RR12 - A perfect spy

Basically I hate coastal tiles in non-coastal cities :D There is also the issue of the tundra down there, that makes me want to push north ( even if to press the other civs more to the north ) and being non-riverside with so much river around . But again it is a matter of preference... and the diference is not big .

Somehow thought it was only 1 sea tile in the bfc, but it's 2. Maybe 1N is better after all. :)

Imgur appears to work. The GFW is not exactly known for being consistent in what it blocks, apparently they have a problem with Imageshack, but the other hosters are fine. :confused:

Ok, after some pages of discussing where to settle, I decidec to go in place:
Spoiler :

A hut and some cash:
Spoiler :

And a lot of tundra to the south :(

Another hut and some interesting news:
Spoiler :

It looks that we will have some fun trying to not conquer this guy ...

Agri is in. I slotted BW after some discussion with myself about the merits of AH . Slavery wins :devil:
Spoiler :

And we get some meetups ...
Spoiler :

The first was a mere formality ... now, 3 Fin civs around + Monty . This will be definitely interesting.

I played until our first worker would be online. Here is the map explored so far:
Spoiler :

Time for our first discussions about where to settle. No one looks to be particularly close, the land is not particularly good around us ...

Attachments

• RR12 - A perfect Spy BC-3400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    44.8 KB · Views: 62
So do we want to settle aggressively immediately? Would make sense in general I guess, though with Monty we'd better back that up with bronze or horses.

Please put me way down the roster, rolo. I have rather imminent family expansion and thus won't be available for playing for at least a week, or maybe 2. Meanwhile lurking and commenting shouldn't be a problem though. :)

Looks like SIP was the right move. It will be nice having those 2 riverside GHs. Good production in this city.

The PH 1W of the corn looks like a good second city. Picks up some jumbos.

1SW of the corn picks up 1 jumbo and the sheep the PH site wouldn't get. And it's also riverside.

If we were pink dotting I'd also suggest looking at the jungled grassland 7 tiles directly north of our cap. It will restrict Mansa's growth to the south.

In fact give me five and I'll do a dot map (won't be the best but it would be a start).

I came up with a couple (without going near Monty yet, and Irish meaning of couple):

Spoiler :

There isn't really enough to go on yet, but the strongest sites IMO are the ivory sites or the desert tile which gets both silk and dyes (I know they're unusable). Strategically pink dot could be a good idea especially if we were willing to back it up.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 431
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 412
With what we know right now I vote "mine" on the above map. On a river, irrigated corn and sheep.

Need to see past the wheat to judge the other direction.

I like Brian's dot for the ivory, in fact it seems to me that's the best spot visible on the map at the moment. The one on the PH is low on both food and production in the long run by having no hills and less easily irrigable grassland, and it's one tile off a river to top it off.

Regarding the north, I think it's difficult to to decide until copper is revealed. That hilly ridge between the ivory and Monty looks attractive for a defensible frontier settlement, but we need to scout a bit more to the S of Monty's borders to see what's there. MM is too far away, unless bronze turns up near him I don't think it's worthwhile settling all the way up there for now.
The two hidden tiles near the dyes appear to be flatland jungle, it might be interesting to scout those for jungle resources as well.

If there is bronze to the W, I think the first city should go there. If bronze is elsewhere, either ivory first or that bronze spot if it's otherwise decent. I don't think we should consider the silver in the near future, the resource isn't worth wasting a settler on an otherwise rubbish site early on.

With what we know right now I vote "mine" on the above map. On a river, irrigated corn and sheep.

Need to see past the wheat to judge the other direction.

Ok missed the dot map but why don't we go 1S of mine spot (2 W of the sheep)? As far as I can see this will become a huge prod monster (4 grasmines and 2 plain mines) and it would leave enough room for Ivory as well as for silver spot!
I too think ivory would be a good spot especially as we don't wont mounty to get those phants!
So I'd vote for Ivory spot first while scouting a bit more to the east..

Techwise I'd finish BW and in case we want to go for GW masonry should be next. Otherwise I'd purpose AH --> writing.

Two reasons I chose the PH spot for the next city:

1) Better Defense against a possibly Monty attack
2) Better secures the ivory in case Monty settles oddly (although our culture is pretty good)

The "mine" site is probably better in the long run, but the PH site is probably more strategic. If we settle on the PH we have a decent city in the south to settle. Oh...and the PH site has plenty of production.

On a side note: This may be a game in which we pretend Zara is not creative and build/whip Steles immediately as if we had no culture. This will ensure faster 2nd border pops. (granted not every city needs a stele, but any cities that we settle towards the AIs should get them almost immediately so that we start accruing that extra culture immediately)

Two reasons I chose the PH spot for the next city:

1) Better Defense against a possibly Monty attack
2) Better secures the ivory in case Monty settles oddly (although our culture is pretty good)

The "mine" site is probably better in the long run, but the PH site is probably more strategic. If we settle on the PH we have a decent city in the south to settle. Oh...and the PH site has plenty of production.

On a side note: This may be a game in which we pretend Zara is not creative and build/whip Steles immediately as if we had no culture. This will ensure faster 2nd border pops. (granted not every city needs a stele, but any cities that we settle towards the AIs should get them almost immediately so that we start accruing that extra culture immediately)

Putting the city 1N would give even more prod.. In fact we'd loose the defence bonus but I'm not that confident, that we'll need it! I'd rather settle a spot for the long run and an additional "crap" spot directly in mounty's face (on one of those grass-hills next to him). And maybe putting the ivory spot even one north would be worth a consideration!

And yes I agree on the side note! we definitely should get those steles out as fast as possible within our border cities!

I'm fine with either option, but i do prefer long term considerations in here, since it is our city#2 and it is not a blocker. So I would prefer going with Brian spot.

BTW I might not be avaliable in the next days. One of my uncles passed away today ( RIP :( ) and I will most likely go to his funeral in the home town of my parents...

So , with that in mind, and as nocho asked to be put later in the queue, the roster is this one:

r_rolo1 - Just played
Thy_Spellcraft -UP
Brian Shanahan - on deck
lymond
Thrar
LKendter
nocho

On your uncle Rolo, the traditional thing is to say "I'm sorry for your troubles" so consider that said.

Hopefully he had a good life and went peacefully.

We don't have any consensus on where to settle do we?

My spot seems to be getting votes:goodjob:

And what's about tech? Do we want to go for GW?

I think so. As regards techs I'm not too sure, but sticking with BW is probably not a bad idea

And on a side note: Is there any reason for not adopting slavery?

Make the game harder?

So I'm going to take the Ivory spot next..
I'll try to MM things so we can get the settler out and start with GW directly afterwards!
Techwise I'll put a few beakers into AH as well

I think I'll play it this evening!

Played my turns so far..
Nothing much to tell!
We met thoose two guys:
Spoiler :

Techwise we finished BW adopted slavery and as you can see we've got copper already within our borders:
Spoiler :

Afterwards we went on with Masonry and AH..

To complete the picture here the north-eastern view:
Spoiler :

Just to have mentioned it: Our scout got killed by a Lion next to Korean's borders..

I finished my set the turn AH came in and our settler got finished putting the whip overflow into the GW. But next player is free to change the build as well as myst.. I took it as a placeholder 'cause we need it for our steles!

Roster
r_rolo1
Thy_Spellcraft - Just played
Brian Shanahan -UP
lymond - on deck
Thrar
LKendter
nocho

Attachments

• RR12 - A perfect Spy BC-2560.CivBeyondSwordSave
    53.4 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom