1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rome: Hardest UHV??

Discussion in 'Gameplay Guides' started by Gritzeldrei, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Gritzeldrei

Gritzeldrei Chieftain

It is really odd to see that there is no UHV guide for Rome in 1.16. It's on of the most popular and important civilization in our history yet it seems like that it is nothing in DOC.

Does anyone have a guide in completing the Roman UHV?

LukeAtmey likes this.
  2. rmontaruli

rmontaruli Prince

Rome does not require a strategic guide.
    You must go to build your empire and hope for china or so do not research any late techs before you.
    There is no strategy, just fun.

RustyBrick and LukeAtmey like this.
  3. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Rome has the hardest UHV's in RFC and RFC DoC.
    I played over 20 games with Rome and won at the last moment in Dawn of Civilization.
    The way I won is not really strategic but I'm just going to say how I did it, maybe it helps.
    I got VERY VERY VERY lucky because Greece had a city where Pompeii should be and when it revolted and joined my empire the Greeks declared war on me and I received 4 more legions. That gave me the possibility to just build barracks, forums etc... in all my cities.
    While my cities where building I took some cities from the Celts in France and defended my borders heroically!
    I lost 2 Legions until 350 - 400 BC. Then I started building Ballista's so I could make some collateral damage to the elephants in Carthage.
    I debarked 4 Legions and 2 Ballistas with another Ballista waiting in Pompeii. I took all of North Africa by 300 BC.
    Then I don't remember exactly what happened but I do know that Carthage was extremely productive and built a lot of barrakcs, forums, colosseums etc...
    The Greeks had some huge armies around the Middle East but my ballistas made their job as collateral damage.
    I took Egypt but only AND ONLY 2 cities like the UHV required. I didn't declare war on Egypt. I took the cities from the Greeks and the Egyptians where very friendly with me.
    I gave away the 3rd city I got from the Greeks in Egypt because I was losing too much money per turn and research.
    I forgot to mention that you should try to go for currency first and then the Engineering and then the other techs.
    If I remember correctly Greece was the last I conquered and Asia Minor was already very weak so it was easy.
    The Byzantines spawned and I gave them all my cities in Asia Minor, Greece, and Egypt. I still needed ONE more Colosseum!!!!
    In 1 turn I would lose if I didn't finish the Colosseum in Carthage which would take 2 more turns! I was very frustrated and I didn't have slvary or citizenship running.
    Luckily a Great Engineer spawned in Carthage because I had like 3 wonders in Carthage and one of them gave me Great Engineer points.
    I used the great Engineer to finish the Colosseum and then I won!
    Game Settings:
    -Regent difficulty
    -Normal speed

So if you read this you learned that luck had a LOT to do with me winning.

LukeAtmey and Gritzeldrei like this.
  4. LukeAtmey

LukeAtmey Chieftain

Do you guys reckon it's a good idea to take out Greece first to prevent their conqueror events? Or do you think they just make conquering the UHV areas easier as they might collapse civs like Egypt etc.? Also, at what point do you think one should settle Hispania and with which cities?

5. rmontaruli

rmontaruli Prince

When i play with Romans, i first eliminate Carthaginians, then get those gaul cities in France, and then move to the east to conquest the rest of the world. Spain is the last thing i do, ulness Phoenicians succeded in settling in Spain, in that case i take that city before going to the east.
    If Greece gets its conqueror events, it will collapse later, making easier my conquest, so let it expand.

The harder goal of roman UHV is that one related to techs, which is totally luck-dependent, so don't mind it.
    Concentrate in building your empire, and one game every ten, you'll win a UHV.

6. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

I usually let Greece get their conquerors, that will just make it easier for you. The only problem is that they usually have a pretty big stack in Egypt so build a lot of Ballistas to make collateral damage.