Roundup Thread

Vokarya

Deity
I'm making a thread to look at what I still have to contribute to AND. I feel like I've accomplished a lot, but I'm running out of things to focus on. Eventually, we're going to wind up with a version of the mod where I don't have anything left to do except help ferret out bugs. I can't mod the DLL, and that's where the source of a lot of bugs actually lies. If we actually come to a conclusion of this stage of development and then decide to go in another direction, I will be right there to help.

I absolutely do not plan to stop modding. I have a lot of ideas that I do not want in the main AND mod to avoid complexity creep, but I plan to create and package as individual modmods that anyone can add to their copy.

Here's what I am looking at to wrap up.
  • Civics. I'm not finished looking at civics and seeing if we can make them less complex, especially the starter civics. We also have not discussed incompatible civics yet (the mechanic is there, but only implemented for one pairing).
  • Religious Wonders. I started this but haven't finished yet.
  • Promotions. I want to specifically look at the promotions for Mecha units. I don't like some of them very much. The numbers should be more comparable to existing promotions.
  • Unit Art. There are still some things I want to do with unit art. I want this to be done all at once so as to avoid repeating downloadings of the Units.FPK file. I want to try and merge a few more art styles (Asian/China, Roman/Byzantine), get some different art for the Colonist and Pioneer, and see if there are any ethnic arts that can be added. I have art for the African version of the non-core Executive units ready to go.
  • Under the hood values. I'd like to look at certain non-explicit numbers, especially AI Weights and Flavors. I want to make sure that these are not out of line.
  • Game Text and Civilopedia Text. This is one of the last things I want to do. Much of the Civilopedia text is out-of-date. Some of the game text could also be made more concise.
If there is anything else that anyone is waiting for me to do, let me know and let me know where I said it.

I thought of a couple more things I need to do.
  • Review starting cities. I would like to look at starting buildings by era and starting buildings for Colonist and Pioneer and see if there is some improvement to be made. I think Pioneers could start a city slightly larger than size 4.
  • Review Barbarian building capabilities. The Barbarian civilization has many items that are called out as not being able to build. Each item has to be individually called out. I should probably review the list and see what holes there are.

I thought of a couple more things I need to do.
  • Review Barbarian building capabilities. The Barbarian civilization has many items that are called out as not being able to build. Each item has to be individually called out. I should probably review the list and see what holes there are.

I notice they'll still try to build rams and catapults when gunpowder units and above are available. Even if they've got access to hooked up resources that enable stronger units, they'll only ever build primitive siege weapons.

I notice they'll still try to build rams and catapults when gunpowder units and above are available. Even if they've got access to hooked up resources that enable stronger units, they'll only ever build primitive siege weapons.

That's a convention I'm carrying over from BTS. In BTS, the barbarians are not allowed to build any kind of siege units. I let them build ram-type units so they can threaten cities that have a building that protects them if the defenses aren't reduced (Labyrinth of Knossos or Castle Gatehouse).

That's a convention I'm carrying over from BTS. In BTS, the barbarians are not allowed to build any kind of siege units. I let them build ram-type units so they can threaten cities that have a building that protects them if the defenses aren't reduced (Labyrinth of Knossos or Castle Gatehouse).

Is it possible to tell them to stop building them after a certain point? Since after a while those units really aren't going to pose a threat no matter how many of them they have and they do seem to love building them.

I absolutely do not plan to stop modding. I have a lot of ideas that I do not want in the main AND mod to avoid complexity creep, but I plan to create and package as individual modmods that anyone can add to their copy.
I love you.

One thing to wrap up, I guess you never promised but you'll probably feel responsible for, is to comment files created or edited so they're scrutible to future modding.

For example an incompatible version of the Music Pack breaks research rates, I didn't know so spent a while discovering all the redundant rate tweaks accumulated over the years. I have no idea which is the "real" variable.

I love you.

One thing to wrap up, I guess you never promised but you'll probably feel responsible for, is to comment files created or edited so they're scrutible to future modding.

For example an incompatible version of the Music Pack breaks research rates, I didn't know so spent a while discovering all the redundant rate tweaks accumulated over the years. I have no idea which is the "real" variable.

If you're just playing with AND without any additional modmods, then the latest version of the core mod is the real variable. Modmods can be installed as separate modules. In that case, it's up to the modmodder to make sure that only the variables that are SUPPOSED to be changed are changed, and no others. Modules get loaded last, so they can add to or overwrite the core mod files.

@Vokarya,
I have started an Conversation with you.

JosEPh

Top Bottom