1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ROM Tech Tree and Research

Discussion in 'RoM Strategy & Tips' started by Sparrowsraven, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Sparrowsraven

Sparrowsraven Chieftain

For all those that use ROM (and AND and HAND),

We alll know that this AMAZING mod gives us more techs. Does this effect the techs you research? What do you start with? What do you beeline too?

Basically I want to know what the difference is between the stratagy you use when playing the game unmodded vs when you play ROM.

I never know myself if i should follow the normal go after BW, then CoL, Lib, Astronmy, etc..... OR is all bets are off and i research whatever i want......

Thanks all, :)

2. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

First off, bee-line a religion. You need at least one to get a proper income. After that, I go for Bronze or Iron working, because if you don't get those resources, you army will be very weak, and the AI will roll over you.

3. Kurenin

Kurenin Chieftain

Sometimes I rush for all of the religions and just trade amongst my competitors for the other techs.

This has lead to some insanely high science / gold output!

There's a multitude of different ways to play though, just try and get (and spread) a religion early so that you can get some much needed early game income.

I've tried going fully militaristic and this has almost always screwed me over in the early game, I end up way too far behind scientifically :<

4. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

I too beeline a religion (Confucianism due to the +1 Gold per city) and hit Bronze Working first (Early Axemen are a must while using the Play as Minors option). I play with Early Buildings, so slow early science is not a problem (compared with AI, not year marker).

5. Ben-09

Ben-09 Chieftain

Can't we just use cottages for income? Sorry, but I'm a noob at this mod.

6. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

Cottages, and their upgrades, have -1 Commerce with Barter, making them not immediately useful; running Slavery, the early alternative to Barter, will allow you to use Cottages for their Commerce efficiently, though the Slavery civic has a Science and Culture penalty. There are many little things like this in RoM, which add an extra challenge; I hope you enjoy the learning process, it can be rewarding and fun if you stick with it.

7. Antmanbrooks

Antmanbrooks Prince

I tend to try and get a Religion as it certainly helps with gold. I think a lot of my early tech thinking is geography specific though, if I'm a coastal Empire I head down a more Naval path, especially if I'm isolated from the other Civs. If I'm in a thick Jungle then Naturopathy is a must and if I'm on a lot of rivers then finding Stone and building the Pyramids is going to give me bigger cities early on and Machinery is going to open up Water Wheels so that's important. For me it's all about the resources and geography which is why I love RoM:AND.