Royal Navy against Iceland

Carl v.

Chieftain
There is rumors that the British Prime Minister Gordon Brown will demand Iceland to pay for the damages caused by the ash. This action is taken mostly to show Mr. Brown is a tough guy before the elections this year. The ash has not made so much damage to property, so the British government wants the Icelanders to pay for lost income caused by the ash. This means mostly aircraft companies like Ryan air. To show he is serious, the PM is said to consider sending the Royal Navy to the little volcanic island in the arctic.
Is this just an internet rumor, or is this serious? Have anybody heard anything about such a British move, or can provide a link?
Exaggerating? I do not know. To ensure rich people got back the money they invested, the Labor PM used the terrorist laws to create the Icelandic bankruptcy. This Prime Minister is deadly serious.

I've not heard this.

Using terrorism laws was dodgy but it wasn't just rich people who invested - many local councils invested in the Icelandic banks.

Haven't heard this and don't believe it.

How is Iceland liable for the effects of a natural catastrophe? Since a volcano is not subject to control, there can be no liability for damages. Quite a different situation from banks.

In quite a few laws, it would be considered an act of God, whether or not you believe in God or not.

Ryanair could probably take over Iceland on its own if it wanted to.

It's just an internet rumour - there would be no legal basis for it.

If they didn't send in the marines after the failure of the Icelandic banks they won't be doing it now.

But Iceland didn't invade the Falklands this time.

Sorry, comparisons to 1983 doesn't work 'round these parts. (Besides, British voters cited the economy, not the war, as grounds for giving the Conservatives the vote.)

I don't know if it's serious or not, but Europeans generally aren't as trigger-happy as us. Nothing will come of it, and any show of force will be mostly just that: a show. Who in their right mind would go to war with ICELAND? Furthermore, any actual combat would probably depress Labour(spelled with a u for the sake of it being Britain)'s numbers enormously, since pretty much any country has no stomach for war.

Either way, I will certainly be watching with popcorn in hand.

The most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

There is rumors that the British Prime Minister Gordon Brown will demand Iceland to pay for the damages caused by the ash. This action is taken mostly to show Mr. Brown is a tough guy before the elections this year. The ash has not made so much damage to property, so the British government wants the Icelanders to pay for lost income caused by the ash. This means mostly aircraft companies like Ryan air. To show he is serious, the PM is said to consider sending the Royal Navy to the little volcanic island in the arctic.
Is this just an internet rumor, or is this serious? Have anybody heard anything about such a British move, or can provide a link?
Exaggerating? I do not know. To ensure rich people got back the money they invested, the Labor PM used the terrorist laws to create the Icelandic bankruptcy. This Prime Minister is deadly serious.

Utter nonsense.

Someone needs to make a Cod War mod for Civ, if only so I can play as the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and their armada of defence tugs.

Top Bottom