1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Role Play Challenge: Stalin's Iron Fist!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by madscientist, May 19, 2008.

1. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Update coming! We have progressed very nicely, and need maybe the biggest decision of teh game to be made!

2. Mesousa

Mesousa -8.38 -6.67

He has the Great Wall and you don't get GG points from fighting barbarians.

3. madscientist

Stalin's Iron Fist: Part V

We have shown the world the power of the Russian (or is it Soviet) army!

We upgraded as many muskets to rifles as we could afford, then brought them to the English border.

Time to get down to business.

We are teching Military tradion/chemistry/military science/astronomy/SteamPower.

And we decide to further stir the pot

No use letting those two get too stronge preparing for war.

We easily take that northern city

And let's look at power numbers.

Way ahead of Ragnar, Liz is falling (she lost ALOT of unit defending that city) and even with Joao. Hopefully Hannibal will lose some too.

We razed york, started moving a wall of rifles pillaging everything and moved our mega stack towards London.

We are popping cossacks/rifles/trebs 1 every 1 or 2 turns! Also one GREAT thing in OCC warfare is that the entire stack continues to move. NO need to leave a garrison troop of units in takne cities

Lost alot of wonder there, and a Buddhist shrine (come to think of it I also razed the christian holy city, oh well). Maybe not as solidly Communist as Mao, but I am the Chinese comrad would approve razing those holy cities!

Very quickly Liz is down to 4 cities. Interesting how stupid she was, after seeing my horde of units coming she continued to build the Spiral Minerat! She finally built it, I hope she enjoyed the few extra gold she got!

After destroying that southern city we move onto the last three. We also pillaged every damn thing we could find. Let barbarian cities spawn in this desolate area, Comrad Stalin has no problems with barbarians.

We got this great random event.

Got us a free scientist AND +3 health!!!! As things are going we may not even need the NP wonder and may opt for westpoint, IF we get that far!

Very quickly and asking Hannibal to join in we eliminated the hated English.

Sorry Liz, that's two RPCs in a row we got you destroyed, hope there's no bad feelings!

Very soon after Joao and Ragnar go to war against each other, and I use this to

The reason, Joao has rifling. Time to exterminate the vile Portugese.

This was the only city on our borders with Portugal.

Oh wait, first of all.

Yes, now where was I. We very quickly destroy the city, pillaging very little since Catheginian culture captured the resources.

And we move our SoD on towards the Portugese core.

Now, regarding Iron, we still have none. This has been fine and we do not miss cannons as trebs are doing a very nice job, and they are no susceptible to flanking damage from Crussairs which everyone seams to have except Ragnar.

After destroyong two Joao cities and cutting off access to horses we move on towards the core cities.

My only concern was Joao capitulating to Hannibal before we could nail Lisbon. What should we care? Well, the AP is in Lisbon.

We also had a nasty random event, volcano eruption destroying our horses. We quickly run workers there to repair the damage.

And very soon.

Joao and that dredded AP are destroyed! No Ai backdoor Ap win this game!

To be continued.............

4. madscientist

Stalin's Iron Fist: Part V continued

We saved here, teching Steam Power for levees and on the way to machine guns.

A look at Hannibal's lands

And Moscow, notice how I have lumbermills now!!!!!

Tech's are, interesting. Both Ragnar and Hannibal are 1 tech away from rifles!!!!!!!!!

Made more interesting by this

Ragnar has vassaled to Hannibal!!!!!!!

Power numbers show we are even with Hannibal and way ahead of Ragnar.

SO where do we go????

We are not 100% ready for another war although we could hold our own. The again if we wait there may be a serious tech/power problem. If we do go to war I say a very agressive hit deep into Carthaginian territiry while we use cossacks to repel counter attacks.

5. dubrown

dubrown Prince

I say go on, no time to waste now. Move that SoD towards Hannibal right now. If he gets rifles things will be tougher until you get Infantry. So the window is now or wait while Hannibal expands into deserted Portugise country.

Keep enough forces at home to beat back any troops Ragnar might send your way. If you manages to pin down Hannibal quickly, Ragnar will be a walkover and your soon home with the mighty russian empire. Too bad you gave hannibal those techs that leads up to Rifling. I would say that was a minor mistake.

6. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

I agree going for a Carthage push-back at the very least. Even if he gets rifles you likely have the ability to cripple him quite nicely. Not to mention your ability to pillage the lands and give him some war weariness with the SoZ.

Fight defensively with Raggie and you can possibly get yourself another General out of the deal as well.

As we discussed in the beginning, the biggest effort was to contain the civs so that there was no mega-civ created by opening up huge swaths of land. With two financial civs out there and lots of open land, it must be in your best interest to move forward now.

7. nbcman

nbcman King

I also agree with pushing into Carthage. It will weaken Carthage and could potentially result in Ragnar breaking free due to spreading into the open land. I would only attack Ragnar if he sends units into your territory. You will get 2x GG points from the GW as well as no WW.

8. CCRunner

CCRunner Deity

Raze Carthage and maybe some of the other core cities as well. Don't bother with the new cities close to Moscow. I don't think that you can completely wipe him out at this point but you can easily cripple him. Also, as other have said, if you take out some of his cities, Ragnar might break vassalage. On the other hand, Ragnar has mostly longbows defending his cities, so it might be possible to wipe him out now. Either way, keep warring. :ar15:

9. Cofuffle

Cofuffle Chieftain

I've never played a proper game of civ but common sense tells me --> Hannibal dies

10. uppi

uppi Deity

Go after Hannibal. You have to keep him from building settlers and grabbing all that land that you just have "liberated" from the capitalists.

If he settles all that land you will have to conquer it again. Hell, he might be able to get domination if he settles all that free land.

11. NintendoTogepi

NintendoTogepi Noble Pacifist

Hannibal, this is the hardest part, avoiding domination!

Oh, and get the NP still. It is worth it.

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I would go for the NPark 1st before Levees... it gives a massive science AND production boost (since you have A.W.)

SM, Biology (start running as many Engineers + Priests as possible for the Hammers) [Physics here if you have a shot at the Scientist]
    [Econ if you have a shot at the Merchant]
    Steam Power
    Econ, Rep, Corp, Assembly Line, Facism
    Steel (useless wo Iron), Railroad (useless wo Coal/Oil), Physics, Artillery
    Then if it lasts that long
    Combustion, Electricity, Industrialism

Also I would make sure you are in Mercantilism, as you aren't going to have any foreign trade the rest of the game.

13. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I would go for the NPark 1st before Levees... it gives a massive science AND production boost (since you have A.W.)

SM, Biology (start running as many Engineers + Priests as possible for the Hammers) [Physics here if you have a shot at the Scientist]
    [Econ if you have a shot at the Merchant]
    Steam Power
    Econ, Rep, Corp, Assembly Line, Fascism
    Steel (useless wo Iron), Railroad (useless wo Coal/Oil), Physics, Artillery
    Then if it lasts that long
    Combustion, Electricity, Industrialism, Plastics for Hydro Plant (if no Coal)

Also I would make sure you are in Mercantilism, as you aren't going to have any foreign trade the rest of the game.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Cripple him if you can. I lost this game precisely because 1 AI got powerful. If you don't pwn Carthage it'll settle all that land you freed up via conquest. Even if it takes the AI a while, you don't want to go 10-15 cities vs 1 with tech parity. It's a losing formula :(.

15. PaulusIII

PaulusIII Unholy Warlord

Hannibal must be attacked right now at all costs. From here on, you'll only start lagging behind in techs further because your research rate is lower than Hannibal's, and you'll need a considerable time to get an improvement on your offense.

Because you have no iron, Steel is useless. Machine guns are great for defense but cannot be used on the attack, so I'd say Railroad is limited in use at best. And the only units that will really help - artillery and infantry - seem far away, considering you need to tech steam power/economics/constitution/corp/AL for infantry and SM/Physics/Steel/Artillery for artillery.

Just go into war with Hannibal and don't stop for the rest of the game. With the Globe Theatre you have no war weariness anyway. :D

To me it looks like the best tech path is the Artillery path. It should look something like this:

Scientific Method
    Physics - If the GS is still available, great!
    Biology (part bulbed with the Physics GS if need be and if you need the GS)
    Steel
    Artillery

After Artillery, it's Rocketry to get SAM infantry. Regular infantry would be better but is 5 techs away at the point, in comparison to just 1 tech for SAM infantry

16. Carabodes

Carabodes Timid Viking Warlady

or; in the voice of Cato the Elder: "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam."

Go get him :trouble::trouble::trouble:

:D

17. madscientist

Russian Fury! The Conclusion of Stalin's Iron Fist!

We took everyone's advice after a few turns to reorganize a bit. We hit Ragnar and Hannibal hard, focusing entirely on Hannibals biggest cities.

Very quickly Hannibals #2 city is razed as well as another smaller city. He was in fatc quickly trying to settle former portugese lands and shooting for a sneaky domination win

As predicted, Ragnar broke away from Hannibal and we quickly took peace.

Power numbers for the Mighty Russians are truely scary!

We proceeded to steralize souther Carthaginian lands

Until Hannibal was trapped into this corner

And those two northwestern cities.

After teching Scientifi Method we see.

No oil. Who cares, Russian Cossacks are enough to wipe this trash off the map.

We capture and raze the last SE Carthaginian city.

At this point I entered worldbuilder to connect that lone island via tundra.

Here is the last view of Moscow before hitting Viking lands!

I opted to keep the lumbermills over forrest preserved figuring we do not need anymore GPs and prefer to have the hammers for more and more and more and more Cossacks. But first be built about 15 trebs (1 turn each) for the anticipated Viking assault.

We decide to attack Ragnar without the curteous formal declaration as the Viking slime does not deserve any!

As you can see Ragnar attempted to settle Portugese lands, weakening his techrate and thus preventing him from even getting to rifling.

A view of our mega stack heading towards Ragnar's core cities (at least those core cities LEFT!).

We exterminate alot of vikings.

Leaving the world to just 1 ice-boubd Viking city and Hannibal's 2 ice-bound cities. Note, we never declared peace with Hannibal. Made no sense as WW is not an issue, for us!

Soon enough

And before you know it

A OCC CONQUEST win !!!!!!!!

Power numbers showing how we were the lowest and soon turned into the highest!

Comrad Stalin's Polaroid

Thankyou all for you help with this game!!!! Recap to follow! I have included the save in case anyone wants to look at the Carnage of the world at the hands of the Russian Empire!

18. madscientist

OK, let's talk about the RPC

RPC Rules

1) well, since it was a OCC there were not really any! We did get the Conquest win which was required.
    2) The rules said we could add iron and oil. We added neither! While iron would have certainly helped, we did not need it as the Russian UU and agressive rifles/grenaders with supplemental trebs were satisfactory.

Why we won

1) Getting other Ais to dogpile Liz.
    2) Getting Joao and Hannibal to go after each other while I took out Liz.
    3) Weakening Ragnar by razing Nidros early, he never recovered.
    4) Getting a 3 on 1 dogpile of Joao who was at tech parity with us.

OR in another words, DIPLOMACY!

Also teh small map helps, with fewer opponents. 4 seams like a good number for OCC conquest, easy to get 2 and 2 matchups!

Thanks for following this RPC!

The next will one I have NOT discussed before

The English Bulldog! we will play as Churchhill on a hemispheres map with 7 continents. I will generate a few and ask the audience to let me know the one where Churchill has a continent to himself. Chruchhill may never leave that continent, even in war. Naval ships cannot go outside the cultural border except to intercept an incoming fleet althoug privateers are allowed. Churchhill MUST fight to the bitter end and if an enemy force lands or tries to occupy the continent he MUST fight until it is secured, no peace. All victory conditions are available.

19. semirami

semirami The Wolf

Nice game and nice win! OCC isn't as hard, as it looks. At least my shadow game was very easy.

AIs were far far behind in techs, they even didnt have Printing Press. The best unit I met was grenadier, few turns before the end Ragnar researched MS. Cossacks just eat everything, at some point I even didnt bothered with trebs.

The game is here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=275786

20. DesertRogues

DesertRogues Between Here & There

Churchill?!?!?!.."You ask, What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory - victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
    And my all time favorite, "...we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"
    So MadScientist...
    "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will say, "This was their finest hour." or RPC, whatever the case may be, look forward to it.
    Carry on Governor...