so I could focus on Sury.

I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to continue this game, though. It's already a big strain on my computer and the game is going slower every turn. I should not try to play huge 18civ maps...

When you say Sury has the great wall don't you mean sury has built you the great wall?

tough start but there are a good few nice city sites around. I'd consider settling a few more cities when sury and hannibal have been dealt with

Gandhi the war-Monger: Part II
Agressive Ais are just plain FUN! Stupid but fun!

We took on Sury, although he is still alive and has the Great wall! Apparently he built the dam thing in a city other than the capital!

Well enough of that

First the techpath: Masonry/Fishing/HBR. Impressive huh! Yeah we crashed the economy pretty badly although we recouped a bit at the end.

First thing, Sury is too close to us and being creative and all

We kept it, gold once the borders pop and a good cottaging city, not that we have cottaged all that much yet. The city fell fairly easily but Sury has axes and chariots. So we took peace.

Soon after

Gandhi is the ever popular guy!

OK we stopped trying to build/whip libraries and concentrated on defense and crippling Sury more.

The cheif threat comes from Hannibal in the west.

We whip/build an archer/axe in the capital which seams to be enough to beat off Hannibal.

We do take our force in the east at Sury.

Unfortunately, it's not enough to wrest the horses from him.

A view of Sury's past 2 cities

The problem here is that we simply do not have enough force to take either city.

We decide to get peace as much as we can. Hannibal came to the table after suiciding his stack on our capital. Stalin agreed, and Sury definitely agreed. That left a stubborn Zulu. While we are teching slowly, the world apparently knows alphabet, so

It took a while but we finally got a religion spread to us, and afairly popular one.

we have used the whip this game for mostly libraries to get an SE going which has helped. We are also starting to cottage and have jumbos and gold, so happiness and commerce are coming in. We are using the spiritual trait, jumping in and pout of slavery to save gold and avoid uprisings.

As we close in on HBR we pop a GS

No doubt about it, we bulb mathematics

A view of techs

OK, some tradability here.

THIS is a big trade, and I think I will do all I can to befriend the Khan as he is one of the few AIs who has not gone to war and has NOT requested joining a war.

And luckily we find iron within the capitals BFC

We continue to build an army (we have a settled GG in the capital) and after HBR we decide to save. Next tech is

Not sure here. Construction (cats and Jumbos) or Currency (economy).

The land

I am really not planning on building many cities right now but prefer to simply take what we need.

Cities

Beakers are a little low but will pop up once we rebuild some population and run scientists.

There are some more trade options, but I am reluctant to trade any military techs right now.

OK, two major items to do besides righting out economy

1) We need to finish off Sury, and I think swords and HAs can do it. After that we probably want to take out at least one more AI with cats/jumbos.

2) OK, who do we try and befriend? We do need some, Cathy looks promising, ditto Khan. Not trust worthy, but are any of these maniacs???

That's all for now!

Nice work on taking Sury's capital while fending off Hannibal and Uncle Joe. As far as your next tech I would personally take currency, your economy is in the tank and will go further in it once you take sury's last two cities. It will also open up code of laws for further economic recovery. I would personally go: currency/construction/COL/MC/CS? which should allow you to war after sury with cats and jumbo's without worrying about striking units.

As for which AI to gun for, Hannibal might be a good one for shortening your borders, he seems to be up against the coast to your west, he will also be one of the long term threats in this game. Who can you befriend out of this lot of bloodthirsty, backstabbing, warmongering chumps? Its a good question, Genghis and Cathy would seem to be good choices, although Ragnar can be pretty reliable if you keep him engaged in wars with someone other than you. In the end I don't think I would rely on any AI on this map excpet for maybe Issy and Sally and only if you share a religion.

i would like to shadow this but i can't stand marathon. can someone please tell me how to mod it to epic (or just post an alternate speed game)?

Load the savegame on marathon.

Enter worldbuilder.

Click "Save" while in worldbuilder and name it "Gandhi the Warmongerer" or something like that.

Exit to Main Menu.

Go to "Custon Scenario."

Click "Gandhi the Warmongerer" or whatever title you chose.

Pick leader.

Adjust settings accordingly (choose epic speed).

Start the game and have fun.

imho you should have settled on the stone. Nice work thusfar though. I would keep up the warmongering (construction).

I think Ragnar will be your best bet as a friend: you have shared a war and share a religion
GK might be a good choice as well. though he is rather close to you

For friends, Cathy, Kublai, and Ragnar.

Spread Confucianism to Kublai, and you've got 3 guys to bail you out if you get 5 more AIs DoWing on the same turn.

Load the savegame on marathon.

Enter worldbuilder.

Click "Save" while in worldbuilder and name it "Gandhi the Warmongerer" or something like that.

Exit to Main Menu.

Go to "Custon Scenario."

Click "Gandhi the Warmongerer" or whatever title you chose.

Pick leader.

Adjust settings accordingly (choose epic speed).

Start the game and have fun.

You also need to do a text edit of the worldbuilder save - you want to set # of turns and default speed to 0 so that you don't play epic and have to game go WAY past 2050, or vice versa have it end ultra early if slowing the game down.

If changing difficulties it becomes important to fix starting techs etc also, and clean the fog of war.

Edit: A math bulb is a viable part of a construction sling shot! Although I'm not sure of the relevance in this case.

Gandhi the War-Monger: Part III

We are surviving. Doing horribly, but we have not lost any cities and wipred out Sury! We are badly behind in tech, with little time to build anything but military! Still, hell of a game.

Let's start with the techpath: Currency/Construction/Fuedalism

We also got 1 GS which we used for am academy in the capital.

So first things first

A pretty decent trade for us

And then some bad news

Danged, and we were just geering up for another shot at Sury.

We did make a trade for backfilling techs and cash

I decided not to let old Monty stop my plan, not on this board so

What then hell.

And another trade

Hammarabi turned into a decent trade partner her.

We march onto the new Khmerian capital

Got the Great wall and scotland yard, nice haul.

And soon after

Ever the opportunist. he tried to capture the new city but we fought off his Prats. we never saw anymore Romans fater that.

Monty was pretty gnerous in this peace deal

I am guessing his land stinks.

Also sal declared war on us which was an issue as he had catapults. we managed to destroy most of them with HAs (week unit, Hah!). Soon he was generous in peace also

Soon after, following some rude refusals on my part for unreasonable tribute (700 of our 720 gold treasury) the Great Khan comes after us.

The good news is that Sury also declared war.

Leading to

Eliminates Sury and nabs us some gems.

Now, Sury should have LONGGGGGGG ago, not a well playted military game on my part. Still, we have yet to see a seroius threat at our cities. Oh sure the Khan send some cats towards our northern horse city, but he was mowed down and had some problems with Hannibal declaring on him.

Speaking of which, I have managed to get three decent friends which I will cater to: Catherine, Napolean, Hannibal. Why do I have a burning sensation in my back.

So we agree to these things

Phoney war as Isabella is nearly dead. Cathy also has Ragnar as a vassal, so one less moron to worry about.

After we tech Fuedalism we readjust civics

Made a trade with the only AI who wants Fuedalism, or will to trade something for it.

Not much, but we have some calender resources and we could use the commerce.

We also got several GGs (thankyou great wall) which we all settled in the capital. Delhi shall be just like Rome in the Julius game, a mega military capital.

The claimed Khmerian lands.

And techs

Yes, Cathy and Napoelan, my sugar momma and daddy! Cathy has given me meditation for free. very tricky peace here.

The cities

Seven of them!

So how do we proceed??? Now understand that all victory conditions are on the table, how to go about it??

we actually have ALOT of religions. I am seriously considering the following plan

1) Take out Khan with war elephants.
2) Spread religions.
3) Academies and perhaps try a late game cultural victory, again!

Probably impossible, but I am following the lone RPC rule: SURVIVAL!!! The skinney holy man has managed to go toe to toe with these agressive morons and I must dsay, has done pretty well!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom