ROME 3.1.0 for ROM 2.9

zulu9812

The Newbie Nightmare
Welcome to Rise of Mankind Expansion (or ROME for short).

The first thing to understand about this mod is that is not a mod. Rise of Mankind is a mod, in that it is a mod of the game of Civilization IV Beyond The Sword. This is an expansion of Rise of Mankind, so you will need to install that first.

The changes from the last release, 3.05, to this release, 3.1.0, can be found under the heading "Changelog". Screenshots can be found at the bottom of this post, or at the download link.

Download Link - download is 82 MB, installs to 363 MB
http://www.filefront.com/15873853/ROME_3.1.0a_Patch.7zPatch 'a' (fixes some leaders having 4 traits)http://www.filefront.com/15873853/ROME_3.1.0a_Patch.7z

Requirements

Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, English version, fully patched to 3.19
Beyond the Sword mod 2.9 (although you should have no trouble running this with 2.8)

I have tried to make ROME compatible with other mod mods out there. You should have no trouble running this alongside A New Dawn.

Installation

Install to your Rise of Mankind root folder. This is usually:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind\

You may have to adjust this depending on which drive you installed Civ4, and whether or not you bought the Complete Edition.

This release uses the WoC modding standard and thus uses Modular Loading Controls. Rather than overwriting your existing modular loading control file, follow these instructions: Navigate to your Rise of Mankind/Assets/Modules folder, open MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml in your favourite xml editor and add the following entry:

<Module>
<Directory>ROME</Directory>
<bLoad>1</bLoad>
</Module>

In order for ROME's unit art styles and custom leaderheads to display correctly, ROME's entry in that xml file MUST be AFTER Custom Art Styles and Custom Leaderheads. The easiest way to do it is to ensure that the end of your xml file looks like this:

Code:
                <Module>
                    <Directory>ROME</Directory>
                    <bLoad>1</bLoad>
                </Module>
            </Modules>
        </ConfigurationInfo>
    </ConfigurationInfos>
</Civ4ModularLoadControls>
Note that this is not optional: you must do this. If you get stuck, contact me and I can supply a custom MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml for you.

A New Dawn compatibility

There is nothing in this mod that is directly incompatible with A New Dawn. You can run the two side by side with no problems whatsoever. The only small wrinkle is that the Formations component of A New Dawn does not support the new unit classes added by ROME (Colonial units, Trench Infantry, Cavalry, Heavy Machine Gun) and so those units will display default Firaxis formations. It's a small graphical difference that you probably won't even notice - and if you don't install the Formations component of A New Dawn, there will be no difference.

Contents

ROME is split into 5 segments: Rules, Unit Art Styles, Colonial Era, WWI and Leaderheads

Rules:

The Rules segment is a small number of basic rule and name changes to correct certain things that were annoying me. Maximum world numbers per city has been increased from 4 to 9. I've done the same for National Wonders. Maximum experience that can be gained from animal and barbarian combat has been increased to 10,000. Maximum experience retained after upgrade has been increased to 10,000. Why make these changes to experience? Well, I always play with raging barbarians, and it seemed a shame that my units spent most of their early time fighting the barbs, but getting no xp for it.

Several classical and middle age units have also been renamed, taking their cue from Medieval II Total War. The Light Swordsman is now simply Swordsman, the Mid Swordsman is Sergeant, the Heavy Swordsman is Foot Knight, the Maceman is Heavy Footman, Mounted Infantry is Mounted Sergeant, Knight is Mailed Knight, Heavy Cavalry is Feudal Knight, Chivlary is Chivalric Knight, French Chivalry is Gendarme, and German Chivalry is Gothic Knight.

Unit Art Styles:

Several civs have been given their own unit art styles which form up most of, if not all, of the unit tech tree up to the early modern age. The new civ art styles are Asian, Celtic, Chinese (Tsin), Japanese (Samurai), Greek (Hellenic), Carthage (Punic), USA and Viking (Norse). I'm particularly proud of the Japanese unit tree, which has unique units with Japanese names to replace most of the vanilla ones. Additionally, the original Japanese UU - the Samurai - has been subsumed into a wider samurai line, all of which are less powerful but more widespread and reflect the totality of samurai culture within Japanese medieval warfare (i.e. the Japanese lack the super strength of one UU, but have a number of more effective units than their gaijin counterparts). I also believe that the Greek and Carthaginian unit art styles are of critical importance, as the old Greco-Roman art style is far too Roman and doesn't reflect Hellenistic culture at all well.

Colonial Era:

One of the goals of this mod is to smooth the unit progression through the tech tree (see the WWI section below). I didn't think it was appropriate for chainmail + helmeted swordsmen and pikemen to be occupying the same time as tri-hat musketmen, so I have added some units to fix that problem. Heavy Pikeman upgrades to Colonial Pikeman, Heavy Swordsman upgrades to Colonial Swordsman. These 2 units are primarily cosmetic upgrades: they are dressed in colonial uniforms. Available with Leadership, they are only mild strength upgrades, so your strategy shouldn't have to change too much. Finally, the Mounted Sergeant and Light Cavalry upgrade to Cavalry Guard: a sword-armed horse rider, again in colonial dress and available with Leadership, that has unit strength comparable to the Chivalric Knight.

WWI:

This is probably the most sigificant game changing aspect of ROME. It greatly expands on the unit progression between the 18th century units characterised by the Industrial age and the 20th century units characterised by the Modern age. Several brand new units have been introduced, including Trench Infantry, Trench Cavalry, Stormtrooper and Heavy Machine Gun. Again, many civs have unique graphics for these units, reflecting the diversity of history.

Leaderheads:

As of 3.06, I've decided to add leaderheads to this mod. Whilst there are other mods for Rise of Mankind that have added new leaderheads, my additions fulfill 3 very specific functions:

Leaderheads 1 replaces existing ROM leaderheads with superior graphics

Leaderheads 2 adds a 2nd leader to civs that previously only had 1. This is important for any Revolutions-based mod (such as ROM): if a revolution causes a civ to change leader, but no 2nd leader is available for that civ, then an unused leader from another civ will be selected at random. This can lead to the Zulus being lead by Frederick, for example. Thus is it vital that each civ has at least 2 leaders available. Civs currently fixed by this module are Babylon, Holy Roman Empire, Japan, Korea, Vikings and Zulus.

Leaderheads 3 is more of a fun enterprise, and features extra leaders for civs that already have at least 2 civs. Don't expect any historical accuracy here: Louis XVI looks like Mel Brooks, and Xerxes is straight out of the movie 300. Like I said, it's a bit of fun. But for those serious types who value historical accuracy, I have set these leaders in a separate module so that they can be easily edited out if desired. But I think the leader graphics are too good to leave out!

Changelog

- initial, closed release of ROME for ROM 2.8

- updated for ROM 2.81
- corrected missing artwork for some Celtic units

- added English, French, German and Russian flavour units for the Cuirassier + Dragoon
- corrected missing art for French Dragoon
- corrected Viking cannon art being a duplicate of Musketman art
- fixed incorrect tech prereq for Grenadier
- fixed incorrect .kfm file for German Dragoon
- cleared installation of empty and unused folders

- added Hellenic unit art style, for Greek Civilization
- simplified installation instructions

- added Colonial Era units
- fixed missing schema file that prevented mod from loading!

- added Carthage unit art style
- fixed Viking Juscarl unit to Huscarl
- added Greek Chariot to Hellenic unit art style
- swapped art for Greek Feudal and Chivalric Knights

- added Leaderheads modules
- replacement graphics for Alexander, Deganawida, Menelik and Mongkut
- new leaders Cetshwayo (zulu), Hitler (germany), Marc Antony & Nero (rome), Louis XVI (france), Xerxes (Persia)
- added Persian unit art style

- shortened file paths that were causing extraction errors on some systems
- deleted white space in unit folder and file names that were causing issues with BULL
- added modern units to Tsin (china) and Samurai (japan) unit art styles
- added Carthage light swordsman and cuirassier art
- swapped some units between Asian and Tsin unit art styles
- fixed bug where Asian Bazooka was appearing in place of Chinese Bazooka
- added 2 leaderheads: Leonidas (greece), Nehru (india)

- added missing txt entries for colonial era units
- increased Cavalry Guard strength from 14 to 16, and cost from 140 to 160
- increase trench Cavalry withdrawal rate from 30 to 45
- added new art for special infantry
- added 2 leaderheads: Meiji (japan), Sejong (korea)

- added 3 leaderheads: Nebuchadnezzar II (Babylon), Beowulf (Vikings), Charles V (HRE)
- added Egyptian (Ptolemaic) unit art style
- fixed bug where Cavalry Guard was displaying the wrong shadow
- Maceman is now Heavy Footman, Heavy Swordsman is now Foot Knight
- removed Cretan Archer and reinstated Peltast for the Greek Empire
- corrected buttons for unit art style Swordsman, Sergeant, Mailed Knight and Feudal Knight
- fixed MLF load-order instructions so that ROME's unit art styles are always used

- updated unit stats to be compatible with Rise of Mankind 2.9
- added Renaissance + Industrial + Colonial units to Ptolemaic unit art style
- updated Celtic Arquebusier art with coffie junkie's modifications
- slightly increased the size of the Celtic Dragoon
- added new art for Persia's UU, the Sipahi
- fixed Cavalry Guard being able to fortify (i.e. it now can't)
- fixed red line appearing in Nebuchadnezzar's portrait
- fixed incorrect KFM being used for Japanese War Elephant
- fixed ROME art not being used for Prodromoi, Peltast, Phalanx and Companion Cavalry
- fixed generic Dragoon not being displayed in some places

Bugs

The Rifleman/Redcoat shows 2 upgrades: Trench Infantry and Infantry. This appears to be unavoidable due to the WOC loading system, which cause modules to add to their parallel entries in the main mod, instead of the Firaxis system, which replaces entries in the main mod. The same bug occurs with the upgrade path between the Dragoon and Cavalry/Armored Car units.

Credits

It must be stressed that almost none of the graphics work in this mod is my own. I made some of the buttons, but everything else is the work of others. My contribution has been to bring these diverse resources together under the unique banner offered by Rise of Mankind. With that thought in mind, some credit is due to the following individuals:

zappara - creator of Rise of Mankind, without whom none of this would be possible
Dancing Hoskuld - for his encouragement, and support of previous versions of ROME in my absence
seZereth - creator of an excellent WWI unit pack, used in this mod and which was the inspiration for the WWI segment
Bakuel - his fine units form the backbone of the Unit Art Styles segment
Wolfshanze - from who's mod I purloined the celtic flag
coffie junkie - excellent comprehensive range of WW2 units
cfkane - for his marvellous leader graphics

More unit creators, work used in this mod:

The Capo, danrell, Chamaedrys, Sakhr, bernie14, zenspiderz, zerver

If I've missed anyone out, it's unintentional and I apologise unreservedly. If you see your work here and wish to be credited - just let me know.

Contact

You can contact me at the same place that you downloaded this from, at Civfanatics.

Previews

Unit Art Styles:

Leaderheads:

Colonial Units:

WWI Units:

I guess you meant "world wonders", seems a little bit confusing this way :crazyeye: ...

BTW: Does the same thing apply to National Wonders?

LOL, yes I did mean world wonders ;)

I decided not to implement a similar system for national wonders, purely because the status quo suits my style of play. But I might change it for the next version - thanks for the feedback.

Excellent work mate! :goodjob:

A really good xmas present, I confess to be a real fanatic of your mod :scan:

MERRY XMAS :)

Bad news! :cry:

The following message appears while loading Rise of Mankind:

"Failed Loading XML file
modules/ROME/MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml." :eek:

Bad news! :cry:

The following message appears while loading Rise of Mankind:

"Failed Loading XML file
modules/ROME/MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml." :eek:

Mmm... looks like it's missing a schema file in that folder. I'm actually about to upload a new version, but in the meantime you can just copy the needed file from the main modules folder to the ROME folder and it should load fine. The file that you need is CIV4ModularLoadingControlsSchema.xml

OK, I've updated ROME to 3.05. Details are in the first post, but here's a preview of the new Hellenic Unit art (credit to Bakuel for the units):

If it weren't too difficult to do, would you add Bakuel's graphic packs for Korea? This is all INCREDIBLE work indeed, but my beating, patriotic heart compels me to ask if you'd consider adding them any time in the future, no matter how long it'd take.

All the power to you then, adding these really does give that finishing touch to the whole thing

Hi, I have not had any problems with ROME and AND but I am not using your rules. I will need to stop using all the art style stuff also since my machine just cant' cope with it. Boy am I glad it is WoCified :) it makes it easier to drop stuff.

i love this mod soooo much :D, shame this thread hasn't got more posts considering its had 1k views

Yeah, I don't get many replies. It also means that I don't get much feedback so, as Dancing Hoskuld implies, I just have to assume that I'm getting it right ;)

See the quote by Xienwolf in my sig :D.

Two questions:
1. Is there a possibility to install only some parts of your modmod?
2. Should I install it before or after I install New Dawn?

Two questions:
1. Is there a possibility to install only some parts of your modmod?
2. Should I install it before or after I install New Dawn?

Hi szemek77:

1. I have tried to make this expansion as modular as possible. You should be able to delete chunks out of the mod, without affecting other parts. For example, all of the unit art styles are deletable. So if you do not wish to use the Carthage unit art style, just delete ROME\Unit Art Styles\Carthage.

The WWI section is a little tricker, as it's designed to be able to work hand-in-hand with the new unit art styles. But I have sub-divided each civilization's flavour units file by file. Basically, if you delete a unit art style, make sure that you also delete the corresponding civ's files in the WWI folder.

2. This should make no difference to A New Dawn. I have not modified any core files nor made any SDK or python changes. No one has reported any compatibility problems, and I don't expect any. You should be able run this side-by-side with A New Dawn.

For your next update, you may want to remove white space in your units of WW! package because they show up as pink buttons in the city screen.

White space? In the XML? Can you provide a screenshot of these pink buttons? I don't think that it's white space in the XML, but perhaps I've made some buttons incorrectly.

Top Bottom