Roman and Carthaginian Civilization Changes

OpenWorldAddict

Chieftain
I would like to see two mods that change how Carthage and Rome works to be more historically accurate. This would be great for multiplayer rome vs Carthage games on maps of the Mediterranean.

Carthage is a merchant republic and a great sea power.

Carthage gets a free trade route with every lighthouse they build
Carthage can only produce sea units, workers, and fishing boats. Military units must be purchased, not produced.

Carthage, like Venice, can only expand by purchasing city states ouright. However, unlike venice, Carthage gets full control over the city once purchased.

Rome is a military republic.
Rome can't build settlers or workers.
Roman military units can settle military colonies (new cities), and build any tile improvements.
However this great ability to not have units that you have to protect comes at a great cost. Just like the production of a settler brings growth in a normal city to a halt because the settler unit comes out of the population of the city, the same thing happens with Rome when building a military unit. Roman military units are pulled from the population, thus halting growth in the city during production.

Just these changes would make these two civilizations play radically different.

If you the combine this with the mod that restricts research beyond the classical era, and the mod that allows you to produce units and buildings in less time during marathon pace games, all that would make an epic battle of wits as the two juggernauts tries to out do each other.

You may want to check Lees's Rome and/or JFD's Carthage...

He probably only cares about the effects of the civ though, not the civ (And leader) itself.

Carthage can only produce sea units, workers, and fishing boats. Military units must be purchased, not produced.

I had something similar planned for an alternate Carthage (Cannot train land military units, only purchase them at half the cost), but it was either for Hanno or for Mago (Therefore not based on the punic wars). Don't remember which one at the moment.

Yeah, who Civ leader is less important to me, it is the combined effect of the leader, the unique unit, and unique building that is important to me.

You'll face the same challenges with such a civ as I faced with mine, and for many of the same reasons. The AI will simply never understand how to use a unit that is both a settler/worker and a combat unit. There are multiple threads already on the Forum that explore this problem, but this one covers the material in pretty short order. Firaxis-made unique units notwithstanding, the AI never uses such units correctly.

Probably because they've defined it as a unit within the Settler-class of unit (same for their Worker, it's defined as a Worker-class unit) but with a "only defense" promotion along with the added combat strength and combat-class-Melee that Settlers normally do not have.

Top Bottom