1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rove: "Congress Pushed Bush to War in Iraq Prematurely"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FriendlyFire, Nov 27, 2007.

1. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

This is beyond comprehension !

Given how spinless and totally ineffective the democrates have been, especially caving in to accusation of being unpatriotic for critising the Bush administration time and time again. Sigh It would be hilarous if it wasnt so serious.

2. George2816

George2816 Emperor

Umm don't tell me that the non-liberals are going to be blaming the liberals for iraq war mess, are they?

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Bush was given an authorization to use force, not a mandate. The mandate for the White House at the time was Jeff Gannon.

4. Damnyankee

Damnyankee Honest Abe

Gotta love historical revisionism.

5. JollyRoger

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/09/20020924-1.html

6. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

I blame Congress much more then I blame Bush for the vote to to war with Iraq. (How one can invade a nation and over throw it's goverment, and NOT call it a war is beyond me)

It's Congress that has the power to declare war, not the POTUS. Congress can't just pass off it's constitutional duty, and they say it's not our fault.

The U.S. constitution is very clear on this.

7. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

Then nobody's at fault since we didn't declare war! Hooray!

8. JollyRoger

Well Congress never declared war and Bush has yet to ask them for a declaration - so I guess Congress can't claim credit for the Great Iraqi Cakewalk.

9. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

This is why wars should be formally declared, so there is a clear sense of responsibility and a definitive direction to head.

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

yup... and our "independent" courts should have stepped in immediately to inform Congress and the President they are violating the Constitution. This was a complete failure of the federal government and the complicit media... To hell with them all...

except Ron Paul ;)

11. JollyRoger

I think the responsibility for this one is fairly clear . . . Bush wanted to invade Iraq (and apparently leave office with our forces still there) and Congress, through funding him, has enabled him. The only ones with no responsibility are those that have voted against every authorization and supplemental funding bill. Now as to degree of responsibility . . . that would fall in proportion to the aggressiveness in pushing the scheme on the American public and I think it is pretty easy to figure that one out, even without Rove's "help."

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I believe the first Gulf War was an authorization to use force if the Prez decides too, Vietnam and Korea were also dubious at best. I think WWII was the last was Congress actually declared.

13. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Sadly enough, it seems some people really really believe that.

No, they just gave him the money, a blank authorization to invade Iraq and overthrow the goverment. BUT NOT to go to war with Iraq, LOL.

And yea, Rove is just trying to spin this. Like wow, who would believe that.

14. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

It's not to late! Let's dig up Saddam's corpse and declare war on it right away!

15. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

No doubt, we all saw the propaganda campaign... The lies, the smearing of critics instead of addressing the holes in their story, and the unchallenged assertions that needed to be questioned. George Bush said British intelligence gave him information about Yellowcake. Okay George, what happened when you asked the CIA about this yellowcake? Umm...uh... thats a national security matter. Bu****

16. Stewbert 08

Stewbert 08 Prince

There already is a clear responsibility. We have three branches of government, two parties, and one president.

Well, one branch of government (the executive), one party (the Republicans), and one President (Bush) conceived of, sold, pushed, coerced the rest of us into, declared victory for, and are now going to be millstoned by this war.

As for definitive direction, I see neither WMD nor democracy in Iraq today.

17. Stewbert 08

Stewbert 08 Prince

Of course Rove knows that any amount of history can be falsified if you repeat it long enough and get your tools to squawk it on TV, in books, and on internet forums.

The next President better be ready, because Democratic or Republican, every tool from Mitch McConnell down to a series of really cool guys is going to be blaming the inevitable collapse of Iraq on him/her.

18. FriendlyFire

please read what was being said carefully. It's also passing the blame for the postwar problems because congress "RUSHED" to war against the will of the president.

Moreover, according to Rove, that "premature vote" led to many of the problems that cropped up in the Iraq War. Had Congress not pushed, he says, Bush could have spent more time assembling a coalition, and provided more time to the inspectors.

19. FriendlyFire

From the comments:

20. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Doesn't surprise me much at all.

If there's one thing I've learned about politics, it's this: contrarianism. A lot of the time, any given politician's stance on any issue can be explained very simply: because his or her opponent believes the opposite. Frequently there is no other reason why said politician supports whatever issue he supports.

I've seen Democrats vote against environmental protection laws--because Republicans wrote them. I've seen Republicans vote against tax cuts--because Democrats wrote them. It's not just about getting the campaign planks passed into law. It's also about getting the cred for writing it.