Ron Paul at the PBS debates, you know, the racist guy.

from a newsletter written by someone else for him... it happened ages ago, yet people keep loving to bring it up.

from a newsletter written by someone else for him... it happened ages ago, yet people keep loving to bring it up.

:nono: I hate how people love to go out of their way to bash this guy. If he is such a bad candidate he will do or say something dumb eventually anyway right?

He seems to be rousing up the old base of the GOP which is cool - maybe they will see who their base really is because of him. Allthou I highly doubt he will get the nomination :(

At least more people are paying attention now then that did when he ran as a Libertarian :goodjob:

I am not saying I like him but, I do love the difference of opinion people are finally getting to here. :goodjob:

The war on drugs is a complete joke and should be renaimed " the war on people who are trying to fill some sort of void/boredom in there lives "

if WNs look at just that part in support for him, then it isn't something incredibly insignificant

I thought that it was funny last night how the only parts of the PBS debate that made their way onto youtube were the parts dealing with Ron Paul. Sure I wanted to hear what he had to say the most, but I also wanted to hear one of the other guys make a total jackass out of theirselves.

The war on drugs is a complete joke and should be renaimed " the war on people who are trying to fill some sort of void/boredom in there lives " - Bronx Warlord

Oh yeah, that's just what I want. More people in this country filling the void/boredom in their lives, wasting their money, on something that destroys their bodies instead of doing something productive with it.

How is Ron Paul the "racist guy"?
As a libertarian-minded sort--and I can't believe how many members identify themselves the same way at this site--is this the guy I should support? His foreign policy seems to be quite libertarian--he sounds like George Washington in his farwell address for crying out loud! :lol:--but is he reliably libertarian when it comes to fiscal policy?

Slightly off-topic, but I would also like to know more about this allegation of racism directed against Paul. I have zero tolerance for racism, so if that charge against Paul could be substantiated, it would represent an automatic disqualifier for me. :sad:

So what's the dealy here? :confused:

Oh yeah, that's just what I want. More people in this country filling the void/boredom in their lives, wasting their money, on something that destroys their bodies instead of doing something productive with it.

He says we should treat it as a problem - like alcoholism - instead of a crime.

Which is, IMO, a far better way of going about tackling it.

Agreed aneeshm. The practice of locking up non-violent drug addicts doesn't seem to be having a positive effect. So what other reason would we have to do it? I hope we haven't been reduced to simply seeking revenge against drug addicts in this society.

As a libertarian-minded sort--and I can't believe how many members identify themselves the same way at this site--is this the guy I should support? His foreign policy seems to be quite libertarian--he sounds like George Washington in his farwell address for crying out loud! :lol:--but is he reliably libertarian when it comes to fiscal policy?

Slightly off-topic, but I would also like to know more about this allegation of racism directed against Paul. I have zero tolerance for racism, so if that charge against Paul could be substantiated, it would represent an automatic disqualifier for me. :sad:

So what's the dealy here? :confused:

I was being sarcastic though im sure a quick google search will let you find all sort of accusations of Ron Paul.

Of course you will get flak when your over the target, that goes without saying.

He says we should treat it as a problem - like alcoholism - instead of a crime.

Which is, IMO, a far better way of going about tackling it. - aneeshm

I don't want that either. As bad as the problems are due to drugs in society, the problems associated with alcohol abuse are far worse. And our treating it...as a problem...has killed thousands of people in this country.

OK, I understood the joke, Amin001. It made me smile. And yes, I agree that "being over target" will attract some flack.

If the allegations of racism turn out to be true, Paul is out. But if they are no more substantial than a collectoin of assumptios, innuendo, and outright lies, I'll do my part to let that be known too.

Maybe Ill start a thread on the Paul/racism subject in the near future, but I'll see how this one plays out first. Thanks.

If by libertarian you mean anti-immigration, gay marriage, and abortion, then yes, he is libertarian.

His fiscal policy is very, for lack of better phrases, "anti-government."

OK, I understood the joke, Amin001. It made me smile. And yes, I agree that "being over target" will attract some flack.

If the allegations of racism turn out to be true, Paul is out. But if they are no more substantial than a collectoin of assumptios, innuendo, and outright lies, I'll do my part to let that be known too.

Maybe Ill start a thread on the Paul/racism subject in the near future, but I'll see how this one plays out first. Thanks.

Sounds good, bytheway did you watch the videos i posted? I believe he was speaking of how the drug war has been putting a disproportionate amount of african americans into the prison system among other things.

If you find substantial evidence that Ron Paul is a super nazi, tell me because I would like to know if I have been supporting a nazi or not. hahaha

GoodEnoughForMe said:
If by libertarian you mean anti-immigration, gay marriage, and abortion, then yes, he is libertarian.His fiscal policy is very, for lack of better phrases, "anti-government."I'm not sure if there is a solid libertarian stance on immigration or not. Personally, I am very pro-immigration.
I don't know if there is a unified libertarian stance on immigration or not. Personally, I am very pro-immigration.

I'm a lot more sure of myself when it comes to gay marriage. The libertarian stance on that issue should strongly support equal rights for all, including homosexuals. That probably shouldn't be considered a pro-gay marriage opinion--I don't think society has a right to dictate who a person should or should not marry--I prefer to think of it as an individualist and anti-discriminatory opinion.

I don't even dare address abortion! I'll just say that I would be willing to support a candidate who opposes it (within reason).

Anyway, thanks for the input. :)

I don't know if there is a unified libertarian stance on immigration or not. Personally, I am very pro-immigration.

He isn't though. Really, he is more of an extrememly free-market, fiscal conservative, with an isolationist stance and the moral beliefs of a religious right candidate.

brainpan said:
Anyway, thanks for the input. :)

No prob. But Ron Paul is not a libertarian. :)

He isn't though. Really, he is more of an extrememly free-market, fiscal conservative, with an isolationist stance and the moral beliefs of a religious right candidate.

No prob. But Ron Paul is not a libertarian. :)

I just love how being against the murder of children is enough to make you NOT a libertarian.

I just love how being against the murder of children is enough to make you NOT a libertarian.

Well, to be fair, the term has a LOT of discrepencies. I would say it is less defined than liberal or conservative. I think his hard stance on immigration, and his, er..., shaky stance on gay rights, like banning gay adoption, and his stance against stem cell research is representative of a non-libertarian stance. That's why labels get annoying and pointless oftentimes though, as they cause disagrement over what they mean in the first place.

I won't go down the abortion road, because that's an entirely new thread.

Top Bottom