Rome

I think that Rome UA should remain based on infrastructure. As Funak said, there are too many warmongers and not that much production-based civs.

The existing bonus can stay in addition to these changes, though perhaps we should drop it to 15%.

Imperium Populi Romani: When Rome conquers a City, the City immediately claims additional territory. Buildings are not destroyed when Rome conquers a City, and all Cities receive a +15% Production bonus when constructing Buildings already present in your Capital.

G

What would happen if you take a capital? Would you steal the palace, which would then be built in another city for you to also steal it from? I feel like that could be abused...though the capital IS always much harder to take thanks to the defense boost so maybe that would balance it out.

Also, what would that do to the code? Doesn't the palace mark your capital? I fell like having a bunch of them could potentially confuse the game quite badly.

What would happen if you take a capital? Would you steal the palace, which would then be built in another city for you to also steal it from? I feel like that could be abused...though the capital IS always much harder to take thanks to the defense boost so maybe that would balance it out.

Also, what would that do to the code? Doesn't the palace mark your capital? I fell like having a bunch of them could potentially confuse the game quite badly.

National Wonders cannot be captured like that by virtue of the DLL, so they wouldn't be considered. Only non-NW.

G

The existing bonus can stay in addition to these changes, though perhaps we should drop it to 15%.

Now I feel like a nagger, but those two completely different UAs are in direct conflict with eachother :D One makes it easier to build buildings, and the other one removes the need to build buildings at all :D

Not really. Additional cities you settle will still like the bonus, and it will also help to develop conquered cities going forward. Basically it just sounds like a really fun and powerful wide-focused ability.

So wait I am confused. How does the city lose buildings when you take it over? I always thought it was the AI's way of saying F*ck You! and selling off some of the buildings so the city wouldn't be as big of a grab as it is. You're saying that when you take a city the game determines if buildings are destroyed and then picks out which ones are? How is that determined?

So wait I am confused. How does the city lose buildings when you take it over? I always thought it was the AI's way of saying F*ck You! and selling off some of the buildings so the city wouldn't be as big of a grab as it is. You're saying that when you take a city the game determines if buildings are destroyed and then picks out which ones are? How is that determined?

Well, first all defensive buildings, all culture buildings and all military buildings are autorazed, then the rest have a 50/50 chance to be razed I think. Might be more complicated than that however.

Yep. There's a % chance built into the XML of all buildings that the DLL rolls against to see whether or not a building is razed.

If I don't hear a massive balk against this UA, I think we should try this UA change. Could be fun!

G

You know what would make it even better? A forum :D

Honestly, I'm still against the warmonger focus, I know Rome is famous for warring and conquering, but they are even more famous for building an empire that managed to last for almost 2000 years. That takes some serious infrastructure, empire-management and control, not just conquering. And considering how many warmonger civs there are already Rome have a chance to be different.

What if those culture buildings are holding great works of art, music, or writing? Are those lost too or do they get shuffled over to other slots in other cities?

What if those culture buildings are holding great works of art, music, or writing? Are those lost too or do they get shuffled over to other slots in other cities?

They are moved to wonders in the city, after they they are moved to slots in your cities, if you have no slots at all they are destroyed.

Hmm I guess I could see Rome's UA include that the culture buildings wont be destroyed when they take over a city. It's an interesting idea. Not sure about the other buildings, but whatever.

You know what would make it even better? A forum :D

Honestly, I'm still against the warmonger focus, I know Rome is famous for warring and conquering, but they are even more famous for building an empire that managed to last for almost 2000 years. That takes some serious infrastructure, empire-management and control, not just conquering. And considering how many warmonger civs there are already Rome have a chance to be different.

What if we compromise? New UA but retool the Arch to be a -sigh- forum that gives you infrastructural bonuses for empire building?

G

What if we compromise? New UA but retool the Arch to be a -sigh- forum that gives you infrastructural bonuses for empire building?

G

Sounds perfect, the forum was the backbone of the Roman empire after all, probably the reason they kept at it for so long :D

Now I just need to get rid of the steele and the pyramid and I've won.

So, any suggestions for the Forum?
I was thinking a unique market with some happiness(stability) and some economic bonus, maybe a bonus to gold from cityconnections or something like that. Production could work aswell, as could culture or some obscure buff to something else, like we love the king day.

Maybe the forum can keep the golden age points thing from the arch, but make it that they are gained by making buildings instead of winning battles. I kinda like the idea of Rome having some minor golden age thing, so I never had any problem with the arch.

Maybe the forum can keep the golden age points thing from the arch, but make it that they are gained by making buildings instead of winning battles. I kinda like the idea of Rome having some minor golden age thing, so I never had any problem with the arch.

Decent suggestion, keep them coming and we'll figure this out before Gazebo is back.

Now I just need to get rid of the steele and the pyramid and I've won.
Just those two? I'm surprised you don't dislike the Doge's Palace like I do. It's literally a unique building that you can't actually build. As for the roman forum, I feel I should point out that the Roman Forum already exists as a world wonder, so that should probably get a rename in we move ahead with this idea.

Just those two? I'm surprised you don't dislike the Doge's Palace like I do. It's literally a unique building that you can't actually build. As for the roman forum, I feel I should point out that the Roman Forum already exists as a world wonder, so that should probably get a rename in we move ahead with this idea.

Easy enough to solve, just rename it Forum Romanum or Forum Magnum. Honestly having both a Forum wonder and a Forum building in the game is about as weird as having the Angkor Wat wonder and the Wat Building.

I'm not really a fan of the Doge's Palace either, but I like it better than the pyramid the stele and the arch anyways. My main problem with the Doge's Palace isn't that you start with it, that I can deal with, but it just feels so boring. I mean with those stats, even if you make it a replacement for National college or some other national wonder it would still be boring. In all honesty I think the whole of Venice needs some work, but that really is a discussion for another thread and another time.

Top Bottom