Rome Needs Your Assistance!

They are truly are a pain in the rump... of the Roman Empire. When they start invading they've got these total kick-arse axe-wielding maniacs.

Leave Sicily for the moment. Concentrate on Empire-building in the East and Navy building in the Adriatic. I reckon you could consider a navy of 20-30 galleys to launch a massive battle in the Central Med, though keep a hefty force of Legionaries near Naples, as I reckon he's got his eyes on that prize, though having said that, if Carthage is human, he'll probably go straight for Rome and raze it. I know that's what I'd do if I had a big enough navy! Rapid Reaction Force in Italy of Legions and Cavalry and take out the Greeks to give you more cities.

Hmmm Macedon to the east Carthage to the west. I personally think you should go for Carthage first because Macedon is mostly ocupied with persia for now. If you can bring Carthage to its knees they wont bug you nearly as much. That allows you to take on Macedon. Carthage will be hard but if you can win it swiftly and decisivly you'll be good for Macedon.

Whoa whoa. 30 galleys? I think we're overestimating here. When I mean "large fleet" I mean about 5 or 6 boats. I have about 4 in my docks right now, with about 2-3 being built per turn (on average). I am building up some in the Adriatic, and others in the north of the sea between modern day Genoa and Corsica. I have a few in the Ionian sea (in the South) that I'm building, but they are going to be more for ship-to-ship warfare, not invasions. He won't go for Rome, that's not his style. I'm actually anticipating an invasion across Spain, Gaul, and Northern Italy--which is what I'm hoping for too--because he, like me, like to keep things historic. Otherwise, he'll go for the obvious choice: Southern Italy. If he wanted to sack Rome, he would have tried to already. I think he's afraid of the several legions I have posed around between Rome and the south.

Sorry Benderino,

I get a little carried away when we start talking Naval Strategy. Especially when it concerns those Elephant-carrying Arks the Carthaginians are building.

On a slightly different note, I just started a new game of this scenario and only just discovered that these Galleys have a transport of 4. Doh! Seems I may have to have words with Neptune about this one.

I held back on loading any into Caesar's army until I had Mark II, and now I'm going to get 30 of the wee devils and go put the Celts to the sword. Shouldn't they be called the Gauls for the purposes of this scenario anyway. I might mod this and I hate the way they keep building spearmen in my Empire. The next town that does it will be dragged to the colliseum by their tongues and their testicles roasted over a fire stoked with their own limbs!

How about some screenies? :)

Sorry, I'd love to, but I don't have a scanner. Not to mention the fact that we've been playing the game at my friend's house, so I really can't at the moment. :)

Bah. So hard to visualize when you don't have the mini-map in front. :p

Ok. Well I would have to say that maybe a defensive war would be better for you if you can go and get land and cities elsewhere. With added Unit support, production centers and commerce this may give you the edge for later. The way you are now it seems as if you're rather stuck and will be fighting a dead end war. Therefore my perscription is:

Send a small Legionary force over the Alps to Spain. As long as they can harry the enemy for awhile and keep their minds off any invasion plans, they're doing well. Meanwhile your main attack force should be concentrated to the east. Adriatic seems a good target or just sent by land. Or be a arse and do both. :p They definitly are the easier enemy and the best thing is that Carthage can't do anything about it, while your Legionaries can protect your fair-weather friends the Gauls.

I was just playing this scenario as Rome. I have found that as Rome you build many legions (already discussed though)

So I will jump right into my point: get your stack of extra legions (as long as they are legion IIs or IIIs) in Italy and move them by road into the heart of Macedonia! Their units are 3.3.1 and yours will be 5.4.1 or 6.5.1, no? Assuming you are playing the multiplayer version, (accelerated production), you should have anywhere from 10-30 legions in Italy unable to fight across seas for a lack of boats. group your armies and go into the green!

I think if you take enough cities you could A) sue for peace (though your friends might not like that) or B) sign more permanent naval treaty in exchange for not coninuing your assualt. Macedon really cannot beat you by land if its against persian and egpyt already.

Good luck!

(any criticism of my suggestion is good so we can better fix the issue)

what is everybodys' government path for this scenario?

fwiw i normally coerse everybody against Carthage except the celts, take the celts out, take the cities in spain, occupy every tile on sicily to prevent landings and then steamroller the rest with the mighty armies, getting domiantion somewhere around the 100 turn mark doing it for the third time now moving up levels

This is the map...I hope it isn't too small.
Now, I have not colonized in the Magyar areas like this player did. I also do not have those cities along the Northeast coast of Spain (there is, however, one Celtic city near modern-day Marseilles, but that's it). I have forced upon the Macedonians the destruction of their northwestermost city. The Scythians in my game have not spread so far west. Carthage, of course, still has Corsica, Sardinia, and now all of Sicily. The Persians have managed to capture one major city from the Macedonians on the mainland of Anatolia.

Attachments

• civconquests_103103_013.jpg
    civconquests_103103_013.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 254
This picture accurately shows the location of the Celtic city, and the (now) Persian city taken from the Macedonians.

Attachments

8.8 KB · Views: 261
You guys are right, maybe I am just being too inhibited by the lack of luck I've had with these legions attacking cities. You see, the Macedonians--though their units are only 3-3--have a lot of hoplites, and on top of that, they are well fortified within their magnificent cities. I suppose I could flood them with troops until they realize that they will have to come out and attack me.

I do also like the idea of just sending a small force into Spain to hold off a Carthaginian invasion and get the opportunity for revenge on their own turf. :D

From left to right:

1. The invasion of Spain to dual Carthage.
2. The land invasion of Greece.
3. My proposed plan of settling along the north shores of the Black Sea and creating boats so I could make a landing around Byzantium...thus cutting off needed resources between the Macedonian empire so that it will have a harder time fighting Persia.

I also am building many boats to crush their fleets. I suppose if my boats get lucky enough, then I may plan for the invasion of Sardinia as well!

Attachments

8.9 KB · Views: 249
I have played this scenario 3 times. As Rome at monarch and emperoe, and Greece at monarch. IMHO this is the best scenario with the game.

Advice as Rome:

Forget the navy -- hole up in port and ship legions to Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinia. With normal luck, Scicily

I have played this scenario 3 times. As Rome at monarch and emperoe, and Greece at monarch. IMHO this is the best scenario with the game.

Advice as Rome:

Forget the navy -- hole up in port and ship legions to Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinia. With normal luck, Sicily should fall buy turn 3. Leave one ship holed up for transporting legions from the mainland and take the others north for the assult on Corsica. After Corsica falls, attack Sardinia.

Use your army to march to Spain and in time, take Carthage out of Spain. Cross to Tangier and march east to Carthage and beyond. The first game I invaded and took Carthage from Sicily and had the worlds largest self-supporting prison camp until relief came from the west across Africa.

March to Egypt -- especially if they have some useful wonders and liberate them from the Persians.

Take out Greece from the north and by ~200 AD victory (20% land and 50% population) should be yours.

Jeez froglegs you just joined like an hour ago and you already have 22 posts. jeez.

Anyway get this. I just finish Monethism and I get a Scientific Leader. Problem is I have only Education left to research and no Great Wonders. Figures hes waisted.

Presently im ammasing all my forces to do a fullot invasion of Macedon. Ill set up Constantinople in its proper postion and make it my second capital. Oooo this will be great. I decided im not bothering wiht Carthage but instead I will take down Persia Once Greece is gone.

Top Bottom