Ron Paul just kills his own campaign...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobBoss

Off-Topic Overlord
Not that he had much of a chance to begin with. But here he just destroyed himself. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/12/ron-paul-ordered-bin-laden-raid/

Rep. Ron Paul, a soon-to-be presidential candidate known for opposing U.S. military intervention overseas, said if he were president, he would not have duplicated President Obama's plan for taking out the man responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

Thank you Rep. Paul for proving beyond a doubt that you have no business what-so-ever in running for President, and have effectively doused your candidacy with gasoline and lit the match yourself.

Now for discussions sake, are there any of our more libertarian minded posters thinking he is making sense?

Please discuss.

Well you can guess my opinion of him, but he's just saying he would have done things differently... he has no chance anyway and it won't help his campaign, but will it really destroy it?

Are you not a libertarian, MB?

Is there a reason the author of that article kept spelling it "Usama"?

As to the actual comments, I don't know enough about the story to judge. For all I know, the US did try to have Pakistan help and was rebuffed. If we didn't even try to enlist their cooperation though then yes, I think he has a point. It's bad PR to send strike teams into sovereign nations without even telling that nation's leadership what's up.

Does it matter? Ron Paul is nothing but the scrappy of Politics.

Is there a reason the author of that article kept spelling it "Usama"?
It's a better transliteration. (Though 'Usamah would have been better.) There is no "O" in Arabic, rather like how there is no "E".

In the United States, the only people who seem to employ it in the media are Fox News. Lipstick on a pig, of course.

Seriously I know how to play politics better then this :p

Obama did good, but I would authorise the raid EARLIER! On Christmas Day!

See I just got the presidency :p

This will play with the isolationists. But I don't think there are more than a handful of them in the US.

Which point is good?

That we should have arrested him, and that if he'd been hiding in another country we never would have done it that way

Not saying I agree with him, just think it's a good point. Personally I think the assassination of OBL was more for show than anything else and I find myself unable to care about it

That we should have arrested him, and that if he'd been hiding in another country we never would have done it that way

I disagree that either point is good. His comparison of England to Pakistan is simply appalling in its ignorance. He apparently assumes the UK is as untrustworthy as the Pakistanis are in regards to trying to find OBL.

I dont think anyone doubts the UKs commitment or competence in catching terrorists do you?

Not saying I agree with him, just think it's a good point. Personally I think the assassination of OBL was more for show than anything else and I find myself unable to care about it

If it were for show, it would have had better timing.

Not that he had much of a chance to begin with. But here he just destroyed himself. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/12/ron-paul-ordered-bin-laden-raid/

Thank you Rep. Paul for proving beyond a doubt that you have no business what-so-ever in running for President, and have effectively doused your candidacy with gasoline and lit the match yourself.

Now for discussions sake, are there any of our more libertarian minded posters thinking he is making sense?

Please discuss.
First, he didn't have a viable campaign to begin with.

Second:

Candidate Obama said:
If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will

Is this analogous to Howard Deans NYAAAA moment that sank his election chances back in 2003? But how? I mean we are still about 15 months out from the election itself, so why all the hyper-politicizing for this election?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=235479

I disagree that either point is good. His comparison of England to Pakistan is simply appalling in its ignorance. He apparently assumes the UK is as untrustworthy as the Pakistanis are in regards to trying to find OBL.

I dont think anyone doubts the UKs commitment or competence in catching terrorists do you?

I agree, not equally trustworthy. Really an arrest wouldn't have mattered since OBL wouldn't have been tried and executed

so, as I think more about it, seems like Paul just wanted to disagree with Obama, which of course will hurt him since most agree with taking out OBL.

If it were for show, it would have had better timing.

yeah, the whole thing struck me as showmanship, but I can't stop thinking, why now?

That's ridiculous (Paul's statement.) He probably wouldn't have sent those P-38s after Yamamoto either. Not that I was planning on voting for him anyway, but if I were, this statement would make me do an about face lickity split.

Did you just suggest that I have sexual relations with that woman, Mrs. Clinton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom