1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Role Play Challenge: Shaka A Gentleman of Culture

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by madscientist, Jan 20, 2008.

1. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Some good advice. I do not think I can recatputre and raze my own city, but I would not anyway.

The Russian cities have to be addressed and expecially the SoZ city which definitely needs to be taken out one way or another.

WW is not much of an issue once I get chemistry as I will just ramp up the culture slider which helps many ways. The problem is teching towards steel while HC techs much further along.

2. Rhuarc

Rhuarc Chieftain

Just wanted to say I am following this with much interest! Can't say taht I'm going to play this, as Monarch is a bit out of my league at this point, but can't wait to see the next isntallment!

3. madscientist

Next Installment?/

Probably a replay of Shaka unless I cna actually win this. It is fun and if I lose it will be in a BLAZE of GLORY rather than the pitiful Peter games.

But really, the next installment?

I am thinking "Asoka and the Doomsday Weapon". Asoka on a Pangea map with assorted agressive/back-stabber morons. Asoka would be the only leader to start with Mysticism and he must found Buddhism. At that point I will use worldbuilder to give Asoka the gift of the gods (either 1 ICBM or 1 modern tank) in order to convert all the heathens to his religion. Game ends with an AP diplo victory, UN diplo (with all leaders adopting Buddhism), domination (if the remaining leaders are Buddhist) or conquest (if the heathen cannot see reason).

What do you all think of that!?

4. bestje

bestje Big Game Hunter

great going so far thats all 3 of the needed capitals
    I think culture bomb 1 GA straight away for the reasons Killroyan said and to keep a war going IPEX is right and you have to destroy or capture the SOZ

think Asoka and the doomsday weapon sounds good, i'll be following but i'll read anything you choose to write down!

5. Artichoker

Artichoker Emperor

The Statue of Zeus definitely complicates matters. I wasn't able to see it myself because I don't have BTS installed and therefore could not load the save file...

But regardless, WW only happens for battles on enemy territory, not home territory. So it's very possible to fight defensively while researching Military Science, without increasing WW.

6. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

Sounds interesting. A vote for the ICBM, since it is once only, and so you'll have to choose carefully when to use it.

7. CivMcNut

CivMcNut Having Fun At It

That was the kind of quick conquest that was needed. I think the main objective would be to capture enough cities around Moscow that would keep the cultural pressure off of it. It would be a major pain if that city revolted and flipped due to culture of all things. I think, already you've taken enough out of Russia that they won't be the top dog anymore.

I'm not sure what to tell you about HC, his being financial really gives him a leg up on reasearching. It will probably wind up being a race between him building a spaceship and your getting that Legendary Culture in Moscow. Perhaps you could start devoting more of your espionage points to studying what HC is up to and disrupting some of his cities.

Once you have some peace in place with Catherine, maybe you can start focusing on pumping that culture up while still doing some decent research. Extra culture slider % will prob help those captured Russian cities out a bit too, as I bet they "yearn to join the motherland" pretty bad.

Any wonders you can build? The cultural value of those is usually worth the effort on this type of game, even if the wonder is bad.

8. madscientist

Wonders are out as HC is hogging them all. Espionage is a good point I have thought of. If I can manage to tame cathy (alot of you think this is going to be easy, I beg to differ), I can direct the espionage towards HC and blow up those SS parts as he builds them. Between that and perhaps bribing GK into attacking we may get somewhere.

9. Artichoker

Artichoker Emperor

Bribing with GK with tech sounds like a good option. GK is the leader who likes to concentrate on military, which means he will fall behind in tech even further. However, you can selectively use techs to bribe GK into attacking HC...at least in theory.

10. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

I would say you should go all out against Cathy. I think you should get nationhood asap and whip/draft like crazy. Once she's gone you can settle down into peace. Imo that should involve getting the culture corps asap and generating as many great artists as possible (good NE site and a good NP site if possible).

11. madscientist

You have all inspired me. I march off to Shaka'a world, playing him the way he was meant to be played!!

12. madscientist

Shaka A Gentleman of Culture: PArt VII

Well this segment has absolutely not 1 turn of peace in it! WE sent out troops off against Cathy's cities all teh time getting no reasonable offers for peace (fool woman actually want Moscow back for peace!).

First we send a healthy stack off to Rostov

And proceeded to burn it to the ground.

We got a nice visit from the AP

Which passed! One less city in Russian hands.

GK make nice with Cathy but 10 turns later

Two fronted Russian was against 2 agressive AIs.

We made a circle arround Moscow to relieve culture pressure (we dropped one culture bomb into it).

That unpronouncable city to the south

Razed it

Took me a while to realize but we have very poor trade routes, so a timely trade with our Mongol colleugue

And we adpoty nationalism and mercantilism.

We march on Novrofad, after a spy sent the city into revolt

Which allowed us to capture it

And of course raze it. Cathy is definitely NOT a happy camper. OH, we are not too happy as we are getting sabataged by spies and pillaged like crazy. But we focus on the task at hand.

We assault Yekaterinaberg, first with a spy, then bring the rest

We capture it

And of course raze it. That cursed Statue of Zues has been elimanted from teh game, the gods be praised.

At this point I saved with the following option

The lady starts to see reason. I have not accepted peace yet, I wanted some opinions on this.

Power we are still behinf Cathy.

Victory conditions

Techs (yeah yeah we are behind)

Diplomacy

Note GK can be bribed to attack HC at this point although he's a littleporeoccupied with the Russian redhead.

And the empire to the west.

OK we razed alot, welll we sort of razed everything. No way our economy can support all those cities.

Our tech level is way behind and Cathy is on teh verge of gunpowder. She has military tradition and printing press which means she is 2 techs from rifles and cossacks.

Our economy is in horrible shape.

So, do we accept peace or grind it out. Gotta say our army is pretty beaten up and not sure we can hit another city now or have the production to build more units. The WW from the SoZ does not end until we declare peace.

So our choices are

Peace

War

I like to keep things nice and simple.

13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Looks like it may be a phony peace. Short to allow Cathy a breather before a return to war. Can you make sure if she returns to war you are better prepared for it than she is? If shes offering peace w/o demanding cities back she must be hurting. I think peace but prepare for war (but I'm not good at wars).

14. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

Cathy has War Weariness of 882, don't know what that means..

In Heridatary rule, of 1+ happy / Garrison troop, and vassalage/slavery.

I'd keep at her, raze or occupy the cities to your immediate North, cut off her supply of Happyness resources...and she'll be toast.

:goodjob: of raising those cities, especailly the SOZ...big pain. She trading a lot of resources to Vassal, and GK is in police state, his favourate..so its war war war for him...A nice attack dog to unleash.

she has '-8, this war spoils our relationship' so she must be hurting with the war, I'd keep at it...then unleash GK on HC....go in for some pillaging your self....raise ALL those towns........pillage his research.

If you keep raising cities, she'll have to spend time and troops rebuilding/garrisoning them again....

15. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

For some reason I can't see the screenshots but from what I am reading Cathy lost about 5 cities? That combined with the other cities that Cathy already lost and Genghis still eating away at her cities she will have her hands full. If you really want to the RPG to succeed then I guess it is peace and you should start to concentrate on the economy build up and get the great artist pump going. I don't know if you have enough resources for the cooperations (jewelers and creative?) but you will propably need them. Still so far, you are living up to your difficult task, so praise for that.

16. bestje

bestje Big Game Hunter

As you achieved your war objectives (from what looked a very bad situation) and Russia is now offering a sensible deal for peace I say take it and as Killroyan says get some culture going.
    HC is probably now the major threat to winning this game

17. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

War, definitely, don't stop until she is eliminated from the game. I would think it would be preferable to avoid letting her vassal to Genghis so you can avoid the motherland :( in the former russian cities.

At that point you can sick Genghis on HC and Saladin should be no real long-term threat to you.

18. Artichoker

Artichoker Emperor

Judging by the screenshot, that looks like to be the case.

However, we must remember that the year is still in the 1400s, and beating HC will become easier if more land is gained from Catherine.

Why? Because if the war against Catherine continues to be successful, Shaka will control much more land than HC, and eventually share a border with HC.

Defeating Catherine entirely will make HC more accessible to Shaka's troops. Having GK as an ally will increase the vulnerability of HC to Shaka's troops. These troops can be used to take out HC's economy and prevent him from winning.

Another benefit of continuing the conquest is that Shaka can gain more cities to support his economy. This means that the three future legendary cities can concentrate on building Wonders to enhance their culture, while the new cities gained from Catherine can take on the military responsibilities and possibly use hammers to buy research or money.

19. madscientist

Seams like a split between war and peace.

So here ar emy thoughts

WW is a big problem for us. We do not have the power to completely take out Cathy right now, we do not have the beakers to tech military science, and we do not have the production to build new units quickly.

SO I propose this, we take peace not, get the cash, ramp up the science to tech military science. We give it the 10 turns then hit cathy again as ahe sends her eastern troops towards GK's western forces.

Taking out HC, building wonders, getting culture ar eitems that can wait ad best not to get distracted with them. I think the issue is the immediate danger, and that is Cathy being alive to reattack later with superior teched troops.

SO I say peace for the immediate future until we tech military science, quick buildup, the hit her. The SoZ is gone, so half the WW. I also say I hit those northen cities and the one southern as they are difficult for her to defend and ship troops to.

20. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

do whatever is necessary to take out cathy entirely asap. if that means 10 turns of peace, so be it.