Ron Paul just kills his own campaign...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely none of these people surveyed were Christians...you know, cause they'd be supporting the breaking of the, you know, commandments...

Just cause you're being polled doesn't mean your opinion reflects any serious logic.

My point there was merely that objecting to the mission to kill bin Laden ain't no vote winner. It has nothing to do with how good the argument is or not (which, frankly, has nothing to do with voters believing it)

If you don't think you have a great chance of winning, might as well polarize and roll the dice. So in short, I think it's just a political gamble, since he has little to lose.
Because everybody knows what a canny politician he is, instead of being the true exception in American politics: An honest man who is willing to publicly state highly unpopular opinions no matter the political costs.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=552_1179300364

Wallace: "Congressman Paul, you're one of six house Republicans who back in 2002 voted against authorizing President Bush to use force in Iraq. Now you say we should pull our troops out. A recent poll found that 77% of Republicans dissaprove of the idea of setting a timetable for withdrawal. Are you running for the nomination of the wrong party?"
Ron Paul is not interested in the least in actually winning the presidency. If he were, he wouldn't commit political suicide so frequently.

My point there was merely that objecting to the mission to kill bin Laden ain't no vote winner. It has nothing to do with how good the argument is or not (which, frankly, has nothing to do with voters believing it)

Sad and true. Man, people are stupid...

Ron Paul's base prior to this would have no problem with his statements, so I'm not really afraid he'd lose votes.

And you are sure that would have continued to occur if we had allowed the Pakistanis to use their local police to do what they are paid and trained to do? Capture criminals who obviously aren't going anyplace, instead of executing them without trial?

If they were capable of doing their jobs, Bin Laden would have been taken care of years ago.

I think Dr. Paul knows what he's doing. For better or for worse, he's remaining morally and logically consistent. And for that reason, I'll sleep better at night not supporting the guy that can simply win the most votes. This isn't a middle school student class president election.

Sad and true. Man, people are stupid...

Ron Paul's base prior to this would have no problem with his statements, so I'm not really afraid he'd lose votes.

Winning votes, as you said, is going to be more challenging now, but I'll sleep better at night knowing I support the more consistent, moral, and logical guy than the guy who can win the the most votes.

Whoa, Atlas, are you talking to yourself? :confused:

Whoa, Atlas, are you talking to yourself? :confused:

Yes...why aren't you??? But seriously my computer is malfunctioning like a champ ;)

If they were capable of doing their jobs, Bin Laden would have been taken care of years ago.
Do you mean if the US had been been capable of doing a fairly simple job in a reasonably competent manner?

Reassessing The Cost Of The Post-9/11 Era, Post Bin Laden

WASHINGTON -- Osama bin Laden's death doesn’t end the post-9/11 era, but it does provide an occasion to look back at everything that’s happened since the attacks nearly 10 years ago and reassess the costs.

It’s been a long, grueling and enormously expensive time for this country, a time of endless war and massive fortification, of borrowed money and of missed opportunities.

There’s the human toll. More than twice as many Americans -- over 6,000 -- have now died in the two wars that followed 9/11 than did in the original attacks, along with more than 100,000 Iraqis and Afghans. Over three million Iraqis and 400,000 Afghans remain displaced. Several hundred thousand U.S. soldiers suffer from long-term war-related injuries and health problems, with more than 200,000 diagnosed with traumatic brain injury alone.

And there’s the extraordinary financial toll. Indeed, even as Washington officials panic about the growing deficit, much of the problem can be traced back to 9/11 -- not to the attack itself, but to the response, and particularly to the decision to go to war in Iraq.

The actual 9/11 attacks produced insured losses of about $40 billion and delivered a temporary blow to the economy. But that was just the very beginning of the financial hemorrhage.

Harvard scholar Linda Bilmes and Nobel-Prize winning Columbia University economist Joseph Stiglitz now estimate that the two post-9/11 wars will end up costing taxpayers somewhere between $4 trillion and $6 trillion. That includes not only money already appropriated for the military campaigns ($1.3 trillion at last count), but also the immense cost of long-term health care for returning soldiers, and such things as interest payments on all the extra borrowed money and the increased volatility of oil prices since the invasion of Iraq.

"One of the main reasons that our national debt has increased so much over this past decade is because of the spending on the wars and the military buildup,” Bilmes told The Huffington Post. “All of that money has been borrowed.”
How much has it cost Pakistan?

Bin Laden wasn't going anywhere and the US wasn't even sure he was there. It was completely absurd to effectively destroy our relationship with Pakistan for no reason whatsoever. I think history is going to remember this as one of the biggest foreign policy blunders of all time.

I find the notion that this will be regarded as one of the biggest foreign policy blunders of all quite ridiculous to be honest.

Probably, but that doesn't mean it was the right decision or that Paul is wrong. How would you respond to a more watered down defense like mine?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10490422&postcount=28

Since US foreign policy under Paul's worldview would be so drastically different, it's hard for me to postulate if there was a better way to "get" Bin Laden.

The idea that this particular move was one of the dumbest of all time seems pretty ridiculous to me though. Letting "Pakistan do their job" means he'd still be hanging in his crib an hour outside of the capital.

I find the notion that this will be regarded as one of the biggest foreign policy blunders of all quite ridiculous to be honest.
Yep - especially when held up against the codpieced costume party announcing Mission Accomplished on May 1, 2003.

@MB- This is simply partisan crap.

Ron Paul did not say that he did not think we should go after Osama, he said we should have done it differently. He is entitled to his opinion.

And for the record, I disagree with him, and I still support him after this. Its only one issue.

I doubt Osama being dead will stop terrorism anyways.

If this sort of thing can kill a campaign American voters are in worse shape than I thought.

Exactly.

@Formaldehyde- Which is exactly why I support him. I highly doubt he'd do any better as a Democrat though. Either way, he's alienating pretty much every partisan voter on the planet. And that is a good thing.

The idea that this particular move was one of the dumbest of all time seems pretty ridiculous to me though. Letting "Pakistan do their job" means he'd still be hanging in his crib an hour outside of the capital.
Right. Because everybody knows they are the ones who are actually the terrorists. That they would have merely assassinated the dozens of SEALs surrounding the site and given bin Laden new keys to another cave. That isn't "pretty ridiculous" at all.

Yep - especially when held up against the codpieced costume party announcing Mission Accomplished on May 1, 2003.
Good point. Merely embarrassing the entire country that way for no reason whatsoever really doesn't compare that well to the needless deaths of over 100,000 Iraqis based on deliberate lies and distortions. And let's not forget about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the fire bombing of cities in Germany and Japan that caused the deaths of perhaps as many as 1 million civilians.

It is just yet another absurd foreign policy blunder in a colorful history riddled with similar fiascos.

Was it worth the trillion or so dollars to kill a man who was dying anyway?

Think of what the trillion dollars could have done for our country. Libraries across the country are cutting hours, roads are all f-ed up, we're still dependent on foreign oil, economy is still pretty lousy.

Warprofitters are happy, our enemies are all riled up, we've killed a million or so civilians & sacrificed thousands of young men. OMG, Bin Laden is dead, now it's all ok! BS.

This last ten years we could have spent that money to help secure a hospitable planet for future generations (and the young currently living). We could have spent that money on medicinal, ecological, technological research, on studying the mind, the seas, space (well space would probably also be largely a waste but at least we wouldn't have all the blood on our hands).

These last ten years were so critical & we wasted them chasing a boogie-man instead of taking real stock of the problems on the horizon & trying to prevent them before they happened. Sad.

These wars have been a disaster. You don't need to be libertarian to see that. At least, unlike the rest of the right, libertarians are consistent in regards to their financial conservatism.

Was it worth the trillion or so dollars to kill a man who was dying anyway?
He wasn't just sitting in a room reliving his glory days. All of the evidence released in the past 2 weeks points to him continuing to have an active role in leading and planning AQ activities. Stopping that sort of thing is exactly the point of having a military.

Right. Because everybody knows they are the ones who are actually the terrorists. That they would have merely assassinated the dozens of SEALs surrounding the site and given bin Laden new keys to another cave. That isn't "pretty ridiculous" at all.
I'm not saying the Pakistani military police force are terrorists, merely that they haven't done a good job of eradicating islamist terrorist forces in their western border area. It doesn't seem at all inconceivable to me if they had been tipped off, Bin Laden might have found a way to 'get away'. Pakistan gets US military aid, and win politically at home.

I just find it really hard to believe that the guy could be so close to their military for so long and *nobody* knew. That either leads to incompetence (what they're pleading) or collusion. Either way, it seems sensible for us to come in and finish the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom