Rome.

AsparustheSaiyan

Chieftain
So Rome used to be somewhat of a powerhouse back in R&F and Vanilla with legion rushes, Magnus and the ease at which they can expand made them a dominant force in multiplayer.

However, thanks to the new strategic resource requirement Rome seems to have been knocked off their pedestal so to speak. Legion rushes are not so easy to pull of now.

I wanted to ask the multiplayer community what they think of them now in gathering storm.

Thanks!

Legion rushes are still a thing. Remember everyone is in the same boat with resources, and the only way to defend a Legion rush is with resources dependent units. And, the other Roman perks, free monuments/trade posts/roads, still give it a substantial advantage in the early game. I still more times than not see Rome in the multiplayer lobbies. One GS change that has effected Rome is the way the map script generates more terrain barriers. But, that is a hindrance to all civs which are well suited for conquest.

Legion rushes are still a thing. Remember everyone is in the same boat with resources, and the only way to defend a Legion rush is with resources dependent units. And, the other Roman perks, free monuments/trade posts/roads, still give it a substantial advantage in the early game. I still more times than not see Rome in the multiplayer lobbies. One GS change that has effected Rome is the way the map script generates more terrain barriers. But, that is a hindrance to all civs which are well suited for conquest.

Fair enough! Just out of curiosity what civs do you normally see in the Multiplayer lobbies?

Fair enough! Just out of curiosity what civs do you normally see in the Multiplayer lobbies?
Inca, Mali and Maori/Hungry if host allows. Most hosts ban Korea, Sumeria, Nubia and Scythia, along with the two OP GS civs. Egypt has made a big comeback in multiplayer with their flood exemption.

Inca, Mali and Maori/Hungry if host allows. Most hosts ban Korea, Sumeria, Nubia and Scythia, along with the two OP GS civs. Egypt has made a big comeback in multiplayer with their flood exemption.

Nice! May I ask about Russia? (They are my fav civ.)

You see Russia on occasion. I see many players who regularly played Russia in RF have switched to Mali. Russia was a RF regular civ.

Fair enough. May I ask about China? Sorry about all the questions. I find these sorts of things really interesting.

That seems like an odd switch from Russia to Mali. I wonder why?

Anyways back to Rome. It seems they are still pretty strong with the legion nerf. I remember when Gathering storm first came out and many dropped them a couple of tiers because of it. It seems people are finding ways around it now if I'm right?

often Maori is banned in MP dont know why. i played it once and u start in the middle of the ocean!!!??? That sucks man

often Maori is banned in MP dont know why. i played it once and u start in the middle of the ocean!!!??? That sucks man
Before the recent patch, Toa in mass hit like muskets. Typical Maori play for me was head West, hit land and plant capital, make a settler, send out a couple scouts to find a victim, build mass warriors for upgrade. Didn't need a third city as I would be conquering 3-4 from the first coastal/near coastal civ I found.

Fair enough. May I ask about China? Sorry about all the questions. I find these sorts of things really interesting.

That seems like an odd switch from Russia to Mali. I wonder why?

Anyways back to Rome. It seems they are still pretty strong with the legion nerf. I remember when Gathering storm first came out and many dropped them a couple of tiers because of it. It seems people are finding ways around it now if I'm right?

China is a rare multiplayer choice. Not many players find their UU or UI useful.

Mali/Russia, you can buy units with gold earlier than you can with faith.

Rome are a good civ to start trying MP with because there bonus match up with what basic MP strategy is. Go for Iron working for Iron Working to get Legions/Swordsmen. The strength of your cites is based on the strength of your units so you want those 36 strength cities. On the civics side your goal is get to the tier 1 governments and the extra monuments helps that.

Before the recent patch, Toa in mass hit like muskets. Typical Maori play for me was head West, hit land and plant capital, make a settler, send out a couple scouts to find a victim, build mass warriors for upgrade. Didn't need a third city as I would be conquering 3-4 from the first coastal/near coastal civ I found.

China is a rare multiplayer choice. Not many players find their UU or UI useful.

Mali/Russia, you can buy units with gold earlier than you can with faith.
Oh ok that makes sense.

Which civ do you think is better in MP? Mali or Russia?

Top Bottom