Roman Triarii

Wonderblunder

Part Time Monster in the Closet
Keinpferd requested a remake of my Triarii unit from my Roman Republic unit pack. I used the spearman model as a base, and worked from there. I replaced his head with a combination of the Longbowman's and Praetorian's heads and used a slightly edited version of the Praetorian shield. From there I reskinned the entire model (except for the spears) and imported it to the game. Though fixing I recurring animation problem with his hands and his shield was a bit frustrating, I actually had a lot of fun working on this.

Also, I think there is a huge difference between the first and this version. :lol:
comparison.jpg

Attachments

• pose.jpg
    pose.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,530
Nice work man, looks fantastic. It is definitely replacing Bakuel's Roman spearman, and that is not a difficult thing to do. :goodjob:

Strange, whenever I apply the gloss textures to the model, I get this:

Civ4ScreenShot0776.JPG

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I still can't figure it out. I've attached the nif file and textures in this post.

Attachments

• Problem.zip
    268.3 KB · Views: 69
You have to blacken out the parts you don't want glossy in the alpha. Open up the gloss for another unit (not one you've made in this case) and see what they did there. You are going to want to do that for the Triarii.

You have to blacken out the parts you don't want glossy in the alpha. Open up the gloss for another unit (not one you've made in this case) and see what they did there. You are going to want to do that for the Triarii.

That's exactly what I did and that's one of the things that stumps me.

To be honest I had these same issues when I was creating an English nobleman footknight, so I'm not sure what is going on. I would try throwing one of our veteran unit-makers a PM I guess. The gloss would really make the Spearman look great though, you should hit up his armor and his helmet.

Strange, whenever I apply the gloss textures to the model, I get this:

View attachment 314278

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I still can't figure it out. I've attached the nif file and textures in this post.
I think you want to create a shadered version, right? Then you'll have to change the following in the details of the units NiTriStrips:

Has Shader --> yes
Shader Name --> TCiv4Skinning
Unknown Integer --> -1

Also I think in the NiTexturingProperty of the body mesh, you'll have to change the "Has Gloss Texture" to yes and give it the Triarri_128_gloss.dds as map. Maybe you should also remove that map from the "Shader Textures", which you could as well change to zero instead of the 4 empty ones. I don't think that they are needed for units, only leaderheads.

Furthermore I would delete anything that is not a child of the Scene Root. That stuff does nothing exept for taking up space.

Hope this helps. :)

I think you want to create a shadered version, right? Then you'll have to change the following in the details of the units NiTriStrips:

Has Shader --> yes
Shader Name --> TCiv4Skinning
Unknown Integer --> -1

Also I think in the NiTexturingProperty of the body mesh, you'll have to change the "Has Gloss Texture" to yes and give it the Triarri_128_gloss.dds as map. Maybe you should also remove that map from the "Shader Textures", which you could as well change to zero instead of the 4 empty ones. I don't think that they are needed for units, only leaderheads.

Furthermore I would delete anything that is not a child of the Scene Root. That stuff does nothing exept for taking up space.

Hope this helps. :)

For some reason, my game freezes after I made those changes. I noticed that on the regular spearman model, the tag is "TCiv4SkinningGloss", so I tried using that, but it still freezes. Strange....

As for the deleting the useless nodes, I'll do that. :)

Also, I've started work on a re-make of my Veilites unit, so hopefully the same complications will not arise with him.

For some reason, my game freezes after I made those changes. I noticed that on the regular spearman model, the tag is "TCiv4SkinningGloss", so I tried using that, but it still freezes. Strange....

As for the deleting the useless nodes, I'll do that. :)

Also, I've started work on a re-make of my Veilites unit, so hopefully the same complications will not arise with him.
TCiv4SkinningGloss is in fact the right tag, otherwise there will be no gloss. That was a little bit inaccurate from my side, sorry. :blush:

Maybe this helps to stop the freezes, do it for all three meshes:

Right-click on the NiTriStrips --> Mesh --> Triangulate

and

Right-click on the NiTriShape (formerly NiTriStrips) --> Mesh --> Make Skin Partition (change the 18 to 4 in the new window before Ok-ing)

Now the unit should work I hope.

TCiv4SkinningGloss is in fact the right tag, otherwise there will be no gloss. That was a little bit inaccurate from my side, sorry. :blush:

Maybe this helps to stop the freezes, do it for all three meshes:

Right-click on the NiTriStrips --> Mesh --> Triangulate

and

Right-click on the NiTriShape (formerly NiTriStrips) --> Mesh --> Make Skin Partition (change the 18 to 4 in the new window before Ok-ing)

Now the unit should work I hope.

It's fine!

I get this message whenever I try to save the nif file.

Spoiler :
"block 74 "Binormals" array size mismatch"
"block 74 "Tangents" array size mismatch"
"block 123 "Binormals" array size mismatch"
"block 123 "Tangents" array size mismatch"
"block 136 "Binormals" array size mismatch"
"block 136 "Tangents" array size mismatch"

Each number represents each models' NiTriShapeData.

At least the game now has the common decency to crash instead of freeze now. :lol:

It's fine!

I get this message whenever I try to save the nif file.

Spoiler :
"block 74 "Binormals" array size mismatch"
"block 74 "Tangents" array size mismatch"
"block 123 "Binormals" array size mismatch"
"block 123 "Tangents" array size mismatch"
"block 136 "Binormals" array size mismatch"
"block 136 "Tangents" array size mismatch"

Each number represents each models' NiTriShapeData.

At least the game now has the common decency to crash instead of freeze now. :lol:
Hm, strange. Do you use NifSkope version other than 1.022? I had some other problems while using a newer, not fully tested version of NifSkope.

Anyhow, I have now tried to make the unit work for me as well and after some trouble I succeeded. Funny thing is that in the end the main problem for the strange gloss was that you wrote Triarri_128_gloss instead of Triarii_128_gloss for the NiTexturingProperty of the body. :lol:

Well, I've attached the finished shadered unit to this post if you are interested in it. :)

Attachments

• Triarii.zip
    124.3 KB · Views: 79
Top Bottom