1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Roman UHV

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by RFC_Viceroy, Sep 22, 2014.

1. RFC_Viceroy

RFC_Viceroy Chieftain

How in the world can you do everything with Rome in time? I play on Viceroy (as my username indicates) and I still couldn't build 5 of each building plus all of the cities in time. Also, I've seen an online guide saying you should rush Carthage, but every time I try to do that Carthage winds up getting their Numidian horse units into the city before I can amphibious assault, and I lose almost all of my Praetorians, if not all of them and the war to.

Is it actually practical/wise to rush Carthage right away, or is there a better way to get the African cities (IIRC you need 2)? Similarly, is it worthwhile to invade Greece or not?

2. NoShameD

NoShameD Chieftain

Let's try to help !
    First, yes, you will need Carthago asap. But their triremes are annoying... so you have to surprise them. Load your starting army in your boats, and wait. As Carthago grows to size 2, declare war and land next to it. With 4 Praetorians, it should be ok. then wait in the city, their army will crush themselvers on their former walls. You may want to keep Iol, but raze Hippo (to much overlap with Carthago). So you may need 1 settler here.
    Send your starting settlers in Spain, Gaul will be given to you : 3 undefended celtic cities will spawn (Lugdunum, Burdigala and Lutetia). So bring back one praetorian to defend Italy, then to conquer Gaul.
    You just need 1 more settler (and to save 1 galley) to settle England (usually Londinium), and tadaa ! The Western roman empire goal is achieved !
    For the buildings goal, build them asap in Roma, Mediolanum, Carthago and your 2 iberian cities. You may need to use slaves so switch to slavery on spawn, and to build some in Gaul. Of course, research Maths, Construction (for UHV buildings and the Great Wall - very usefull for UHV 3 !), then Currency : forums will help you to have money in such a big empire.
    Greece is not that usefull for UHV, mainly because of phalanxes that counter well your praetorians. But once your empire is settled, you can grow an army to conquer it (good land, and stable enough). You also may want to take Egypt, but once again, it is not UHV-necessary.
    Hope this will help you !

3. RFC_Viceroy

RFC_Viceroy Chieftain

Thanks! I forgot to mention, but the triremes were indeed the other problem I was having. How do you avoid losing the galleys when you invade Carthage (since you said I should use them to colonize Spain)?

4. NoShameD

NoShameD Chieftain

You will need some luck ! First, it's better if you don't spawn at war with Carthage, cause you'll be able to watch them grow, and send the triremes away, safe. You can try an amphibious assault, but I prefer unload my galleys south to Carthago, less risk for my praetorians. At this point, keeping one galley alive is very luck dependant... If you manage an amphibious assault, you will be able to hide the galleys in newly captured Carthago. Then wait to get them collapsed (or fully conquered) to bring your army back to Italy.

5. RFC_Viceroy

RFC_Viceroy Chieftain

The big problem is that if you lose a battle, you'll ALWAYS lose that battle. If you have 70% odds and you still lose, you'll continue losing every time you reload.

6. NoShameD

NoShameD Chieftain

For your praetorians, just wait one turn, the RNG will have changed, it can change everything ! For the galleys, if you are unlucky, Roma has enough production to lose some turns and build a new galley (after you crushed Carthago, of course)

7. RFC_Viceroy

RFC_Viceroy Chieftain

OK, thanks.

I've been busy with school of late, will have to try again soon.

8. DrCron

DrCron Chieftain

Hi,

This thread still shows when you search for a solution to the Roman UHV, even if it's not in the strategy section. So I'm leaving a video series I made showing how to achieve it (monarch difficulty) here, in case people who are searching for it come here in the future:

Link to video.