1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ROM 2.8 MP experience

Discussion in 'RoM Multiplayer' started by Carwyn, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

I'd like to start a thread for those playing 2.8 detailing their experiences with MP play, what problems they have and how they've worked around them, what works and how it plays. Ask technical questions here and maybe someone can answer them. :)

Thanks!

2. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

At the moment we are having many problems, described here.
    Spoiler :
    I am getting Very strange Errors while trying to play multiplayer with my brother. I dont know how to do the logging though.

Firstly, We both downloaded and installed in the exact same way RoM 2.8 Lite and Affores Beta8. Then i got an error report about the Folder: Modules/Jooyo/Sea Tunnels (In Affores Beta8) (I had have the rising sea levels option ticked which i think may have been part of the problem)

Understanding that Affores's Modmod may be the cause of the problem, we played a clean version of RoM 2.8 Lite, the only difference between our versions is that i have blue marle interface and he doesnt. I get the same problem as i had in 2.7 which got fixed. There are many weird icons above my city bar when i found a city; loads of 78's and 1 for each Religion spaced out. My religions screen is completely messed when i check it, and we get a OOS. As i said this happened in 2.7 (Not 2.71) but we fixed it by me leaving and rejoining, but now when i rejoin my PC crashes.

If you can tell me how to log the error then i can do that too.

I gonna try the hotfix and see if it works now

3. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

Hotfix for the interface? I'm not sure I'm following you. Does your 2.8 play normally single player? So far mine does (using 2.8 lite) though I did have a crash to desktop at one point. Never could get the OOS logging to work, so I'm interested in that too.

4. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

It works fine on single player for me and my brother, but all kinds of problems as soon as we go Multiplayer, we have tried everything i am even reinstalling Civ4 now to see if it wasd blueMarble causing the problem. Hotfix didnt work.

5. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

RevDCM isn't MP compatible so if you want to play MP you MUST uncheck revolutions in the game creation.

6. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

I've gotten multiple reports in LoR that people who succeeded getting it to play in MP in prior versions (using the RevDCM 2.51 core) were getting way to many out of syncs in the current version (using a RevDCM 2.6 core). I have just flatly stated that people playing LoR in MP should revert back to 0.9.6c. The same would apply to RoM, as both mods use a RevDCM core, in this case your best bet would be to revert to RoM 2.71. I will definitely keep my eye on these forums though, as it's the only active RevDCM MP forum, so if you guys figure out a fix, I'd like to know. But for now your best bet is to revert to the version using a RevDCM 2.5 core, which I believe was RoM 2.7.

Prior versions of RevDCM, while not being supported for MP, could at least be played with it (recommended to do with choose religions and revolutions off), but this latest update reportedly goes out of sync too often to be playable, the behavior is different. 2 players have stated simply attacking a barbarian caused the game to OOS in the latest update of LoR, and if LoR has an OOS issue, it's inherented from RevDCM, which means RoM will have the same problem.

7. Snub

Snub Chieftain

That's exactly our problem! I posted this in the bug thread of RoM 2.8.

What happens is that whenever you attack anything, barberian or civ, the game instantly goes out of sync. Strangly enough when barbarians or other (non human) civilizations attack you, so, when you have to defend nothing happens.

Is there a way to use the RevDCM from RoM 2.7 in RoM 2.8? Or is that just stupid :crazyeye:

8. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

You could use the 2.8 beta, I guess, which maybe still has older RevDMC.

9. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

Looks like time to wait a bit (stay with 2.71 ROM) until something is worked out in 2.8 on this. There are some good upgrades in the game, so I hope they will fix 2.8 to be playable before the next full version of RevDCM.

10. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

Ok, we tried a MP game of ROM 2.8 straight up tonight. Sure enough, when we attacked barbs, it went OOS right off. Does the hotfix help this? Got it downloaded, but not installed yet.

11. Snub

Snub Chieftain

I'm gonna try it, I'll let you guys know if it goes out of sync or not when attacking.

Yeh, can't wait for a fix, we're always playing this game multiplayer and with RoM it's awesome :p

No the hotfix doesn't help this. I've also tried disableing everything in the RevDCM but doesn't seem to help.

12. Snub

Snub Chieftain

I tried the 2.8 beta on multiplayer.

The out of sync problem as described above is gone.

But still I'm gonna just wait for 2.9 to be released (hopefully with a multiplayer fix) and play RoM 2.7 for the time being since the beta version has its own, different, bugs: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=338967 :lol:

13. Lord Brooks

Lord Brooks Big Noob

We have been having the same issue that whenever you attack in 2.8 the game goes oos. Haven't tried playing without rev on though as rev really makes RoM and it worked fine in 2.7

Any news on how this will be fixed or when? Can't wait to play 2.8 succesfully on MP.

14. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

it should only be when attacking barbarians, and no-one knows whats causing it yet but they are working on it.

15. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

2.8 beta might be stable enough to play in MP. There are a couple of known bugs (like Astronomy has to be gifted to everyone to avoid a CTD), but it's working pretty good. I'm playing a MP game with my wife (hotseat mode, which shouldn't have usual internet and lan games problems) and it's ok so far (modern era reached succesfully).

16. Lord Brooks

Lord Brooks Big Noob

So many people play Civ with their missus. I wonder if Civ is the game of choice for lovers? All's fair... as they say!

17. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

Oh come now, this is a nice friendly game of "take over the world"!! My husband plays sometimes with our group, but he's too busy to really get into it. Mostly we try to set it so hard we have to work together to survive.

18. Lord Brooks

Lord Brooks Big Noob

That's so sweet, arm in arm,taking on the world! Reminds me of a song by Space; Me and You versus the World...

I play against my girlfriend occaisionally but she gets tetchy when I start imposing my religion on her or if I supply her enemies with strategic resources! :confused:

19. dexter_inside

dexter_inside Warlord

How about hot seat? Did you try it on 2.8?
    I like to "do" my neighbours on my 30-incher :D

20. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

No, haven't played hot seat - we just use the LAN or internet setting and play real time.