RoN = Civilization Perfected?

Exsanguination

No longer here
I've been listening to Apolyton's audio interviews and checking out some sites on Rise of Nations and so far it pretty much looks like, to me, the perfect game. It is as though BHG has been lurking these forums and the ACS forums and taken everything Civvers want, and implemented them into RoN as an RTS. It is incontrovertible that this game is vey much like Civ, what with the resource/tech/unit system. The big difference I have seen so far is the city/national boundary idea, but I seem to like their version more. The idea that razing or capturing a city actually takes time is very appealing, and things like caravans and spies and the very intricate system of trade and economy is great. The only problem I have is that it is an RTS (I've played C&C and I hated it). RoN, however, is looking to turn many TBS players in RTS ones as well (ie ME). I will definitely buy this game the day it comes out. I love Cic3 and play it everyday, and this game just looks like Civ3 perfected and more.

Kudos to to the makers of RoN :goodjob:.

--Ex

This may be one of the few areas where you and I agree.

I am eagerly anticipating the release of RON and will make it a buy recommendation bases on the reputation of the designers and my respect for the time they have taken to focus on key details.

It will be a different game with a different style of play from Civ3 but for now it has my preliminary buy recommendation while PTW is a definate wait and DO NOT BUY until you run out of other things to do.

I am so excited about this game. I love the idea of doing more damage when attacking the flanks and rear. Now it actually matters how you arrange your forces and what formations you use.

What about playability though...real time games are notorious for Units not following the commands you give them or following them out in a way different then you want them to...For example in Empire Earth (before I exchanged it) I had a civ attack me...well I had a partial wall up and got control of my units and ordered them to intercept the invading army well they were all strung out some went one way some went the other and became easy pickings. This happened most of the games I played...So not to sound like a wet blanket but I'd hold off getting excited about a game that has only made promises.

With a little luck, it shouldn't be a major concern.

From the articles and beta reviews that I've read, Big Huge Games has done a terrific job programming the game to to execute player intentions. They have promised that it won't be an exercise of mouse dexterity.

I have played other RTS games like Empier Earth, AOK 2, Starwars Galactic Battlegrounds. From playing Civilization for many years. I beleve that RoN will be a good mix of Civ3, AoK, EE, and various RTS Games that are out there on the market :).

Maybe, if people press hard enough, there will be an option to select turn-based-game, like there is an option in Civ-PTW for timed games?

Originally posted by smalltalk
Maybe, if people press hard enough, there will be an option to select turn-based-game, like there is an option in Civ-PTW for timed games?

You will never know ;). They might "secretly" put that option in that game :). But I am not sure if it would work in a RTS environment since you will have units moving all over the place at RT.

I’ve had an opportunity to play the two Press betas of RoN. Here are a few impressions:
  • This isn’t exactly a real-time Civ or academic geo-political simulator.
  • Regardless of the overall look of the graphics and interface, RoN also isn’t Age of Whatever or Empire Earth.
  • RoN is its own game – or games, with all the options – and has a feel all its own.
  • Depending on the setting options used, RoN can be played in twitch-happy fashion or as a slower, more deliberative game.
  • It is faster paced than Civ, and not just because it’s RTS; it’s designed to give a sense of the flow of history, though you can designate the start and end ages as in EE.
  • Even at its slowest, a standard game of RoN will rarely last as long as a Civ game – with the exception of the grand single-player campaign, “Conquer the World” (CTW).
  • CTW is a hybrid turn-based campaign playable with any of the 18 nations in the game; it is played out on a Risk-style map of the world in interspersed real-time scenarios with each game age requiring several turns; this is the RoN feature possibly most attractive to Civilization fans (I played out a full campaign as the Mayans and my total game time was around 12 hours).
  • The Press betas were a bit buggy and unstable (what else?), but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time with them and RoN is at the top of my 2003 anticipation list.

Can you PM me the info to get this beta please.

Originally posted by Goonie
Can you PM me the info to get this beta please.

Same here. Im interested :D.

Hi Erez and everybody! I received the Preview Betas of RoN through journalistic rather than contest channels. However, now that BHG/Microsoft have delayed the game’s release to May 20th in North America, GameSpot is offering subscribers to GameSpot Complete a chance to either get a beta or participate in a drawing to win a beta (details forthcoming at GameSpot sometime on Friday, March 14th).

Apart from that, you might try contacting Microsoft Game Studios directly. They have a local playtest program, but RoN testing is being handled by another group (I think).

I don't think RoN is a more perfected version of Civ3. RoN is more of Risk and RTS games combined than Civ and RTS games combined. You may play RoN in conquest mode but it seems to me it is more like Risk. Look at any of the conquest mode RoN screenshots, the map looks like a Risk board.

The only things which is real similiar between RoN and Civ3 are the unique units, several regular units, the ages, and some of the civilizations/nations which are included.

Mobilize' RON have a huge resources planing, like in civ3
And diplomacy.
But the map looks like risk (or a NES if you know what is a NES here in CFC)

I just recently found out that resizing the images is easy and doable. I'm planning to do that to all the buildings, etc, and try to make the game more civ-like as possible.

I can't really do any programming tho

Top Bottom