Rome Needs Your Assistance!

Benderino

Loyal American Democrat
Alright, here's the situation. I'm playing hotseat against two of my friends in the Rise of Rome scenario. One friend is Carthage, the other is Macedon. I'm successfully allied with the Persians, the Egyptians (worthless), the Goths, and the Scythians, and am on good terms with the Celts.

Now for the bad:

Carthage recently discovered war elephants, and finally captured the entire island of Sicily (with the help of Macedon). Their navies were stronger, since they had more movement points, but I just completed the Great Lighthouse. My legions are strong and numerous, but at this point, it seems that the attacker is always losing (on my border with Macedon) and in the slight fighting in Northern Spain vs Carthage.

But, not to worry, I have plans...

Macedonia is very busy holding off the Persian hordes, and they've already lost one city, but since the hoplites are terrible on the offensive, he is having a difficult time retaking it. I have all my allies against Macedon, but not really any of them against Carthage (who is at war with the Celts too). I plan to make a settlement or two along the Northern shores of the Black Sea, so that I may build boats, and transport soldiers into Anatolia to offer some light assisstance to my Persian friends. That should keep MAcedon busy indefinetly.

However, Carthage is mighty. They both have enormous navies (which was my fault, I should have built more) but I am building mine up fast. I figure, I need to control the seas, just as they do. I'm assembling a fleet in each of my ports/docks that they are oblivious to. I have legions pressuring their one city on Corsica, so I'm assuming that's where he'll reinforce next. I plan to go for the middle: Sardinia, with an enormous invasion of legions. It will rely on killing his boats first.

A third tactic is to ally with the Celts against the Carthaginians and fight in pitch battle along the plains of Spain. That is where I feel I have the advantage with my troops. I have plenty of legions at my disposal, I need more ships.

The fall of Sicily has been a big loss to me and my people. It leaves me vulnerable for a Southern invasion. I must stay on the offensive, for the best defense is a good offense. If I keep up the pressure, I should be able to drain his resources until I can retake Sicily in the future.

I know not your exact situation, but in our times of trouble, we the Romans sent out our mighty armies: not just our legions, but our true armies, led by Caesar himself.

If Caesar is still alive or if you've gotten any other armies... try dropping them on Sicily. If you can afford the forces, attack several targets at once-both cities on Sardinia, or both Corsica and Sardinia, or whatever. I drove Carthage out of Spain early, but if you're already on the defensive and against a human player, that may not be an option. Any chance at all that you can get Macedon to switch sides?

Originally posted by Lord Apolon
I know not your exact situation, but in our times of trouble, we the Romans sent out our mighty armies: not just our legions, but our true armies, led by Caesar himself.

If Caesar is still alive or if you've gotten any other armies... try dropping them on Sicily. If you can afford the forces, attack several targets at once-both cities on Sardinia, or both Corsica and Sardinia, or whatever. I drove Carthage out of Spain early, but if you're already on the defensive and against a human player, that may not be an option. Any chance at all that you can get Macedon to switch sides?

Ah, good suggestions. The things is, Caesar (the Army) has dies in the battle of West Sicily (outside that one city that Carthage has). He led an assualt and won, but there were too many units defending the city. Then, when I was ready to strike the next turn, he had just landed several war elephants, and trampled my entire army with me doing little damage in defense. From there, he rampaged across the island. That army was my main force on Sicily. Luckily, I've killed his Hannibal army, so we are even.

No, Macedonia will not switch, for that would be too unfair and I don't think our friends would allow it. However, I have made a recent treaty with him. He is to leave my waters and I his, for a set number of turns--3 for now, but I hope to extend it--so that his ships may leave the seas between Italy and Sardinia free and he doesn't need to worry about an invasion of his mainland (little does he know, that isn't possible, however, my bluff is strong ;)).

He also said that if I were to defeat him, he could become a tributary state under me and fight FOR me (for instance, if I take all but 2 or 3 cities). But his armies do not threaten me, for the have little offense capabilities, and his firthing so many others. Carthage is my main enemy now.

Hmm im presently playing this scenario to. I have all 3 islands in the Medditeranian to myself with Ceasar Located on Sicily with 3 Legion 1's. I just got another Leader and plan to pack him with 3 Legion 3's and bring along alot more separate units. I also have trouble with War Elephants as I captured Carthago and was endlessly assaulted and couldnt hold on any longer. I did manage to stall him so when his War Elephants got close i counterattacked and killed there weak defense. That is a pretty decent strategy for them cause they just blow away Legion 1 and 2's on the attack.

If you havnt already get herioc epic (assuming Ceasar one at least one battle) and try to fish for leaders to help out against Carthage. You might want to disable his navy so you can succesfully transport any armies or Legions across without the chance you'll lose em. Id stack like 10 ships to this duty of guarding your transports.

Yes, I do need to take out the enemy navy first. I have started Heroic Epic and it should be done within 2-3 more turns, I think (Rome's building that).

My friend,

us Romans must stick together in times of trouble.

The island of Sicily is crucial to the Roman sphere. You must liberate your people... and theirs too! I don't know the particulars of how you will invade, but such a small island can easily be defended in perpetuity with just ten garrisons, strategically placed (nudge, nudge, wink, wink - same for Corsica and Sardinia too.) Their watchful eye will mean Carthaginian galleys will never be able to approach your shores again.

Ya Sicily is crucial just line units along the coast like Balastulin said. Silicy is also a settler factory if you do it right. It has like 5 grain.

Right, but I must reacquire it first. I feel I will need one of the other two island first before an invasion, or else his navies are too strong around Southern Italy. I outnumber his in the north though. Should I increase the pressure in Spain and put myself onto better terms with the Celts? That way, it will keep my friend's mind off Sicily and the other islands and onto Spain for the moment (heh heh).

Hmmm,

I normally give the Celts a belting from the outset. Can't have their pagan ways polluting my, erm, pagan ways. If you're still mates, make an alliance versus Carthage? That should give him something to think about: sow the seeds of discontent on the Western flank to keep him occupied. Consider lending the Celts some dosh? It's a shame you can't sponsor some barbarian insurgency. Now there's an idea for Civ IV...

Aye, that is a good idea. I didn't want to make war against another belligerent if I didn't have to. Instead, I'm using them as more of a buffer. However, I can think about signing some form of a right of passage plus alliance vs. Carthage, then I could move my legionaires freely through their territory to get into Spain. I also think I'll start colonizing parts of Northeastern Spain. The Celts are horribly weak though. They won't do much for me anyway, but perhaps I am mistaken...

Carthage Totally destroyed the Celts in my game. They have like 1 city left in England.

Presently I have Ceasar with 3 Legionarie 1's, Trajan with 3 Legionaire 3's and about 40 other Seperate Legionaires about to go on a Crusade to Spain. I have yet to really move off Rome itself and the three Islands altough Carthage just kicked my butt of Corsica I believe. Im buidling towards Macedon to put pressure on there Northern Front and help Persia out. Ill take Carthage on with the rest of my forces in Macedon soon and try to burn every Carthage city to the ground and recolonize it with my own. I want no trace of there Pathetic Civilization. It will also be easier cause i killed Hannibal so presently they have no army.

You might try to use the Celts to keep Carthage occupied and then try to take out as much of Macedon as possible. If you do enough damage, you may be able to get them to sign a peace treaty with you. It already sounds like Macedon is getting pressured from two fronts. Three might collapse them.

If you take the western edge of Macedon, that will give you an entire coast the Carthaginians can't touch where you can build a navy.

Ah, this I thought of earlier, tankrush. However, I soon realized that my friend developed an enormous navy to defend his coast. It was a good plan, but it's too difficult to try now.

Yes, I feel if I do apply more pressure on Macedon, it will crumble, and perhaps I should do this before he develops those ancient cavalry, which will allow him to really fight against me.

However, now that Carthage has Sicily, I must pressure that empire in som way, or I'll soon have war elephants knocking at my doors in Naples!

Hail Benderino!

You don't want the Macedons capitulating to the Persians for sure. However, remember, if you don't take Sicily and soon, those Carthaginian, Elephant-s#$gging b^&*ards will completely fortify Sicily for eternity in the manner I hinted at (and Naval Power made quite explicit.)

Maybe forget Spain and instead concentrate on Macedonia. Strengthen your Western flank with barricades and fortresses and multi Garrisonici and then spread East. I like the idea of building yourself a nice big fleet in the Adriatic then sauntering out with twenty stacked Galleons. Legionaries on the Peninsula can easily be ferried across the Adriatic safely in one turn and straight into battle if there are ports on both sides, now that you have the Lighthouse.

Hmmm, yes, I am quickly coming to this realization. I can't keep balancing this war effort; divide and conquer I must!

I have to get him to capitulate and save him from the Persians as well. I want his defeat to be by my terms, not theirs.

I am not concerned about my friend blocking off the whole island of Sicily from me (in the way you mentioned) because 1) he isn't clever enough to do that and 2) if he has thought about that, he knows that that wouldn't be very fun or realistic and that he wouldn't want me to do it if the roles were reversed.

I still think that the best way to hold off Carthage is not to simply "dig in" and wait for him, because then the fight would be on my soil. I think if I were more aggressive and managed to capture and island or sack a city in Spain, then he would refocus his armies to that point, as compared to my native land "Dell'Italia!"

Well, you can always launch a land invasion of Macedon. We Romans have done this in the past when they amassed a navy of great sive. Also, you can bypass Sicily, and go strait back toward Cartho, and focus his war effort their. This would be easy, as he is preparing for you to fight him in Sicily. You can then take Sicily while he sends his troops toward Cartho, and away from Sicily. If you believe you will lose Cartho, raze it. This may not be very nice, but you are locked into a war with the guy, and a war you may lose. You great hope may be a scortched earth policy.

Now, back to Greece. If you go to war with them again (by land!!!) they may become one of your greatests assets. They have in the past, when I ruled our great nation. You can get leaders, and then Armies from there, and fill those armies with our mitiest, elite Legionary IIIs. Send these armies to Charthage, or possible use them against Greece, and in a short time, you should be able to conquere the world!

Originally posted by Benderino
I am not concerned about my friend blocking off the whole island of Sicily from me (in the way you mentioned) because 1) he isn't clever enough to do that and 2) if he has thought about that, he knows that that wouldn't be very fun or realistic and that he wouldn't want me to do it if the roles were reversed.

I agree. I was simply putting this point for discussion. I recently used this tactic against the Carthaginians and felt morally dirty for doing so hence shifted them all back to their cities. With enough legionaires, they can defend purely by repulsing them whenever they have the audacity to encroach upon what is obviously sovereign territory.

Raze Carthage! I think your reputation amongst the Goths and Scythians might actually increase if you did this.

P.S. Damn those axe wielding Goths!

Originally posted by Gogf
Well, you can always launch a land invasion of Macedon. We Romans have done this in the past when they amassed a navy of great sive. Also, you can bypass Sicily, and go strait back toward Cartho, and focus his war effort their. This would be easy, as he is preparing for you to fight him in Sicily. You can then take Sicily while he sends his troops toward Cartho, and away from Sicily. If you believe you will lose Cartho, raze it. This may not be very nice, but you are locked into a war with the guy, and a war you may lose. You great hope may be a scortched earth policy.

Now, back to Greece. If you go to war with them again (by land!!!) they may become one of your greatests assets. They have in the past, when I ruled our great nation. You can get leaders, and then Armies from there, and fill those armies with our mitiest, elite Legionary IIIs. Send these armies to Charthage, or possible use them against Greece, and in a short time, you should be able to conquere the world!

Ooooh, I like. Yes, I am almost of the ability to build Legionary IIIs, but I'm getting construction first and engineering (I need bridges!). I like the idea of bypassing Sicily altogether, just like Rome did in real life while Hannibal was rampaging through the peninsula. That is daring enough to work, but his navies stand between me and his shores of Tripoli!

Originally posted by Balastulin

I agree. I was simply putting this point for discussion. I recently used this tactic against the Carthaginians and felt morally dirty for doing so hence shifted them all back to their cities. With enough legionaires, they can defend purely by repulsing them whenever they have the audacity to encroach upon what is obviously sovereign territory.

Raze Carthage! I think your reputation amongst the Goths and Scythians might actually increase if you did this.

P.S. Damn those axe wielding Goths!

:hmm:

So are you implying that the Goths are a valuable resource in my fight, to be employed against the evil forces of Carthage and Macedon?

Top Bottom