RR4- Spain on a lake..... Again :p

Wanted to play tonight ... but too many things to decide. :hammer::hammer:

First is prophet: :hammer::hammer: easy, I think hydra demands a 2nd shrine. It doesn't really matter if it is Buddhist or Jewish, I guess.

Second is the city location: :hammer::hammer: We could go for the cow, crab, fish down south, or we can go for the banana rice up north. I personally would go south (as it is more immediately useful). Note that we can see another barb city border just north of Angle.

Will play in another 24 hrs :hammer: :hammer:.

I think the shrine for the Hydra is almost a given

crab/cows/fish would be my next city, it will be a good :whipped: city and if Monty heads that way with his troops it takes him away from our main cities and gives us time to whip some troops. :ar15::sniper::hammer:

Thanks to the input, so shrine and settle south it is. :hammer::hammer::hammer:

I canceled the christian miss and concentrated on axes for a while. Target is to make sure we are ready should Monty declare, and also to aim for the barb cities :hammer::hammer::hammer:

But the Persians beat us to the northern one ...

We still have Angle remaining ... which I think the next player should be able to get in his earlier turn.

A CR axe has 61% against archer. We have 3 axes ready (1 no promo), and 1 more across the river as back up. If next player wants to play safe, then wait til the axe cross the river, but I don't think it is needed unless you haven't been syaing your prayers to the RNGod recently.

In my earlier turns, Zara plead OB. I used the opportunity to detect that he has dye but no ivory. :hammer::hammer::hammer:

Later in my set, he asked for a tech trade ... I peeked at what he has ... and boy, we are backwards!!! :sad:

We got a long-winded quest .... Boy, that is a lot of text! :hammer:

I didn't read carefully on what is needed for us to do ... I think need to build a few cities and spread religion around.

I also find it funny that the forest-fire event and a forest-spread occurs exactly on the same turn :lol:

Speaking of balance in nature!

I have started the AP, now left 11 turns, and another forest chop is in progress.

Monty has horse archers, so military wise, I think we need 3~4 more spears.

The new city has depleted our coffers, and we need more workers to road the area.

Attachments

• Spain on a lake AD-0350.CivBeyondSwordSave
    172.8 KB · Views: 49
Holy mountain quest is probably the worst quest in game. ( only competition in that regard is the blessed sea one :p )
Code:
Quest2:
	Holy Mountain
	Prereq: State Religion JUDAISM or CHRISTIANITY or ISLAM
	Obsolete: INDUSTRIALISM
	Active/Weight: 85/200
		Aim:
		Build 2*default number of players for this world size temples/monasteries (14 for standard), cathedrals count as 4 temples/monasteries to reveal the holy mountain peak 
		Settle at the holy mountain peak to control it
		Result:
1.+1 happy face in all your cities
The big issue is that the holy mountain has the bad habit of being in odd places ( because the good spots normally are already taken ) and it is not uncommon that it is impossible to fulfill the quest ( like in a 1 tile mountain ocean island ). And the reward is small for such a effort, I guess....

On game, I kind of agree with LK when he says that we should get the AP. It is thematic and may be helpful ( not that we can abuse it to get a cheap win, due to our rules ).

But anyway, some more cities and more troops would probably a better idea.....

Roster:

r_rolo1
Ad Hoc
GreyFox --> Just played
LKendter --> UP NOW
Thy_Spellcraft --> on deck

Good luck, and best wishes. I'm still not sure how you managed to lose the first game of this variant though. You'd better not screw up this one too, with a very nice cows + irrigated rice + double ivory starting position! ;)

And for those complaning about "a lot of plains tiles", this was the start for the Cuban Isolationists game:

The Civ3 game was even worse, with an ICE-olationist island, but that's getting really far afield. :)

Thanks for dropping by, Sullla ;)

Well, we lost the first game because we didn't pursued the Hydra or played a normal game, but tried to do both at the same time..... and we failed in both ;)

And about losing this... well, you and Sirian didn't had BtS AI around :p And neither monty and Zara ( Cyrus is more managable ) ;)

Queued up for tonight, along with an A&A turn, more pet trading (tagged), evony, mafia wars...

350 AD
OUCH - it is to late to fix it, but I wanted the AP in Madrid to stack the prophet points. I doubt Barcelona will ever give us a GP.
I realize Barcelona had a bit more production, but IMHO if we had started it in Madrid earlier we would have gotten it in a much better location.

375 AD
The empire expands with the capture of Angle from the barbs. As a bonus we capture a badly needed worker.

425 AD
(IT) We lost our scout to a barb archer.

540 AD
(IT) Construction is completed, and I start on iron working. We need to locate the iron.
The AP is completed, and I put the city on building military. I want to be ready with wacko Monty in the game.
Some jerk poisoned the water supply in Madrid.

580 AD
It is barbarian slaughter time, as three of them are killed this turn between Madrid and Barcelona.

600 AD
Our theology monopoly is broken, so I give it to Cyrus for monarchy, sailing, and $60. I realize sailing isn't a great with the tech cap, but I have a feeling we aren't going to get a lot of trade chances. We are now in HR.

I would keep Barcelona in pure military mode. We need the troops.
We need to think about our next city spot.
I doubled our workers from 3 to 6, but we still need more. I have two more under construction.
Now that we have monarchy happiness isn't a problem. Let us grow our cities. I already built a road to get Seville on the network.
Horses will come on-line soon, so we have a debate about researching horseback riding soon.

Now the question is when to sneak in Christian buildings for the +2 hammers. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I don't think there a question on if we will need to war. It is written in the wall since turnset 0 that we WILL fight monty, either by his decision or ours ;). Given that he is with hands full and the current power numbers, it is quite likely that we don't have time to settle more cities before the war.....

HBR is a must have next, when Monty comes we'll need phants,

At least one of Zara's cities is christian so the AP will give us a bit more leverage when it comes to war

Sorry abt the AP build. I did consider the stacking of GP points, but my main consideration is not production, but the need to keep pumping units in a city nearer to Monty. Plus there are other far superior way to get GP points (build a temple and run a priest) and we need only one more GProphet.

I think we don't need ore settlers. If necessary, build more missus instead.

--

Ehhhm just took another look at the save and noticed that we're running tribalism..:eek: Why the hell are we doing so?? And could anyone explain to me what's the reason behind having more than 120 gold in the bank and still running science at 50% to still increase this??
And about mounty: He has hands full but it's Zara who is his worst enemy. So a propper defence is needed but I'm not sure whether he'll really come for us!

Abt tribalism, we don't need to switch until we need to whip since we are spiritual. And once we whipped, we should go back to tribalism ASAP when we don't foresee any more whips in 4 next 4 turns. This will keep the chances of the annoying slave revolt event to the minimum.

Abt gold, I had no idea. I assume we jump to a lot of gold from the barb city. But it is good to have around 80~100g in the bank in case of a random event (you will kick yourself for not having that extra gold when for a fee of 75g, you can get +1 beaker for your library).

--

Grey Fox said it right - I like having reserves for emergencies. It saved us with the three barb attack as the one city only had a warrior in it. The upgrade let me kill 3 barbs at once with no pillages.

So here we go.
As ecxpected it was a truly calm set. There are only few things to mention:
In the year of our lord 680AD we spread Chrisianity to the city of Seville. And as we're going to build up our military we changed civic to Theo in 720AD.
Ironwork came in in 740AD and I changed to HBR. And someone founded Tao in the same year.. We're really far behind!!
In 760AD Cyrus asked again for OB and once again I declined!
In 780AD ths event stroke next to Madrid:
Spoiler :

I already send a worker to repair the damage.
And right at the beginning of my last turn, Mouty proved our picture:
Spoiler :

So I finished without moving a single unit. So next player should decide what to do.. Except out capital it seems we're quite save and yet no real stack in sight, only two HAs north of madrid.
So enjoy yourself! :lol:

Attachments

• RR4 AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    202.7 KB · Views: 67
Top Bottom