RPC, The Next Generation: King George III and the American Revolution

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
Welcome to the next RPC, The Next Generation. These games are meant to be fun and educational focusing on different leaders from the standard 52. Given Neal is playing an Ice-Age map I thought this was a good time to slip an earth-map RPC in! I first checked with Neal to make sure this will not interfer with the King of World series and he gave is Blessing (although what a Viking blessing is I am scared to ask).

SO here we are, Playing as King George III of England on a earth-map!

Tyrant and Scourge of the world!

All the New world leaders have been removed (no Monty, Roosevelt, or Hyuna) leaving the New World ripe for colonization! But it is an RPC folks, so there has gots to be rules!

First the settings

Huge Earth-18 Map
Epic Speed
Emperor difficulty (if it proves too hard we can reload)
Montezuma, Hyuna Capac, and Roosevelt have been removed opening up 3 colony slots.
We kept Financial and Philosophical for George III.
All leaders start with archery (including us)

Rules:

Very simple. We must colonize the Americas, build the palace there, and spin off Old World England as a colony. Thus we must win the game as America!

It is essentially a repeat of the Classic Joao game
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=271393

A view of our Tyranical leader

DOWN WITH THE BRITISH!!!

And the map

Play strategy is completely open, but I think I will prefer keeping England out of too many wars except perhaps razing Paris.

OK, Let's here some suggestions!

I was wondering why you called him a tyrant, I just though of him as the crazy king from the Napoleonic wars. Then I remembered what happened in the earlier part of his reign. I forgot all about the rest of the world.

Yes, taking revenge on the French is probably in character.

I was wondering why you called him a tyrant, I just though of him as the crazy king from the Napoleonic wars. Then I remembered what happened in the earlier part of his reign. I forgot all about the rest of the world.

Yes, taking revenge on the French is probably in character.

To Quote The United States Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson

"In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."

He is a Tyrant so we might as well call him one.

So this will end up with the English in America, and the Americans in Britain (unless another European power creates a colony first).

One detail is also going to be that you can't spin off Ireland as a colony, as you can only fit one city on that island.

Funny that the RPC takes place on Earth, while the KotW doesn't this time around :) Good to see ol' Tesla earning his retirement, too. Regarding Ireland, I've found that if you don't make a push for it, Louis will be more than happy to take it off your hands. In which case, you could probably get away with "gifting" it to your American colony after taking it by force. Or, heck, you could just settle it then give it to them anyway. I look forward to a dotmapping of the British Isles. I've heard some people fit as many as 5 (!) cities in there...

Are you going to war pre-colonization? I think in my shadow I'll avoid doing so for some challenge.

Speed astro ----> communism seems the way to go here. We want to set up new cities ASAP over there and that seems the fastest way to develop new cities...

I will be shadowing this on live stream :).

Should be good. Means a beeline for Astro, so definitely try taking Astro from Liberalism.

So, tech path? Agri/AH/TW/Sailing, and chariot "rush" France? Then settle scandinavia, Ireland, and North Africa?

My thoughts are to settle three English cities, Ireland, and perhaps 2-3 in Scandinavia for trade route bonus. Ireland can be gifted, I am sure the English er American Tyrant will take it. I plan to avoid Civil Service and use Great Scientists to bulb Compass and Astronomy. regarding teh French, I say we burn Paris to the ground as soon as we can. Remember I gave everyone archery so a chariot rush of Lou could be a disaster.

This map is LOADED with resources in Europe. Not sure if you want spoilers or not on that count.

When I play England on this map, I usually end up with just three cities: England, Scotland, and Ireland. If you hustle you can get to Scandinavia before Freddie or Cathy.

Also, there is no way to get to America without caravels / galleons ... there are strategically placed ice floes to prevent galleys from getting there a la Lief Erickson.

I would settle the three cities, found a couple in Scandinavia, take out Louis, build a few wonders, and tech up to Astronomy via Liberalism. Standard stuff. Your main competition for colonization will probably not be from Europe, ironically ...

This map is LOADED with resources in Europe. Not sure if you want spoilers or not on that count.

When I play England on this map, I usually end up with just three cities: England, Scotland, and Ireland. If you hustle you can get to Scandinavia before Freddie or Cathy.

Also, there is no way to get to America without caravels / galleons ... there are strategically placed ice floes to prevent galleys from getting there a la Lief Erickson.

I would settle the three cities, found a couple in Scandinavia, take out Louis, build a few wonders, and tech up to Astronomy via Liberalism. Standard stuff. Your main competition for colonization will probably not be from Europe, ironically ...

Spoilers are fine, most know the map.

Is it kosher to destroy European AIs who don't know there's an empty New World waiting for them?

It's always kosher for the English to kill the French!

Okay, I DID attack France, but only to nip some nasty culture pressure on me.

1894 Space

Spoiler :

Settled in place. In this game for RPC flavor I didn't want to hit Europe, but I sacked Paris to avoid getting flipped (london was already 41% french in the BCs...despite me getting both GLH and pyramids!). Still, a well-timed 6 sword hit on paris left it 6 vs 3 archers, and I took it. France got dogpiled, and eventually killed, with the only cities I took being paris (kept), and one he settled in ireland (razed).

With mids and a mixed GPP pool, I settled specs in the capitol other than the odd scientist used for bulbs. I went down education/philosophy, then bulbed astro (after tech/trading for pre-reqs), easily got astro first and started colonizing. While colonizing, I took communism from liberalism. After settling about 6 cities in the new world or so I liberated the 4 on England and 2 on ireland to Washington. I could not liberate Paris, because cathy declared on me earlier and captured it (I bought out of war). I also could not liberate Iceland, our colony wouldn't take it.

From there the course was obvious: worker/settler/musket spam with emphasize hammers and caste/communism so that the workers put workshops and watermills all over the place. Pretty soon the majority of the Americas (not all of it, china took alaska and egypt got 1 city in SA, while Sal got like 3 there in the southeast of it) were crawling in English workshop spam.

I kept the slider down while building cities, and once I finally had basic infrastructure (aka nothing but granary and forge) in most cities, I stopped building wealth, built libraries, obs, and universities, then cranked the slider up. I went from sagging in the tech race to eventual blowout tech leader.

Which is a bad thing for the AI, which at that point had less productive chops and was hampered by wars. 3 major power blocs formed: Cathy + freddy, hatty + mansa, and China + toku/mongols/izzy/etc (later beat cathy). Cathy declared on me twice total, but the 2nd time she fought washington, and he stalled her forces without any input from me at all (I gave him good cities after all, with stacked settled GPs and a good production base).

Once the race to the internet was decided, it was game over, and I got a TMIT-rare 1800's space finish:

The game was also covered in live-stream and should be available on demand there (hopefully I got the stoppage corrected now).

I have a question that's not actually related to this thread but to the map.

How do you change the AI's on the Earth map? I'd love to be able to change the map myself but at the moment don't know how. Thanks.

I have a question that's not actually related to this thread but to the map.

How do you change the AI's on the Earth map? I'd love to be able to change the map myself but at the moment don't know how. Thanks.

I struggle modding files alot, but this is easy. Start the scenario, go to world builder, and save. You then need to open the saved WB game and start editing the file. I profess no expertise here but TheMeInTeam has an excellent strategy article on how to do it. For this game all I did was remove the three new world leaders.

Much obliged.

Edit: While the video guide did help, I still have no idea of what measures I'd have to take to have a fully functioning Khmer civ with all their starting techs and the correct location and whatnot on Earth18 for example. Guess I'm beyond help :(

Much obliged.

Edit: While the video guide did help, I still have no idea of what measures I'd have to take to have a fully functioning Khmer civ with all their starting techs and the correct location and whatnot on Earth18 for example. Guess I'm beyond help :(

How I wopuld approach it is this. Create a dummy WB game with Sury in it so you see what his normal settings are, then copy those settings. Open the earth-18 WB save and remove one leader (Say Louis) and paste in the Sury information. Save this.

There are X and Y coordinates that involve intial placement that I have tried to change in the past but do not seam to take. However this can be solved by openign the Saved game with Sury in Paris. Go to Worldbuilder and add a Khmer settler and scout where you want in the SouthEast Asia. Delete the Paris Scout/settler. Save the WB game, then restart the scenario. I got this to work for a future RPC however with Louis it's a little buggy as you still get the view of Paris terrain and contact with Liz. It does work for Roosevelt though.

If anyone has a clearer way to do this I would like to hear it.

It's quite easy to delete contacts and terrain knowledge. You can delete visibility in Worldbuilder (click the red terrain-looking button), and you can delete contacts in the WB save.

Top Bottom