1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rome Total War

Discussion in 'Total War' started by Dell19, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Apparently its out in America tomorrow so I expect to see some reviews tomorrow. :p

2. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

Brimming with excitement!:clap:

3. Longasc

Longasc Deity

They made camera controls worse and according to the demo the pace of the 3d tactic battles is too frantic, too fast.

But the campaign map is quite an improvement over Medieval, I am looking forward to this game, too.

4. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

I thought the camera and battle pace was just fine. Battles by their very nature are frantic, and it's not like you're commanind each and every little 3-d figure individually.:hmm:

5. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I was happy with the speed of the battles in the demo.

6. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

My computer doesn't have the requirements. :cry:

7. Longasc

Longasc Deity

I played Shogun and Medieval: Total War before for years.

This might have looked like another RTS to you, but this was once a really tactical 3D battle simulator.

I suggest you visit www.totalwar.org if you want to be enlightened about the intricacies of the former games and the problems that came to light with this demo.

You could add some new players voices to the debate, you will get interesting answers and insights for sure.

8. LLXerxes

LLXerxes Space Travel is Boring

This is so awesome.
    Although It is coming in tomorrow, and I'll try to get it tomorrow, I'm not gonna get it tl, what, next week? :(

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

I preordered it too :)

10. LLXerxes

LLXerxes Space Travel is Boring

It's freakin here in the US today! :D :D
    Yet, it doesn't hit stores til, like, Monday :(

11. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Would one of you Vets give a brief description of this game? :scan:

12. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

13. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Thanks Dell19, but what is special about it to you? :scan:

14. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Its the successor to the last two Total War games and it looks like this time they may have improved the strategic side of the game including the previously weak diplomacy so that the result will hopefully be a very good game.

15. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Do you need to have the first two to play the Total War? :scan:

16. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

No since the first two are separate games although both previous total war games also had an expansion pack that was released later and needed the game from the series to be installed that it was expanding.

17. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

:thanx: pal. I think I'll give it a try, looks very interesting :cool: .

18. Longasc

Longasc Deity

if you want to talk with real Total War nerds:

www.totalwar.org <-> www.totalwar.com

The left ones are the hardcore players, finding always something to complain about. But they know what they are talking about

The right side is if you need general information. It is the official site and of course not half as harsh in making negative judgements.

If you want, it is similar to

www.civfanatics.com <-> www.civ3.com

19. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

Dammit, why did I preorder it?:sad:

*Waiting for it to come...Hurry up amazon!*

20. general_kill

general_kill Deity

I have played this game for 2 days now and haven't run into any bugs or crashes. My mom has a brand new dell computer that can run the game smooth and effortlessly even on high graphic details and sounds.

This game incorporate many features ofcivilization 3 into its turn based part. Basically there are ALOT of provinces, i didnt bother counting all of them in the map that came with the game. In each province contains a "capital city". Who ever controls the capital city control the province. You can build buildings and units at the same time too.

The military part of the game involves armies and generals. You will almost never send out a lone unit anywhere (including your own provinces) without other units and a general. the dimplomat unit in the game can just come in and "convert" your low moraled troops. You need to stack units and a general together. The more units you have the better. The general is there to give your army bonuses and to help with morale. Without the general, less trained units will attempt to flee the battle field the second it starts taking casualties. However with an experienced general, i had a unit of only 13 out of its original 65 soldiers still eager to fight.

I have yet to conquer the political side of rome total war. For most of my campaign, it has just been about fighting and more fighting. Allies are almost non relevant if you play the julius family even on the hardest settings.

I think that rome total can definitely be a replacement for some civ 3 veterans. I know i wont touch civ 3 again for another 2 months (at least). Rome total war seem more realistic than civ 3. And one of the only complaint that i have is i won't be able to build modern armors in the game :(