1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[IAAR] ROTQM11: RNGod's Opportunity to Quash Morons

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by pholkhero, Dec 8, 2016.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Pretty sure if you're at war, military units just mow down enemy's religious units. But I don't know under what circumstances the AI bothers to attack (see, e.g., Rex's example above).

2. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

:sigh:

I really wish this game was better.

The only thing of note was:

I started walls in a couple of our "frontier" cities as i think the biggest threat will be from barbs and i dont think we'll either be fogbusting or settling. Started a few water mills for production, improved our resources, started a trader in xian. Went Machinery>Stirrups for Knights, and Civil Service > "something-that-gives-us-bonus-production-to-melee-and-ranged-units" (the technical name, i believe)

The only way we're going to win the RNG objective is to hope religions spreads in the next set, and then capitalize on that. otherwise, we're borked like a Rex on prom night. I moved our troops toward philly (say hi to me!) w that thought in mind, hoping we get cleo's religion in our new city and the CS down there.

3. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

• ozbenno >> UP NOW
    • Imhotep >> on deck
    • nfora
    • Hero of Flames
    • pholkhero >> just played
    • Rex Tyrannus
    • Ruff_hi >> skipped

Offical[sic] progress on RNGod assignments:
    • Turn 55 rolled 12: "Cleanse 3 cities of Splitters (only our religion in 3 cities)" to be completed within 7 turnsets (currently 6 turnsets completed)

Attached Files:

4. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Maybe it is just naval units that can do it. Don't think land units can.

5. Ozbenno

OK got it. Good to see that I get to lose the first objective. But at least I get to roll the second!!

Did we create an inquisitor?

Is Yerevan one of the CSs? If you become suzerain then you get to pick the promotions your apostles get and one of the promotions is "cleanse city of all other religions".

6. Ozbenno

The RNGod surveyed his realm and again sighed.

"It's really not that hard, cleanse 3 cities of splitters I said and have they done it, no they haven't. They will feel my wrath soon if they do not do as I instruct."

"Um, master?"

"Yes Ozbenno you lickspittle, what do you want?"

"Well so devoted to you are the people of Judea that only one nest of splitters to cleanse actually exists in your mighty empire."

"So?"

"Then how are we to accomplish your will master?"

"How long ago did I give this task to you Ozbenno?"

"Well theoretically you didn't give the task to me master, you gave it to Rex and what gives answering a question with a question anyway?"

"Are you looking to be smoted or are you just thick? How long ago did I give this task to you Ozbenno?"

"Well 60 turns ago give or take the Hippo taking an extra one, exuberance of youth and all that."

"And has that nest of splitters been cleansed?"

"Well theoretically no it hasn't."

"Well more like actually it hasn't, but anyway in that time have you conquered any cities?"

"Yes, on that front we have been vigilant in doing your will, we have conquered and destroyed the Chinese and taken the American capital. You must be pleased in that master."

"Why? Did I ask you to do these things?"

"Well theoretically no you didn't"

"Well more like actually no I didn't, but why have you allowed the blasphemers of Ra-Kedet to live?"

"Um, well I'm not too sure about that master."

"And why have you allowed the defilers of Jerusalem to live"

"Well we are their suzerain and they have been most helpful in the war of the Chinese."

"So you allowed these splitters to live and prosper instead of conquering them and cleansing them of their sins as I instructed."

"Well theoretically yes we did"

"Well more like actually yes you did, and what about the heretics of Nan Madol?"

"Actually if we become their suzerain we can levy their armies and that is a Steam Achievement."

"So if I understand your whining correctly, you have 4 sets of splitters available to you and I only wanted three cleansed. I tell you what, as I am a benevolent RNGod you can have 10 more turns to do my bidding."

"Thanks you kindly master, 10 more turns will be most helpful, 20 turns will be tight but maybe we can accomplish your goals."

"No, Ozbenno. Tem more turns from now, theoretically you only had 9 because the Hippo can't count."

"Well more like actually we're f***ked."

7. Ozbenno

OK I played a total of 2 turns and stopped to get some ideas and feedback.

Basically went whole hog on trying to achieve the goals because that's sort of the idea behind the variant isn't it? Didn't see any way to win but you never know hey, maybe the RNGod will appreciate the effort.

I moved the entire army in the Americas to attack Nan Modal to try and capture and cleanse.

Used the launch inquisition ability of the apostle that was fortified :nono: near Rome

And then immediately bought me an Inquisitor.

And inquisited the arse out of Antium. 1 of 3 achieved, turn 63 of 70.

So while marching on Nan Modal I noticed an Egyptian Missionary and did this (thus proving that military units can take religious ones).

Which had this effect.

2 of 3 achieved, turn 63 of 70.

So maybe we have a vague chance of this but I don't see where :confused:. Can people check the save and have a good hard look at where we can get the third cleansing from in 7 turns??

Attached Files:

8. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

might have torn it by killing the missionary ~ might've spread to our cities to cleanse

9. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

islam is the dominant religion in two cities, so theoretically we could find the 2nd and cleanse it. Do we have the time for that? Prolly not i think

10. Ozbenno

Wouldn't have gotten the cleansing of Nam Modal without killing it so had to be done.

11. Ozbenno

OK the silence is deafening!

I'll continue on tomorrow probably. Best plan I can think of is to get another inquisitor and send to Washington to hope for a spread there and send the first one north to Xian for a hopeful spread and I'll move the troops back to Philly.

What is the punishment for failing?

12. ThERat

ThERat Deity

As a lurker I suggest in the tradition of Brian, you have to play another 100 Civ VI SG's. Sounds harsh enough to me.

13. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

14. Ozbenno

OK time to get back on this horse and get ready to drop the pants for the inevitable red-hot poker at the end of this....

So the (desperate) tactic is to send the existing inquisitor north to Xian and hope for a spread of the religion that exists somewhere to the east and to create a new one, was going to send to Philly but rethought and sent to Ravenna as it is close to Cleo's holy city.

Otherwise, continue the war on Teddy to get rid of him.

Have sent the troops back across to the Egyptian front as we need to eliminate Cleo as first priority as it is the only front we can advance on and know that if we eliminate her there is no-one behind her, so we can close off that section (watching for barbs).

We try out a brand new government...

With shiny new slots which are filled

I was building a few crossbows at the time so picked Feudal Contract but when we're done building them should switch to Chivalry and build some Knights (I've started one in any case).

Maybe our punishment when we fail could be to have to switch down a government level and have less policy slots.

This was a great reminder of our upcoming failure

Gee thanks a free settler

It is next to Philly, haven't really looked at where would be a good spot, can be a task for whoever is up next.

Here is the situation down on the Egyptian front

Troops are on the way and should be able to clear this pretty quickly (Philly took 2 turns and had stronger walls). Should keep an eye on the other fronts and just mop anything up that rears its head.

15. Ozbenno

The RNGod stood silently by the fire, the Holy Poker of Ouch twirling idly in his hand as it glowed red hot growing hotter and hotter. "It is for their own good", he thought to himself. "My children must learn to follow my instructions, not pursue their own goals." He waved his hand and a doorway suddenly appeared in front of him, another wave and it opened showing a dishevelled Ozbenno.

"Enter child." intoned the RNGod. "Prepare for your penance and know that this will hurt me more than it will hurt you."

Ozbenno warily strode through the doorway, nervously looking at the Holy Poker of Ouch. "I seriously doubt that master but surely I am not to be punished for doing your will?"

"DOING MY WILL" yelled the RNGod. "I asked for three cities to be cleansed of splitters. Yes you cleansed Antium."

"As well as Nan Madol."

"But that is just two cities, not three. Now pants down Ozbenno and submit to my will."

"But what about Ravenna?" Ozbenno exclaimed

"Yes well there is another nest of snaked you have left to poison my word."

"But we cleansed it oh mighty RNGod."

"Really? I mean of course you did my child because that is what I asked you to do." Intoned the RNGod.

"Go and congrtualte my children for doing my will. I will have a new task for you soon Ozbenno. I will send word when I have decided what that will be. Leave me now."

Ozbenno steps backwards through the doorway and the RNGod snaps his fingers and it disappears. Staring wistfully at Holy Poker of Ouch he muttered " Well bugger me, I didn't see that coming."

Attached Files:

16. Ozbenno

OK so a new task is upon us. I look to the official variant rules and roll a d20 and a d3

Official progress on RNGod assignments:
    • Turn 55 rolled 12: "Cleanse 3 cities of Splitters (only our religion in 3 cities)" to be completed within 7 turnsets - completed turn 125
    • Turn 125 rolled 18: "Build 3 "Worship" Buildings (the final building for our religion)" to be completed within 7 turnsets
    Roster
    • Ozbenno - Just Played
    • Imhotep - OOP until Monday
    • nfora >> Potentially UP
    • Hero of Flames
    • pholkhero
    • Rex Tyrannus >> Potentially UP
    • Ruff Hi >> Potentially UP

17. Ozbenno

We don't have the final building for our religion yet but should be able to buy a couple of apostles to enable this easily enough. The buildings can be built or bought with faith as well.

Have no idea who is UP as the order is a bit fluid, so if one of Rex, Ruff or nfora can grab it feel free.

18. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

I'm sensing shenanigans. Are you saying Ravenna got a last minute Muslim follower that you cleansed without showing us?

Also, I'd like to check the custom roller on that WOTC site. I think it's broken and will always give us a 3. I'd suggest we roll a d6 and divide by 2, rounded up.

19. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

without looking at the save, i'd guess that perhaps they had a follower, but not enough to make the city convert. Either that or Shenanigans (which always sounds like a place secretaries go after work for happy hour).

re: dice rolls ~ we can always hand roll both dice if anyone has a d20 lying about ~ mine are in storage atm

also, seems like w Im a skip till next week, we should go w Nfora up, then proceed w the normal roster. I can get online now w my shiny new wireless adapter so getting the save and posting is no problem.

wonder what a game totally opposite to this would be like, where we can NEVER kill a unit ~ perhaps still terrible AI expansion as i hear even on the highest levels, the AI take forever to found a 3rd city even thought it starts w 3 settlers. maybe try a mod.

20. Ozbenno

I checked the dice roller after rolling to make sure it didn't always roll a 3 and it rolled 2 so it does work.

As for the shenanigans, your lack of faith is very disturbing Rex :undecide:. Ravenna got a spread of Islam. I didn't put it in the main report for the surprise factor.

I'll load the autosave later for the Darwinists to peruse.