1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Expeditionary Force

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Strategy & Tips' started by civplayah, May 1, 2010.

1. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

My question is- How can you build up rebel sentiment if the King keeps upping his forces? Then he has massive forces and you can't declare independence without being crushed. Because of this dilemma, I have never won the game on any difficulty level. What are your tips?

2. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

There are two ways to approach this.

First - don't produce any liberty bells so your rebel sentiment stays at zero and the REF doesn't increase. However build printing presses and newspapers in your colonies and hire or train elder statesmen (but don't put them in the town hall). Then when you have built up your own forces make a late run at rebel sentiment by filling all your town halls with those elders. By the time the King realises what you are doing you have hit the 50% mark and can declare independence facing a tiny REF. I hate this approach :(

Second - play the game the way it was intended with a balance between all elements, including production of liberty bells. This allows you to grab your share of founding fathers as well as expanding your colony boundaries and also increasing the production within those colonies. Yes the REF will steadily increase, but so what. It only gives you more troops to kill at the end. The REF does not arrive en masse, they just trickle in and you can wipe them out with your dragoons as soon as they land. However don't let them attack your colonies, they have a very strong attack but poor defence. You can defeat the REF at odds of up to 9 to 1 against if necessary.

3. M07

M07 Prince

I think there are a third way to approach this.

I don't know if you use mod, but some of them corrected this aspect.
    More over, I think the official patch permit to slow down the military ships of your king .

4. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

Really the best way imo is to just pay all that money he asks for that slows him down a lot.
    but if you dotn want to do that build a printing press and news paper and THEN put elder state men in
    if you dont have the money or schools to have enough elder states men then build a city made entirely for building ships of the lines. build 1 ship of the line and 1 privateer for every one of his war ships. he will never touch your cities.

(I know when I was knew I couldnt win either. but then i learned that united colonies balanced in with self suficient colonies is boss. e.g. make one city with only farmers and a whole bunch of food then make another with 3 ore miners 3 blacksmiths and 3 gun smiths. they should have somethign like -18 food but if you trade the food from one city that you dont need to that one then you have some extra plot tiles that you didnt have to waste on food)
    below that file is the first time I tried doing that strategy. check some of my cities out. my ships destroyed his army so I didnt know what to do with my 35 units so I just conquered everything, and some cities weren't ready so make sure you only look at original cities like plymouth. (the file wad is the united cities. the other one is what united cities accomplish)

Attached Files:

5. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

I agree it's possible to win both methods, altho on rev level I prefer the former especially on 1 city challenge. Not sure why you say the latter is the way "intended". Historically there wasn't much rebel sentiment in the 17th century.

6. G0d_Strong

G0d_Strong Chieftain

Or what you could do is simply have 3 carpenters in a city with a lumber mill and just produce political points. Once you start reaching FF like Franklin, your bells will begin to increase exponentially--without you even having to put any one as a statesman. Getting Adams also helps A LOT!!

7. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

The problem with this approach is first you have to build the lumber mill and be able to afford 3 carpenters (and lumberjacks) by which time some of the best FF such as Cabral and Minuit will have gone

8. Freddy K

Freddy K Chieftain

I always wanted to try this carpentering strategy, build a printing press first get Cabral and Minuit, then dock/lumber mill/schoolhouse and start educating carpenters (or lumber jacks if money is tight).

Still normally at least 6 carpenter and 6 lumberjacks are needed for my factory town and gun city before its even possible to start producing political points. Possibly another 3/3 for the ship building harbor town.

It's also feasible to go immigration/education/expansion with no trade investing all man power into food/churches and lumberjack education and letting random new arrivals work the lumber mills, while 2 carpenters roam around and build those mills(and cathedrals?) everywhere. This way lumber resources are used to their fullest, king's demands can always be met and there are 6 open jobs in every city. George Washington to easily defend cities with just 25 guns, and keep the immigration rate high.