1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Route / Waypoint newly-built units

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by nccrush001, Apr 10, 2015.

1. nccrush001

nccrush001 Chieftain

Any way to route or waypoint newly-built units from a city?

2. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

The same way you route every other unit once built? Not sure I'm understanding you right.

There's no way to set a pre-destined route before the unit is even built, I don't think. Civ. isn't an RTS game, real-time waypoints aren't something I think would be considered.

(add to that the fact you can't queue units, which further makes such a waypoint redundant)

3. nccrush001

nccrush001 Chieftain

Most games would have some way to, for instance, left click on a city, then right click on a tile and have units automatically sent there once built (usually indicated by a "flag" or some indicator being placed on that tile).

The concept has nothing (necessarily) to do with "real-time." The ability to do this would be useful regardless of real-time or turn-based.

1. You can queue units.

2. It would be useful regardless of the ability to queue units or not queue them.

Anyone know whether such an ability exists?

Thanks.

4. Fins

Fins Warlord

As far as i know - doesn't exist in Civ:BE.

Its usefulness is positive in both RTS and TBS, yes. However, its importance is much higher in RTS than in TBS, because in RTS, the time spent to manually send every unit to its "default destination after being built" affects gameplay results, while in TBS - it does not.

5. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

Afaik that ability doesn't exist in BE, and doesn't exist in the Civ V engine.

I've found (in other games) that they can be useful initially, although can be a liability if discovered by another player/AI, as it's relatively easy to create an ambush situation.

6. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Ahh, I didn't realise queueing was possible, was that a patch addition? I thought they only made it so you could view your last-built structure / unit.

I didn't say the concept would be useless however, so please don't act like I did. I simply consider it a bit redundant personally.

7. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Queuing was always possible, but it's somewhat hidden and deactivated by default.

8. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I realize that civ5 was the same way but I feel like this aspect of the UI is clumsy. Why hide the fact that you can queue things? Why require the player to activate the queue first? Why not have something more elegant like how SMAC did it, where the queue is on by default and the player can simply click what they want and it adds to the queue?

9. nccrush001

nccrush001 Chieftain

You seemed to imply that it wouldn't be so useful either in a TBS setting, or a non-queueing setting. I was simply saying that the usefulness of it isn't related to either.

10. Ryika

Well, but it does have a lot to do with RTS vs TBS. An RTS without being able to queue units is basically impossible to play without godlike apm, in an TBS it's more an annoyance than anything else, as you have all the time in the world and Civ 5 will even select that unit for you.

11. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Pretty much what Ryika said!

12. Fins

Fins Warlord

I've said it above too, in general terms, yes. But the way Ryika puts it is too cathegorical, i think; it can be possible to play RTS without any building queue - if memory serves, Warcraft 2 didn't have it, right? And still it was quite playable - to say the least. :)

P.S. I'll rant the sky while i'm here, a bit. I remember playing through Dune 2 some ~23 years ago or so. That's an RTS DOS game, and it's jenre-defining RTS game much, even. It is the earliest example of an RTS game i played which features a build queue - release date of Dune 2 is January 1st 1992. Though i never played Dune 1, i must say... Modern times (ever since 1997, when 1st Starcraft made that "RTS ver.2" revolution), "rally point" in RTS games is de-facto standard, yes. And now, some ~20 years later, a game which in fact _does_ have path-finding built into it - can't feature a button which whole huge generation of Starcraft gamers see as an absolute given thing, eh. Yes it's TBS, not RTS, but i mean - 20 years, you know? Quite a time to spread a little convinience between two close enough game jenres, right? But they still don't make it somehow. Sad, isn't it. But this whole rant at least made me nostalgic about Dune 2, and i quickly found that this old "dinosaur" of RTS jenre is not just not dead - but it's even free and getting better, despite the age. And i see some good-apm people are still playing it, too. No advertisement, no budget, no "developer" and no "publisher" - good games live on, you see, because people love them. :)

13. Ryika

Never played an RTS in competitive multiplayer, have you? When missing to build the next unit for a few seconds because you were occupied micromanaging your units that are fighting becomes a real problem on the long run that's a whole different story than playing against an AI (or even playing campaigns) where stuff like that just doesn't matter as much.

But Warcraft 2 is probably one of the games that didn't punish players that much, as the amount of units produced is rather limited. Compare that to a game like Starcraft though (a game that, if my memory is correct, technically had a unit queue that should ideally never be used though, as resources are invested instantly, not when the unit actually starts building), where you have to manage huge armies, micro-battles, new-built units, workers, unit-production, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ...there's a reason starcraft was dominated by korean Players. They're machines over there. :D

14. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

no. there is no rally point mechanic in civ5/be that I am aware of.

civ4 did (does) have a rally point per city. civ4 is actually a better game. :goodjob:

the need for a unit queue is inversely proportional to the time a unit is built.

15. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Keep in mind that rally point make no sense in a 1 UPT game, since only one military unit can occupy the rally point tile.

16. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

nope. keep in mind that the unit traveling to a rally point will take some turns to get there. by then, troop positioning will change.

17. Browd

Unless it doesn't.

18. Fins

Fins Warlord

If it doesn't, rally point can and should still work, with new units considering their arrival to rally point complete as soon as they enter any tile which is minimum possible (at the time) distance to the "proper rally tile".

And IRT another gentleman who said about the need for queue being nil for zero-time-building case: true, true, but, Ryika didn't say "except RTS games where units are built instantly", did he. Which is why i replied the way i did...

19. Browd

Then you are describing a "rally region" not a rally point.

20. Fins

Fins Warlord

Nope. The rally point is still a point, a single tile. It is behaviour of units in certain circumstance i describe.

If you are target practicing and aim to hit 10 points, but because of anything your shot only scores, say, a 7 - it doesn't make "i wanna hit 10" any less valid, nor does it make the size of the "10 points area" any different.