Roman Hastati

DragonBird said:
Woh, sorry but I'm one of those people who strive for historical accuracy and thats one of those things it isn't, BUT this is the most original units (its very angry) i've seen in a long time. 5 thumbs up!!!! The waddle is cool

Sorry to say this, but you're wrong.

The Hastati had a bronze helmat, a shortsword and spear and had (3?) feathers in their helm. They also could dress however they liked (if they could afford it), so they didn't all look the same.

In my opinion, I think it is very historically acurate. :) Keep up the good work :goodjob:

DragonBird said:
Woh, sorry but I'm one of those people who strive for historical accuracy and thats one of those things it isn't, BUT this is the most original units (its very angry) i've seen in a long time. 5 thumbs up!!!! The waddle is cool

You are correct in saying that this isn't the historically correct Polybian hastati. Then again all known visual works that are of the Polybian army are at best, extremely general representations. As most (if not all) that is known about early republican Rome is theoretical or circumstantial at best. So there is never going to be a source that will 'historically' portray these roman formations accurately.

What is definitely highly inaccurate about this unit is the slashing animations that I used. Considering that the gladius was mostly a thrusting weapon, not really ment for wide arc slashing.

Hastati didnt always use the Gladius. They only addopted that after plenty of contact with the spanish, they started with Greek style short swords, and a short sword can be used to slash. Especially in the case of this hyperactive individual. We dont know when they started drilling legions to stab in preference to slashing. Rome Total war got a lot of things way out. But on this unit I feel they're spot on.

Anyway do we really want to start one of these discussions again. They can get quite nerdy and heated. No-one can cover all bases in a short post, and replies only pick out something the previous poster didnt think was relevent. See the paragraph above and the first thing you thought in response for example. If it starts it wont end. Civ is a great game but a woefull model for historical re-creation. We can argue history in a historical forum. Can't we just appreciate some great new models? I'll even use all the ahistorical ones.

Guys, don`t mind what Dragon Bird is blabbing about, he is a notorius spammer, and is currently enjoying a "vacation" from these forums.

And WTF do we know about history anyway? Only what other people tell us.

"90% of everything other people tell you is wrong" - Michael Crichton

They could`ve all been dressed up like Spider-man for all we know :crazyeye:

Stormrage said:
Guys, don`t mind what Dragon Bird is blabbing about, he is a notorius spammer, and is currently enjoying a "vacation" from these forums.

Damn so I was feeding a troll? Thanks for the heads up.
Gaias, whats next? And anything I can do to help.

Ps Michael Crichton is wrong...

Stormrage said:

Actualy there are enough findings from the period to let historians establish precisely what equipment, etc was used then and in what manner... that's history at its best... ;)

Stormrage said:
Meh, they are all fakes, and lies. :D
I`m telling you ancient romans were all dressed up like spiderman! :woohoo: :crazyeye:

So, Gaias, whats your next unit? :)

He is right. I know, because I was there.

It doesn't really matter what they looked like as these are conversion of what the people of RTR mod thought they where equipped with.

I will be doing all the Roman units first. I just finished the Principes and will be working on the Triari and Velites units next.

Like I don't have enough variations of units on my plate as is. :rolleyes: Sheesh! :D

Actually I did look at this mod at one point when I was searching for mod/skins for units. Yet for some reason I didn't find a download link to the mod (though I just found it now).

I think I will stick with the units as they are represented by RTR mod as they are the ones that I am used to seeing. IF I ever get these units that I have on my HD done, THEN I can see about serving up some variations to the units that I already completed.

Lord Malbeth said:
Sorry to say this, but you're wrong.

The Hastati had a bronze helmat, a shortsword and spear and had (3?) feathers in their helm. They also could dress however they liked (if they could afford it), so they didn't all look the same.

In my opinion, I think it is very historically acurate. :) Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Well I was looking for the 'classical' Roman (you know the Giant red square sheild, the steel helmet and sword, the strips of steel "sown" together for bodyarmor, the gladius), But in an early time frame, it is accurate.
But as I said before this is a very nicely put together peice of work, Its in my Hall of Fame!!!

Judging from the previews (haven't installed it myself, yet), these Gaian conversions may be the best ever done for Civ3. Hot!

Would be great for civ 4 cause i also love total war to and they both good :D

You're in the wrong forum, buddy. This is Civ3ville. A Wretched hive of Scum and villany. And Stormrage.

LizardmenRule! said:
Hmph, i consider myself neither scum nor a villain

I consider myself suave, intelligent, sophisticated, charming, incredibly attractive and modest :p :lol:

Says the one whoes favorite sport is Bar Fighting with a Ball. :p :lol:

Top Bottom